Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
John,

I just received my copy of Sports Afield. I really enjoyed your article. I am leaning more and more toward Practicality.

Keep up the good work

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Glad you liked it!

One of the nice things about working for SA is their high-quality paper, which allows photos of firearms with plenty of detail.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Did someone demand a royalty for using the word "Panache" in the title?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
No--but if he had there would have been no panache.

The title was not actually mine--which happens frequently with some magazines far more often than others. Consequently I don't try to anticipate editors, instead titling articles very basically, letting the editors do that they want. In this instance my title was, as I recall, "Tradition and Practicality." But Diana Rupp distilled the essence very well--as a good editor does.

Part of the deal, of course, is that editors may end up with too many articles in the same issue with similar, simple titles--which writers can't anticipate. I know this from having been the head editor of three magazines.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
"Panache?!" I thought it was pancake! I guess I'll have to pass on the article as I thought Eileen had some recipes in it. I could go for some killer pancakes...

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I also enjoyed the article very much. Also noted that, as usual, you practice what you preach, ie. the 2 Burris FF2 3-9 scopes mounted on your favorite traveling rifles!
Another example of Practicality before Panache, perhaps ??? smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wish the bastards would hurry up with my subscription. Paid two months ago. Better than Wolfe, I suppose. Paid last month, my first copy of RIFLE will be November.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mule deer another good read ! have you heard any bullet company making better and heavier grained 25 caliber target bullets yet ? i heard kinda Berger might be ? would you happen to have Berger`s phone number i can not find it ? P.M. me thank you,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 08/19/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Not Mule Deer, but the Berger bullets website lists 660-440-2802 as the phone number for tech support questions.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
thank you much for the phone number ,Pete53 but now this is the # 660 460 2802 ,also i just got off the phone with Berger they are still thinking about making a heavier grained 25 caliber bullet .

Last edited by pete53; 08/19/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I always seem to head to John's articles before the others, regardless of which magazine they're in. Common sense in them, with just enough of the looney to spice them up.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Funny, the older I get the more practical I find the cartridges and rifles that also have a certain panache!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
No--but if he had there would have been no panache.

The title was not actually mine--which happens frequently with some magazines far more often than others. Consequently I don't try to anticipate editors, instead titling articles very basically, letting the editors do that they want. In this instance my title was, as I recall, "Tradition and Practicality." But Diana Rupp distilled the essence very well--as a good editor does.

Part of the deal, of course, is that editors may end up with too many articles in the same issue with similar, simple titles--which writers can't anticipate. I know this from having been the head editor of three magazines.

John, I really enjoy the inside glimpses you give us into your profession. Thank you.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Paul,

Thanks. I sometimes wonder how much "insight" readers are interested in.

Professional writing, like most professions, is always a learning curve. Have learned a lot over the decades from my experience with a lot of magazine (and book) editors, and also from my own experience as a magazine editor.

One of the best parts of being and editor was seeing what showed up, whether in the mailbox or e-mail box, from a bunch of different writers. It was kind of like unwrapping Christmas presents! Some were the equivalent of a pair of socks, but others were astonishing pleasures to read.

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I like to blend a little panache with practicality. I like the the panache of a custom rifle and the practicality of the the older cartridges. I once drank the Creedmore Kool Aid and sold the rifle to fund a 6.5X55 build. My smith is currently tricking out a Ruger #1 action for a build in 300 H&H. I'll admit to being a big fan of the 7X57 with three rifles so chambered. My version of an English stalking rifle is marked 275 Rigby just for the panache of it. LOL

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Really enjoyed the article.

I have a mix of both. 222 vs 22-250
6.5 creed vs 6.5x55
30-06 vs 300 H&H
Mix of wood blue, synthetic cerakote and combinations of both.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't read the article but gather it was about practical over panache. Funny. I'm revamping my 30-06 for duty this fall <G>

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There’s no reason a fella can’t be practical with panache. Newest cartridge in my inventory other than the .30 Sneezer is over 60 years of age. Almost broke in.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by bwinters
I didn't read the article but gather it was about practical over panache. Funny. I'm revamping my 30-06 for duty this fall <G>

Nope, it WASN'T about practical "over" panache--or panache "over" practical. It was about both kinds of big game rifles--and I happen to own and hunt with a bunch of both, as do many of my friends.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
There’s no reason a fella can’t be practical with panache. Newest cartridge in my inventory other than the .30 Sneezer is over 60 years of age. Almost broke in.

Exactamundo!

My choice for big game is a .275 Rigby...it has both panache and practicality!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.