Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
https://deadline.com/2020/08/califo...ges-in-its-history-this-week-1203015664/

As California struggles to rebound from the coronavirus pandemic, wilting heat and wildfires, it’s facing another dangerous crisis: blackouts.

As temperatures broke records across the state, California energy officials announced the first rolling blackouts in the state since 2001 and warned that the state was bracing for what could be the largest power outage it has ever seen, likely on Monday.

When asked about the number of Californians who will be impacted and how it ranks historically, the President/CEO of the Independent Service Operator — the non-profit that operates the state’s power grid — said he wasn’t entirely sure.

“I can’t speak to historical comparisons,” said Steve Berberich. “I wasn’t here during the energy crisis.”

When pressed by a reporter who had run the numbers and estimated that 3.3 million Californians will be impacted, Berberich assented that his calculations were “Probably fairly accurate.”

In 2001, the San Jose Murcury News estimates power outages impacted 1.5 million people. Given that number, 3.3 million people without power would be at least twice as large.

ISO officials said they were shutting down power to residents to prevent events of an even greater magnitude.

“We avoid demand exceeding supply to ensure there’s not a widespread system collapse,” said ISO Market Policy and Performance VP Mark Rothleder.

On Monday, officials said they expect blackouts to begin about 4 p.m. and extend through at least 10 p.m. in 2 hour blocks for each affected area.

A big problem is a shortage of power that could be imported from utilities in neighboring states. California has been able to bridge the gaps in previous heat waves because it could bring in power. This time, though, “we are facing diminished imports because the West is heating up,” said Berberich.

Governor Gavin Newsom said the state was using “all the tools in the tool kit” to meet demand. “We are likely to fall short,” he said, as oppressive temperatures stress the state’s energy system that serves five million households and businesses.

The National Weather Service warned of potentially record-breaking heat in the L.A. area on Monday and Tuesday.

Newsom noted that temperatures in Death Valley reached 130 degrees Sunday, a peak not hit since at least 1931, according to the National Weather Service. As a point of reference, the hottest temperature ever officially recorded on earth was 134 degrees, also in Death Valley, in 1913.

Newsom added that “rather extraordinary weather conditions” also have put firefighters under enormous pressure as they battle wildfires across the state.

Newsom pointed to the state’s shift to renewable resources as part of the reason for the supply shortage. Shutting down polluting gas power plants has created gaps in the state’s energy supply, he said.

While the state remains committed to a greener future, Newsom said, “We cannot sacrifice reliability” and promised that officials would be “much more aggressive … in making sure that is the case.”

Big power users are being allowed to shift to backup sources and stored energy that is typically restricted as state officials work to urgently deploy more resources systemwide, according to the governor.

A statewide Flex Alert calling for residents to voluntarily conserve electricity remains in effect through Wednesday. Officials are also urging businesses statewide to restrict their usage. In some cases, the state is asking business owners to support outreach to their customers about conserving energy. Newsom named Telsa, a major manufacturer of electric vehicles, as one of the businesses working closely with the state.

The California ISO issued the Flex Alert on Sunday, saying there is insufficient energy to meet high consumer demand during the record-breaking heat wave. To minimize the need for controlled outages, residents were asked to use air conditioning early in the day and set
thermostats at 78 in the afternoon and evening hours, while avoiding the use of major appliances between the hours of 3 p.m. and 10 p.m.

The alert followed blackouts Friday and Saturday that Newsom said came without warning.

The Governor yesterday convened an all-hands meeting with California Independent System Operator (CAISO), the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), the California Energy Commission (CEC), the California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) and senior administration officials and called the weekend service disruptions “unacceptable.”

Newsom announced Monday that he had signed an emergency proclamation to free up energy capacity.

The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power said Friday’s rolling blackouts did not affect residents of the city. “We own our own power plants and transmission lines and had enough supply to meet demand + req’d reserve,” the department tweeted. “We encourage our customers to conserve to help state grid and reduce strain on system.”

On Saturday, high temperatures increased electricity demand while one power plant was down and wind power fell short, prompting a Stage 3 Electrical Emergency that lasted 20 minutes. It was called at 6:28 p.m., making rolling outages imminent or in progress, according to the California ISO.

No major outages were reported Monday by Southern California Edison, but peak power demand would likely trigger outages later in the day.

In a letter, the governor said the blackouts were called Friday and Saturday without notice and demanded an investigation.

“Residents, communities and other governmental organizations did not receive sufficient warning that these de-energizations could occur.
Collectively, energy regulators failed to anticipate this event and to take necessary actions to ensure reliable power to Californians,” Newsom wrote.

“This cannot stand,” said Newsom at his midday press conference. “California residents and businesses deserve better from their government.”

Berberich said the ISO did a poor job of warning residents, utilities “and particularly the governor’s office” last weekend that blackouts were imminent.

“We own that and we’re sorry,” he said.

Power providers say a lack of supply from sources outside the state contributed to the shortage, as other Western states struggled to meet their own demand during the heat wave.

During his midday Monday news conference, the governor promised the investigation would be swift and comprehensive.

