Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
California orders rolling blackouts for up to 250,000 homes and businesses as heat wave grips the state with temperatures hitting 112 degrees and crowds flocking to beaches
Rolling blackouts could affect up to 250,000 homes and businesses in the state
Such a power cut has not been implemented since 2001, when there was a massive electric crisis
San Joaquin Valley will see temperatures of 112 degrees and Los Angeles is expected to reach 96 degrees
While residents stay indoors because of the pandemic, Californians are using more AC in their homes

Hundreds of thousands of Californians were plunged into darkness on Friday evening as companies cut power to homes after the state's Independent System Operator declared a Stage 3 energy emergency.

With temperatures soaring above 100 degrees in many parts of the state, and millions of residents stuck at home amid the coronavirus pandemic, experts feared the high demand for power would overwhelm the grid.

'A Stage 3 Emergency is declared when demand outpaces available supply. Rotating power interruptions have been initiated to maintain stability of the electric grid,' the Independent System Operator announced shortly before 6pm.

After that announcement, Pacific Gas and Electric Co. confirmed it would be cutting power to as many as 250,000 customers, while Southern California Edison also said they would be conducting rolling blackouts.

Residents were unable to be notified due to the emergency announcement, leaving thousands of vulnerable people suddenly without air-conditioning in the midst of a severe heatwave.

Grid managers last implemented such a power cut in 2001, when the state was suffering from an electric crisis.

It comes amid a horror week for the state, which is still struggling to contain COVID-19 infections. On Friday, the state surpassed 600,000 confirmed cases of the contagious virus - more than New York state.

There are also currently 13 wildfires raging across the state, with the hot weather causing catastrophic conditions for firefighters.

California's nightmare looks likely to continue, and more enforced power shutoffs could be coming over the weekend as the state continues to sizzle.

The National Weather Service says that sweltering conditions are set to stay, with the heatwave set to rival the deadly seven-day heat event in 2006, during which L.A. saw its highest-ever temperature of 119 degrees.

Solar generators for the state will also be impacted as cloud cover from tropical storm Elida is expected to crimp output.

Hundreds of thousands of Californians were plunged into darkness during a heatwave on Friday evening as companies cut power to homes after the state's Independent System Operator declared a Stage 3 energy emergency. The sun is seen setting in Asuza +11
Hundreds of thousands of Californians were plunged into darkness during a heatwave on Friday evening as companies cut power to homes after the state's Independent System Operator declared a Stage 3 energy emergency. The sun is seen setting in Asuza

The blackout was underway Friday as most of the state was issued Stage 3 emergency

California's Independent System Operator worried that a high-demand for power would overwhelm the system. Their emergency announcement forced energy companies to shut off power to hundreds of thousands of homes +11

Cities and towns across the state were affected by the rolling shutoffs. Homes as far north as San Fransciso were plunged into darkness. Meanwhile, residents in San Diego - at the southernmost point of California - also had their power cut

After the Stage 3 Emergency was declared tens of thousands of homes and businesses in Northern California had their power supply shut off by PG&E.

Rolling blackouts occurred in Alameda, San Mateo, Marin and Sonoma counties.

The blackout was a blow for some restaurants already struggling financially amid the coronavirus crisis.

Restaurant owner Bill Higgins was affected, by the forced outages, telling KPIX: 'We just did the best we could.'

'We cooked whatever we could for as long as we could without the electricity. It started to get dark and we had to shut it down … Restaurants are already under the gun and this was hurtful, to say the least.'

The outages also crippled Southern California.

According to various reports, around 13,000 homes in Bakersfield, north of L.A., had their power cut off after 6pm.

Meanwhile, Southern California Edison also announced they had cut power to homes in Anaheim, close to Los Angeles, but promised the outages would be no longer than 15 minutes.

In the San Diego and southern Orange counties areas, Sempra Energy's San Diego Gas & Electric utility said one-hour rotating shutoffs will be 'widespread' across its territory.

