Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by flintlocke
There are dreamers...and then there are shooters. And the guys who posted above on the reality of field positions and wind doping are shooters. The best wind dopers in competition usually have wind flags out to range, are generally shooting over somewhat even terrain. You start shooting in winds in rough broken terrain with the vagaries the terrain produces, updrafts, downdrafts, eddies...it becomes a crapshoot no matter a few points here or there with BC and velocity. You can buy all the gadgets, the finest optics, a benchrest quality rifle, have David Tubb calling your wind....you will wound game.

Truth. The prc, treestand, foodplot crew fail to realize this, as most locales “outwest” during October and November are windier than a bastard, raining/snowing etc. folks nowadays would rather try to buy skill than actually hunt... funny stuff

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by rickt300
Define your idea of long range. Are you in the reasonable camp of up to 450 yards or are you in the hail Mary camp of 600 yard shooting at unwounded game?

Careful. Many people are far more accurate at 600 than a lot of us are at 350. Let’s not say something is a Hail Mary just because it is too far for you or me. Plenty of deer get wounded by people who never practice and take shots at your reasonable distances. Most people I know in real life have never practiced past 200 yards yet will shoot at a deer at 3-400 yards. Lots of guys practice at 1,000 yards and 500-600 yards would be a pretty easy shot for them.

AGREED X2 don`t be fooled a .257 caliber shoots a long ways out too as does a .277 caliber

Put me in this camp too. Either one will do nicely at ethical hunting ranges. If you want to punch paper at super long ranges (Anything over 600 yards) get a Crudmoor and have at it. But if you're shooting at game these two are just as good. In fact they may be better. No, neither one has a gazillon different bullets available but there's plenty to do what they were designed for, hunt at ethical ranges and kill game DRT.

Last edited by Filaman; 08/15/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've tried to get rid of anything 257 or 277 over the years. I much prefer 264 or 284.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Someone do a welfare check on Stick.

His absence from this thread is.....unusual.

Yes, we really miss Mr. Six-Twat-Six himself . . . he could wax eloquently I'm sure . . .

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
358wsm..few ? if you dont mind.how far max range and where will you be doing most of your hunting.there are a few that have given you great advive.you can have a 5 grand custom rifle built for long range hunting with 3 grand optics.wind and conditions always terrain temperature all play a major role.the less distance the better.i have been hunting for 45 years and shooting benchrest for 25.99% of the people on this forum will try to help with wonderful intentions.im assuming your buying a factory rifle and i could be wrong.your original ? was 25 06 or 270.they will both work well within 400 yds.out to 450 in my opinion.depends as also stated on what grain and type of bullet.if you have any ? pm me.remember hunting and shooting targets are a different ballgame.rifle accuracy is obviously critical.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
358wsm..few ? if you dont mind.how far max range and where will you be doing most of your hunting.there are a few that have given you great advive.you can have a 5 grand custom rifle built for long range hunting with 3 grand optics.wind and conditions always terrain temperature all play a major role.the less distance the better.i have been hunting for 45 years and shooting benchrest for 25.99% of the people on this forum will try to help with wonderful intentions.im assuming your buying a factory rifle and i could be wrong.your original ? was 25 06 or 270.they will both work well within 400 yds.out to 450 in my opinion.depends as also stated on what grain and type of bullet.if you have any ? pm me.remember hunting and shooting targets are a different ballgame.rifle accuracy is obviously critical.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

290 members (10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 264mag, 43 invisible), 2,084 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,151
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.