Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Steve Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Snowden should be in prison, but it would sure be a stick in the eye to the IC that kneecapped him for most of his first term.

Trump Raises Edward Snowden Pardon Hopes Four Years After Obama Said No

President Trump has been urged to pardon Edward Snowden after reportedly indicating yesterday that he was open to the idea.

The future of the former National Security Agency (NSA) contractor was being debated today after Trump told The New York Post he could consider letting Snowden return to the U.S. from Russia without having to face a lengthy prison sentence.

The suggestion not only raised the hopes of pro-Snowden campaigners who have long called for a reprieve, but gained support from Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky), who tweeted today that Trump should use his powers to pardon the exiled whistleblower.

"Employees of the U.S. government violated the Constitution and lied to Congress and the American people about it. Snowden exposed them," Massie tweeted, quickly noted by Snowden himself. "This is bigger than him. If he's punished for his service to the Constitution, there will be more violations of the Constitution, and more lies."

According to The Post, Trump had asked his aides about Snowden in the Oval Office, saying there are "a lot of people that think that he is not being treated fairly."

"I guess the DOJ is looking to extradite him right now?," Trump continued, according to the paper. "It's certainly something I could look at. Many people are on his side, I will say that. I don't know him, never met him. But many people are on his side."

Previously, Trump repeatedly spoke out against Snowden's actions. In one case back in 2013, Trump said on Twitter that he was a "spy who should be executed."

In 2016, president Barack Obama said in an interview with the German newspaper Der Spiegel he was not inclined to issue a pardon for Snowden, saying at the time: "I can't pardon somebody who hasn't gone before a court and presented themselves.

"I think that Snowden raised some legitimate concerns. How he did it was something that did not follow the procedures and practices of our intelligence community."

Three years prior, Snowden's revelations had sparked a global conversation. The former government contractor leaked a trove of documents to journalist Glenn Greenwald and filmmaker Laura Poitras, detailing a vast surveillance apparatus.

The files—published in a variety of newspapers around the world—outlined how nations were amassing huge quantities of data on civilians not suspected of crimes, collected by exploiting technology companies and telecommunications networks.

After traveling from the U.S. to Hong Hong, he fled with the help of whistleblowing site WikiLeaks and ended up in Russia, where he was granted asylum and has lived since. A warrant was issued for Snowden's arrest with charges under the Espionage Act.

Snowden addressed the Trump situation himself via Twitter today.

"The last time we heard a White House considering a pardon was 2016, when the very same Attorney General who once charged me conceded that, on balance, my work in exposing the NSA's unconstitutional system of mass surveillance had been "a public service," he wrote, referencing comments made by former-AG Eric Holder.

In 2016, Holder said he thought Swowden had "performed a public service by raising the debate we engaged in and by the changes that we made."

As reported by The Guardian at the time, Holder did add: "I would say that doing what he did—and the way he did it—was inappropriate and illegal."

Greenwald, who spearheaded much of the initial Snowden coverage, tweeted in support of Snowden being allowed home to the U.S., writing: "What Snowden showed the world was crucial for it to know. He's spent 7 years in exile. He should be pardoned."

The stance was supported by the ACLU, which tweeted Friday: "Democracy is better off because of [Snowden]. As we said four years ago, the president should pardon him."

Last year, Snowden expressed his desire to return to the U.S. but said he would only travel back if he was given assurances that he would face a fair trial.

Speaking in an interview on CBS This Morning, he said: "If I'm gonna spend the rest of my life in prison, the one bottom line demand that we have to agree to is that at least I get a fair trial. And that is the one thing the government has refused to guarantee because they won't provide access to what's called a public interest defense."

Carpe' Scrotum
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Why would Trump pardon a traitor who gave Russia vital info? Fugger should be bought back in shakles and shot!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Snowden exposed our intel services unconstitutional doings. Folks ahould have known that they were corrupt already, but it took snowden to slap it in their faces and wake some folks up.

Snowden and assange have done yeomans work exposing govt malfeasance.

Neither is all wise or pure as the driven snow. I would support a pardon on condition he testifies to everything he knows in a public forum. Its rat killing time and we need names.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
rte Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What vital info did Snowden give to Russia?

According to the article:
"Employees of the U.S. government violated the Constitution and lied to Congress and the American people about it. Snowden exposed them."