The stakes are high for Newsom, who two weeks ago faced a failure of the state’s coronavirus data system; the 2001 blackouts were widely seen to have contributed to then-governor Grey Davis’s political demise. He was recalled by voters in 2003.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What a place to live.

.gov wants everyone to be dependent on them yet they can't provide.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Almost like a third world country.

Yup.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Happens every year.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Makes you wanna ask, Just how “Green “ is dark ?

Wonder how this will affect the the so called exodus from California.

Also wonder what hoops a L.A. homeowner has to jump through to own or have a standby generator installed at their home or business.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
They actually realize they're in this spot because they've abandoned reliable generation for not reliable generation Their solution is to build more not reliable generation. Sheer religious fanaticism.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
2 things 1. Not one fugging word about eliminating conspicuous consumption (think electronic billboards excessive after dark lighting) 2. When you have a gay governor who calls for an "all hands" meeting is this a deluxe circle jerk and he's the pivot man? Jfc I don't feel the least bit sorry for those fugs.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So the Fruits, Flakes and Nuts will be in the dark. No skin off my butt.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Didn’t they fuss over ENRON doing that

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
People are just ignorant living under those conditions.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I suspect there also is some other things going on here too. Warren Buffet is a major owner of Pacificorp Power,most of western Oregon and mountain northern Calif. which has a lot of excess generating capacity through hydropower. In Calif power is controlled by Independent Systems Operator, an organization who controls the inter-ties from the various companies and they said they are coming up 4,400 megawatts short. So, they have to buy it at premium prices from somewhere. Enter Pacificorp who supplies my rural area, we were shut off in the heat of the afternoon the last 3 days. I suspect they are selling power to go south to the cities to ISO at the inconvenience of their own customers. I'm just speculating, but it is a hell of a coincidence.
And as a backstory, Pacificorp owns 4 old dams on the Klamath River, that have been generating clean power for over a hundred years, now the Enviro nuts and the Indians want them out as harmful to salmon. But, nobody wants to foot the bill for dam removal, so the Enviros and the Indians asked Warren Buffet for a loan to remove his own dams. The salmon runs have survived the dams for over a hundred years, so it's not really about the fish...it's about the money, 446 million last estimate, that would be a nice little contract for a minority owned construction company.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
[bleep]' paradise!! Those people are so lucky! I hope SoCal is right in the middle of the Power Outage Action!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
You anti californians are always so blatantly ignorant of the facts.

2016 presidential election results were 62% for Hitlery, 38% for Trump. If those numbers tell you MOST of California residents are democrat, pinko, gay, etc, y'all need to go back to school. 40% of us HATE democrat rule, and we sure wished it was more on our side, but it isn't like it was when Reagan was elected. It's like what's happening to Colorado and other states, the ones you will be trashing in several years and suggesting they all move to a more republican state!

The dimwits repeat statements like " you all voted in your officials", now live with the results. Funny, it takes 1 % for either party to win, or loose, albeit many times it is more like 5-10% for the winning side ( hillary was an odd duck for females to vote overwhelmingly for), but it sure the [bleep] isn't "all you who lost suck eggs..... you deserve what you got.

Just waiting for my 1-2 hour outage, which I have not seen yet, but the week is young, lol.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
somebody needs to insert that kid from the simpsons doing the haha. i'm too lazy

My diploma is a DD214
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by hemiallen
You anti californians are always so blatantly ignorant of the facts.

2016 presidential election results were 62% for Hitlery, 38% for Trump. If those numbers tell you MOST of California residents are democrat, pinko, gay, etc, y'all need to go back to school. 40% of us HATE democrat rule, and we sure wished it was more on our side, but it isn't like it was when Reagan was elected. It's like what's happening to Colorado and other states, the ones you will be trashing in several years and suggesting they all move to a more republican state!

The dimwits repeat statements like " you all voted in your officials", now live with the results. Funny, it takes 1 % for either party to win, or loose, albeit many times it is more like 5-10% for the winning side ( hillary was an odd duck for females to vote overwhelmingly for), but it sure the [bleep] isn't "all you who lost suck eggs..... you deserve what you got.

Just waiting for my 1-2 hour outage, which I have not seen yet, but the week is young, lol.

Are your taxes paying for about the most anti-American state government in history?

You do sound like a true patriot though. Just like Sal that can't leave because he has nothing.

Newsom thanks you for his salary. Paying his salary is akin to me writing a monthly check to Antifa/BLM/Moveon.org etc. Congrats?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Michigan's up next. Halve of the states power is from Chitcago. I would bet that Kali's problems are contrived political issues.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I hope they all stay there.......

the rest of the real west is full up

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MM879
Michigan's up next. Halve of the states power is from Chitcago. I would bet that Kali's problems are contrived political issues.

If they are contrived how does that help the ruling party?

Hope you folks in Michigan don’t get hit with blackouts.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Besides the old standard default excuse of blaming Pres. Trump they now have a new excuse: COVID..... Because when anything bad happens in these lib run states it's NEVER their fault and ALWAYS someone or something else's fault. I should know. I live in NY state.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,339
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.