Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rovert Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
My Remington knowledge is limited. Did they ever offer a 700 ADL with a checkered fiberglass stock? I saw one on a used rack today. I should have looked more closely. It was an older blued 30-06 which had had the iron sights removed.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
When you say fiberglass are you using the term to refer to synthetic stocks in general?

The reason for asking is that prior to the SPS tupperware stock they offered a synthetic stock with checkering on it. I had a couple of 700's in that style of stock, a nice looking stock but they were flimsy - not as rigid as the SPS that replaced them. Possibly you may have seen one of those.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've got a 700ADL short action stock put away. Found a wood stock to replace it with. But before I got the wood stock, that 700 stock was the absolutely worst stock I ever saw.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
They never made a fiberglass stock for the Remington 700 ADL mass production guns. They have had a Rynite stock that you see once in a while but nothing made of fiberglass layup or pultruded.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ve got an old Remington BDL type gray composite stock that is stiff as a tire tool. It’s a medium gray with a Remington recoil pad on it and sort of heavy. The problem with it is the grip/wrist is too thin for my big hands. Does anyone know the vintage of this style stock?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B2

R
rovert Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Definitely not Tupperware. It's a lay-up composite stock. I stopped back to look at it. I'm pretty sure it is an aftermarket B&C. It's a seven digit, no prefix rifle, so early 1970's? 64116xx. The barrel looked like it was stamped "UF" bit that doesn't match date codes. The lighting is not good in the shop.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Of course it could be anything, factory or otherwise. But hand laid fiberglass with checkering? We need pictures.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Of course it could be anything, factory or otherwise. But hand laid fiberglass with checkering? We need pictures.

Boomer knows his chit.

I’ve never heard of a Fiberglass stock like described from the factory.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
BTW, the ADL Tupperware stocks with checkering can be found stiff to floppy and everywhere in between with stiffest being the oldest, and noticeably the heaviest, tire iron mentioned above. .

.. Remington started producing synthetic stocks in 1986 with the 700 RS, FS, and KS.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 08/16/20.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Boomer knows his chit.

I’ve never heard of a Fiberglass stock like described from the factory.

Bullchit. I am just guessing randomly! It's how the "Fire rolls these days. But, the need for pictures on "id this 700" threads remains strong as ever!

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

R
rovert Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Sorry, didn't take any photos. I'm pretty confident it's a Bell and Carlson someone put on an older rifle. Checkering molded into the finish of a fiberglass stock isn't that uncommon, is it? I'm sure I've seen it from at least McMillan and B&C.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Only you have seen it. It could be a one-off custom for all we know. Who knows. But, yes, it would not likely be a factory stock if fiberglass, ADL and checkered. Maybe.

--- Kid Rock 2022

R
rovert Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Found a couple low quality images from the shop:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Nice work. Looks Bell and Carlsony only maybe better? LOL

Did H&S stocks have checkering?

I think the backof the grip is wrong for B&C. Not a painted poly adl. Comb nose too sloed for McMillan.

. FIIK, the points on the grip checkering should give a clue.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Bell and Carlson Carbelite

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 338rcm

Ok.
Middle stock is a B&C with same shape and checkering, albeit a mod 7.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

--- Kid Rock 2022

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
They never made a fiberglass stock for the Remington 700 ADL mass production guns. They have had a Rynite stock that you see once in a while but nothing made of fiberglass layup or pultruded.

Actually ... the FS wasn’t considered custom shop (as the KS was) and could be had in ADL.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 338rcm

Yep.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, the Rem 700 FS featured a stock made by Brown Precision.
They were offered either in a solid grey color or a camo painted pattern.
They were made 1987 to 1989

Here's some info from an earlier thread
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...s/5756025/Re_Remington_700_FS_fiberglass

The FS stock was made by Brown Precision and is a proprietary design especially for Remington. The pistol grip is the same long open style of their standard model but the forend is much more slender. I've had two, a 7mm Rem. Mag and my current one, a .30-06, both left hand. Some were made with a nice ghost leaf pattern and some were plain grey. FWIW Brown will still make this stock pattern as they still have the mold, or had when I called about 4-5 years ago.

These things were always real sleeper deals. You got an excellent aftermarket stock and barreled action for just a tad more than the going price of a standard Model 700. The recoil lug on the .30-06 is very neatly glass bedded into the stock. All metal is matte finished, including the bolt and the stock is the blind magazine ADL style. The .30-06 with Talley lightweight mounts and a Leupold 4X scope weighs 6 lbs 15 oz. unloaded. Subtract the scope and mounts and the rifle alone will run right about 6 lbs 4 oz. Not bad for a full contour barrel in a long action. A short action .243 will run a couple-three ounces less than that.

[Linked Image from images.gunsinternational.com]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A slightly modified RS for chits and giggles. Forgot earlier, it was FS, RS and the AS in '86 with KS the next year as above. The AS material did not hold up over time iirc.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (1minute, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 3,113 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.