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jfruser
Snowden exposed our intel services unconstitutional doings. Folks ahould have known that they were corrupt already, but it took snowden to slap it in their faces and wake some folks up.

Neither is all wise or pure as the driven snow. I would support a pardon on condition he testifies to everything he knows in a public forum. Its rat killing time and we need names.

this is kind of where i am at. not a fan of what snowden did, but even less of a fan of what the military industrial complex and all its global tentacles are being used for against everyday US citizens. this schit needs exposed but it never will be because all the people who could help expose it are themselves compromised. media, govt, etc.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rem141r

this is kind of where i am at. not a fan of what snowden did, but even less of a fan of what the military industrial complex and all its global tentacles are being used for against everyday US citizens. this schit needs exposed but it never will be because all the people who could help expose it are themselves compromised. media, govt, etc.

This is about the way I see it too.
Snowden was a legitimate whistle blower informing the public with concrete evidence that we’re all being spied on. He should be pardoned.

Last edited by TheLastLemming76; 08/15/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sako76
Why would Trump pardon a traitor who gave Russia vital info? Fugger should be bought back in shakles and shot!

We Need a Like Button.

Slim
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

The man is closer to being a “true patriot” than most, that think they are patriots! Not all of America’s enemies live in a foreign country! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
That boy better stay where he's at. The deep state will kill him if he shows up anywhere outside of Russia.

I'm surprised that they haven't killed him anyway.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by william_iorg
Originally Posted by Sako76

We Need a Like Button.

No trial?

Might as well burn the U.S. Constitution while we're at it.

Snowden blew the whistle on Obama and Brennan. At the very least, give him his day in court.

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I tend to agree with you on this, which shocks me, but with some reservations. I know that Assange has stated that he has revealed nothing to give any party any advantage, but I'm not aware of any such statements from Snowden. In the end, though, you take your objective truth (as strictly defined) from wherever it comes.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does this sound like a new world order, type?

Edward Snowden says COVID-19 could give governments invasive new data-collection powers that could last long after the pandemic

https://www.businessinsider.com/edward-snowden-coronavirus-surveillance-new-powers-2020-3

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Maybe he could give some “valuable information on the swamp” in exchange for the pardon.

Need to be on the look out for Arkanside though.

Last edited by tpcollins; 08/15/20.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe
That boy better stay where he's at. The deep state will kill him if he shows up anywhere outside of Russia.

I'm surprised that they haven't killed him anyway.

This.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tpcollins
Maybe he could give some “valuable information on the swamp” in exchange for the pardon.

Need to be on the look out for Arkanside though.

I think that would be a win/win. He'd prove fidelity to liberty and help destroy the swamp. Not holding my breath, though.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Here we are tap dancing to this melody again , hiel there’s enough evidence to send the whole kitten kaboodle down the road several times . But not one single indictment of any major players . So more evidence is going to do what ?
When things have surfaced , they drug their feet so long that any evidence is either gone or enough arms twisted that nobody (sees enough evidence to proceed with indictments)
The justice department is a fugging joke , unless you work for a living , then they’ll jack the jail up and throw your azz under it ,
Kenneth

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From OP,

Speaking in an interview on CBS This Morning, he said: "If I'm gonna spend the rest of my life in prison, the one bottom line demand that we have to agree to is that at least I get a fair trial. And that is the one thing the government has refused to guarantee because they won't provide access to what's called a public interest defense.

Sounds reasonable.

@jameslavish

This is inflation
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Snowden?

Much better case for pardoning Flynn.

Why doesn't he pardon Flynn?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Steve Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Snowden?

Much better case for pardoning Flynn.

Why doesn't he pardon Flynn?

Because Flynn has had the charges dropped. He's just waiting for the court to catch up. Better to have the charges dropped than a pardon.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does Flynn really need a pardon? Honest question...I have not kept up on his situation. My impression, though, is that Flynn's ultimate exoneration would mean the downfall of many who need to be taken down, and they've got what it would take to get there. I'd rather see the fight, and see it concluded justly because I think that would be in the nation's best interest.

Snowden, on the other hand, is completely at the mercy of the system. Whatever he truly deserves he should get, but I'm not so sure that he deserves condemnation and incarceration.

Don't be the darkness.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

595 members (10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 63 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,656
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.