Print Thread
Hop To
R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Anybody had hands on experience with one of these? Yeah. I know it's Chinese manf. I have a Hawke Endurance 2.5-10x50. I like everything about it except, the weight. which is somewhere around 21 ounces and the "black donut" effect around the image. The 1-6x24 is supposed to weigh 17.7 ounces, which is a couple ounces heavier than I like, but I think I will try one if the tunnel vision is less than the Endurance 2.5-20x50 model. I would be using this scope for stalking in the mountains and driven game hunts. Any first hand experience with this Frontier 1-6x24 would really be appreciated. RJ

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
According to the catlog I have, the 18 201 weighs 19.7oz. 4 inches of ER, fixed focus at 100 yards. The reticle is the Tactical Dot 6x, a circle with a dot in the middle stuck on a Christmas tree with sidebars. Looks a bit fine in the illustration. 35 MILRAD on the turrets. 6-position illumination. "B" length on the tube is 6.7".

I would prefer the simpler, bolder LR Dot as in my 8x56 Endurance, also a 30mm tube, and as Jack O'Connor remarked about a German scope he owned (a Gerard, IIRC), heavy enough to beat out a grizzly's brains with.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Pappy, the scope I am interested in is the model 18400. It has an L4A illuminated dot reticle. and by their website, it weighs 17.5 ounces. I sure would like to know from someone who has one if that is the correct weight before I bought. Have you noticed the "Black donut" effect on any of your Hawke scopes? Thanks, RJ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have not. Mine are all older models, bought on clearance. The L4A is like the LR dot in my 8x56, minus the hash marks on the lower reticle. I like that one pretty well. Guess you're going to get the chance to be a pioneer!

My only gripe with my Hawkes is that the clicks are a bit mushy, but since I'm not ordinarily a twister, that's no biggie. Glass is decent, ER excellent, and no drama thus far with any of the four. I like the reticle (at least the illustration) of the Burris Four X 1.5-6 made for the Yurrupean market, and also CameraLand it seems, but not the ER, and the tube looks short, not a good thing for a guy who likes Mausers.

Haven't been keeping up with Leupolds lately, but one thing I have to say in their favor is that the illumination on the AR Mod1 I had worked very well, and was useable under all conditions, not always the case in my limited experience with that feature. Do they have one that is similar to what you need?

What fresh Hell is this?
R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I really liked my friends Leupold VX-HD 1-5x24 and had actually ordered one with FireDot 4 reticle from an Ebay Leupold dealer in Austria. His Ebay ad stated that he had 2 available. After paying for the scope, he informed me that "his supplier" was out of stock on this model and was not sure when they would be available, then offered instead to sell me a couple of different scopes that I was not interested in. To say the least, I was pissed. On top of that, for that dollar to Euro buying transaction with Paypal, I will lose $53 when the refund hits my bank. The Leupolds that I would be interested in are now discontinued and are scarce over here in Europe. Just about all U.S sellers will not ship scopes over here, Any that will, cannot get the scope that I want. I sure do miss the choice and availability in the U.S.A. (and prices). When I get my money back, I may buy the Hawk. Thanks for your input. RJ

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hope I made some sense. I'm dead tired from traveling and the heat and wrestling with estate stuff.

I'm avoiding stuff that's Fabrique en Chine (hope I spelled that right), except the women, right now over this virus business, but otherwise I'd give that Hawke a try unless you are willing to pay the tab for a similar Euro model. I'd be inclined to believe the weight spec and hope for the best on the tunneling. Even if present, cranking the power up just a smidgen might take care of it.

Good luck.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Yes Pappy, that makes sense. What keeps me from hitting the "Buy Button" on the Hawke is that I fondled a friends Leu HD-5 1-5x24 and to me the glass was absolutely outstanding. I can get a brand new one for just a couple hundred bucks more than the Hawk. RJ

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have an Endurance 2.5-10x50,an would exactly echo your assessment.I haven’t looked at a Frontier,but I’ve noticed Hawke has addressed the tunnel-effect on the new Endurance line.They’re now marked with a “WA” for wide-angle optical system.A great improvement.Can’t remark on the Frontier...

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
OK. I couldn't make up my mind between the Hawke Frontier 30 1-6x24 and the Leupold VX-HD5 1-5x24, so I got both. The Leupold has not arrived yet, but "check's in the mail". I really like the Hawke and it does not have the "tunnel vision that is present on the Endurance 30 3-10x50. The glass looks great, but I think the Leupold HD-5 will be even better. The adjustments clicks on this scope are outstanding. I mounted it on my Blaser K95. Will probably have to wait until May to try this combo on game, as I have taken 3 Roe deer bucks, this and last months with my 6.5 Swede and 243. I'll let you know how I like the Leupold HD-5 when it gets here. RJ
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]anonymous image sharing
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I just got a Hawke crossbow scope the other day and sent it back. The optics were OK but the fast focus eye piece was shyt. It was only tight if it was screwed all the way in or out. Unfortunately that's not where it needed to be in order to be in focus for my eyes. Any other position it was too easy to turn and wiggled around like a drunk having an epileptic seizure. Putting it on bags and wiggling it back and forth you could see the crosshairs move 2-3" across the target at 30 yards. Hopefully some of their scopes are held to tighter tolerances than that POS. I will be buying another brand henceforth.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 16 invisible), 1,615 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.