Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My 47# recurve is still being repaired, so I'm shooting my 57# recurve a lot. I getting stronger after shooting it daily for a few weeks, but admittedly it's still a bit heavy for me. 20 shots and I'm starting to get fatiqued mostly my fingers.

I made up new 400 spine arrows based on the 3Rivers dynamic spine calcuator, paper tuned with a bare shaft, and flight looks great with 4" helicals. But 90% of the shots are left of the bull using the same barebow aiming I used on the 47#. I've read that an over spined arrow will hit left, but I don't think they are over spined. If anything a tad weak.

I'm sure there are several things that could cause it. Mostly poor form. Any suggestions on what to look for would be appreciated.

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 08/16/20.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, found a video that demonstrates some potential causes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDrAS9tKjqw

1. Concentration: Focus on the bull till the arrow hits it.
2. Stance too open.
3. Torquing the string. If bow is canted, spine must canted the same angle.
4. Grip of the bow: Depending on angle of the grip, if you "palm" the bow it can twist quickly upon release, and to the left.
5. Arrow: If changed arrows the new arrow may strike left of where you are trained to aim it.
6. Fatigue. When you tired your form falls apart. Plucking, etc. takes over. Esepecially short drawing can cause arrow to strike left.

I think I'm suffering from No. 2, 4, and 6.

Self diagnosed, kind of. Ya'll let me know if you know of other potential causes.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Try shooting some bare shafts at 20 yards or more to see how they fly. Bareshafts will tell you more than paper.

Sometimes overspine will bounce off a riser and show weak. Test by Adding even more weight. If they truly are weak then they will show weaker. If you are too stiff already and you reduce weight you are left chasing your tail with false readings.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 08/16/20.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Someone, perhaps you, mentioned that before. Good technique.

I shot bare shaft at about 15-yards. It does strike much lower than fletched, but I'm not able to see much indication of weakness in flight. Need to get my wife to film it in slo-mo. Hoping later today.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You may be short drawing the bow and your arrow is overspined. I hurt my shoulder during the season last year and had the same issue.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by MagMarc
You may be short drawing the bow and your arrow is overspined. I hurt my shoulder during the season last year and had the same issue.

Yes, either short drawing or collapsing at the release. When you bareshaft stretch out the distance as much as you can and shoot several times only paying attention to the average. With a bareshaft any form inconsistencies will show greatly so it's better to take a reading from 2 dozen shots than 3 or 4. When I am shooting perfectly,I have grouped bareshafts perfectly in with my 45 yard feathered arrow group. Pluck one though and you will completely miss the backstop.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 08/17/20.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The first 10 or so I'm not short drawing or collapsing. At least I think not. I'll have my wife observe. Likely to do both if I shoot to long and get fatiqued.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
The first 10 or so I'm not short drawing or collapsing. At least I think not. I'll have my wife observe. Likely to do both if I shoot to long and get fatiqued.

Best idea, someone else can pick up on it easier than you can yourself.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If bare shaft was good and fletched isn't.........your rest/set up needs fixed.

Weak is nock left for a righty.

Overspined can crash riser and kick for nock left too.
This is what is known as a "false reading".

Paper tune works, but only if done correctly. It should show you the same stuff bare shaft does.

Bow quivers can change tune and really screw things up if too far fwd. A bit rearward is better.

Standard stuff. Not rocket science.
But if you get flustered and start second guessing this and that, peek in shooting.............youre just gonna make a mess of it.

Relax and start from scratch.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
IMHO at 15 yards your bare shaft and fletched should hit the same.
If not you have rest/tune issues.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I was a springboard diver in high school, we videoed ourselves doing dives to tweek our form. I've done the same with archery, seeing yourself doing something is a great learning experience.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Make sure your shoulder blades are squeezed together at release. And you might drop down to 10 arrows per session so fatigue isn't factoring into the equation. Also, consider that 2 different bows are going to shoot differently due to differences in design and setup.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm convinced I'm short drawing after just a few shots and inconsistently drawing this heavier bow all the time. I'll keep shooting it to build up strength, but give up on arrow perfection and developement for short time.

I have a Click-it Clicker on the way that'll help make my draw consistent. No point in working on the arrows till I can have a consistent draw.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
An inch of draw length means a lot for arrow tune.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm convinced I'm short drawing after just a few shots and inconsistently drawing this heavier bow all the time. I'll keep shooting it to build up strength, but give up on arrow perfection and developement for short time.

I have a Click-it Clicker on the way that'll help make my draw consistent. No point in working on the arrows till I can have a consistent draw.

You might make do with that bow but if you want to get really good with a bow it needs to be light weight enough that you could shoot 100 arrows and not be worn out.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Roger that. This 57# was a gift years ago when I could draw more weight easily. Just playing with it, might hunt with it eventually if Im able to build up to it.

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 08/19/20.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Roger that. This 57# was a gift years ago when I could draw lots more easily. Just playing with it, might hunt with it eventually if Im able to build up to it.

You probably can.I'm about the same way. Most of the bows I shot 10 years ago are a bit heavier now than I would like.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I shoot a '56 Bear, Cub.. #47 @62"..... shot left with 50 - 70 spined carbon. Found it shoots Easton aluminum hunters 2117 perfect.... When any bow shoots left, I look spine first, then grip!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I closed my stance some, which forced my bow arm to be more in-line. That help considerably.

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 08/20/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am right handed and my master eye is my right eye but if I shoot with both eyes open I will hit to the left . Years ago it did not do that so my left eye it taking over or my right eye is not as dominant as it once was.

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.