There are also currently 13 wildfires raging across the state, with the hot weather causing catastrophic conditions for firefighters. Pictured: a brush fire in the Lake Hughes area of the Angeles National Forest +11
There are also currently 13 wildfires raging across the state, with the hot weather causing catastrophic conditions for firefighters. Pictured: a brush fire in the Lake Hughes area of the Angeles National Forest

Before the enforced power shutoffs, residents enjoyed the heatwave at Dog Beach in Ocean Beach on Friday +11

By 9pm, the Stage 3 emergency was lifted, and power began to be restored to most homes.

Cutting off power to vulnerable residents in the midst of sizzling temperatures can be incredibly dangerous.

On Friday, San Joaquin Valley was forecast to have blazing temperatures of 112 degrees Fahrenheit. Los Angeles was expected to reach 96 degrees.

California ISO spokesperson Anne Gonzales says 'extreme heat' was behind the operator's decision to declare a Stage 3 emergency. Temperatures were up to 20 degrees higher than average.

She would not rule out more enforced shutoffs in the coming week.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What a bunch of liberal tards

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Virus plus power. They will starve to death in the dark. What a wonderful place. I wonder if the governor's quarters ever go dark?

Last edited by 1minute; 08/15/20.

1Minute
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
When an entire populous lives with their ass cheeks spread they can expect to get fugked.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Welcome to a world without coal power, they deserve it.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
We offered to supply wind power.

We really did.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thought the gazillion solar panels and windmills they put in the desert over the past twenty years were supposed to fix that?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The New Green Deal - how cool is that?

Last edited by poboy; 08/15/20.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
We offered to supply wind power.

We really did.

Not free enough?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by poboy

The peasants can rest easy.

Nancy’s mansion will stay powered.

LOL

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Best build some Nuke plants. Glad I have a home generator. I’m OKAY unless they cut gas off too!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
those blackouts would encourage me to invest in solar power.

I want to anyway with my next home if I can ever find some land in the right place and right price.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by hitandmiss

A world without coal power? Where is that, exactly? I happen to live by a major east/west train route through Montana, and there are at least 2 trains a day loaded with coal heading west, every day. At certain times of year, it's at least double that, and those are just the trains I see, not the ones that go through in the middle of the night. You shouldn't believe lies told to you by the media.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The fires burn so california can declare a disaster and get more federal money.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder if power is being cut off in the nice little town of Barstow. Going to be 112 today.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by poboy

The peasants can rest easy.

Nancy’s mansion will stay powered.

LOL

wouldn't want her ice cream to melt. i grew up and married living in the SJV. 112 degrees? bfd.

Last edited by deerstalker; 08/15/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Our coal plant here in ND is scheduled for shutdown! We have the cleanest air in the nation. Go green power. Maybe we can be new wave and get our power shut off like California. One can only hope. Ed k

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

A world without coal power? Where is that, exactly? I happen to live by a major east/west train route through Montana, and there are at least 2 trains a day loaded with coal heading west, every day. At certain times of year, it's at least double that, and those are just the trains I see, not the ones that go through in the middle of the night. You shouldn't believe lies told to you by the media.

How much of that gets used in California?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by deflave

How much of that gets used in California?

No idea. We don't live in a "world without coal power", which was my point.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

You sir, should do a bit of research before telling me what is and what is not happening in the power producing industry. How do you know all the coal you see going down the line is headed to plants here in the US? China is buying all it can. NGS in Page was shut down, Craig, in Colorado is going away as well as Hayden. Cholla on I40 shut down one or two units. SGS outside Round Valley will have 2 units down in the next couple years. The plant i work at is scheduled to close early in the next decade.
These examples are just in my little world. Do a bit of looking around to see just how many coal plants are shut down or slated for shut down in the near future.
The glut of cheap (for now) natural gas from fracking was a hammer blow to coal power. Now fracking is taking a beating. Dont think for a minute that the gas plants wont be going away when the last coal plant is offline.
The wind does not always blow, nor the sun always shine.

Lies from the media, your an idiot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.