Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by jaguartx
PTL. Thank you FATHER and Glory to you for your wing of protection extended for our Happy Camper and Renegade. PTL. Amen.

Yes Jaguartx. Thanks for the kind prayer.

PTL and I thank Him for you and the others too.
Reading this thread reminds how special and fragile life is. I think that we all could write a book on our adventures in life. I just started journalling because I forgot most of those close calls. Then for anyone that might be encouraged and blessed, I decided to turn them into chapters and thank You letters to the Lord.

After all that we've seen and been through, it shows me that there's a reason why we're still around.

Well said. Amen. We owe HIM more than we can ever even imagine or repay, and not just for the sacrifice of HIS son JESUS CHRIST and HIS sacrifice for us to have everlasting life, but also for a full and blessed life on this earth in the blessed US of A.

A few times i made a bad auto move after i missed seeing an oncoming auto, or by providence seeing a drunk move head on into my lane and dodging the head on late at night.

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/18/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was 19 I rolled my truck and was thrown through the windshield. Truck ended up on it's side 6-8' from me. A rodeo in Woodbine, IA I came off a bareback horse straight off the back. The horse kicked me and when I hit the ground I landed perfectly vertical head first. I used to watch and joke about the video. Now I can't even watch it thinking about what the out come could have been.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some things I don't like to talk about.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
When I was 19 I rolled my truck and was thrown through the windshield. Truck ended up on it's side 6-8' from me. A rodeo in Woodbine, IA I came off a bareback horse straight off the back. The horse kicked me and when I hit the ground I landed perfectly vertical head first. I used to watch and joke about the video. Now I can't even watch it thinking about what the out come could have been.

PTL for you bro, and for saving Paul a 3 inch dick and giving me the extra 3 inches to my original 6.

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/18/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
In rollover accident on I5 near Coalinga. I was asleep in the bed of a Chevy luv pickup. My buddy fell asleep at the wheel. I woke up in the detached canopy about 100 feet from the upside down pickup. All the walls were gone except the front one. Only thing else in the canopy was a pachinko machine my buddy bought at a swap meet. Cab was crushed to the steering wheel. Hundreds of pachinko ball bearings all over the freeway along with a bunch more crap. Tow truck driver asked me how many people were killed. We both walked away with just scratches.

Other than that just the normal almost drowning or setting myself on fire.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Had a few in my career as a firefighter. Early in my career I was blown across a room and 15' out of a building by a natural gas explosion. The outside meter had been shut off but this was a house converted into commercial property and a second service had been installed. That made the news as a crew was broadcasting as the house lit up.

Had a 1500 gallon propane tank catch fire and rupture and zip up the driveway as we slowed down to turn in. Didn't know what it was at first but it was impressive.

Was on the third floor of an apartment building doing a final check for residents and looking for extension on an assist to a neighboring city. Fire was on second floor but Command did not seem concerned. Just as I began to push the fire door open, the other side collapsed to the ground. 5 seconds later and my crew and I would have either been caught in the collapse or burned by the heat being pushed by the collapse. Nearly a year later I watched a larger version of this happen in New York. This one still gets my blood boiling. It cemented my belief that if I die during a fire, it would probably be on a mutual aid to that city.

Two different times I was shot at while at work- once in the truck and a second walking down an apartment hallway. another time I had the suspect in a knifing return and try to finish off my patient and me. Another patient tried to knife me after his high was ruined by Narcan. I checked all unconscious patients for weapons after that.

Have had numerous run ins with cattle and pigs, twice I shot an animal to save my own skin. Rolled a Roadrunner doing over 80 mph when I lost a tire while drag racing on the highway. Stayed in the hospital for 7 hours for observation. They wanted to keep me longer but I had to get to work or get fired. One recovers quickly at 19 years old when beer money is threatened. I was sober at the time of accident which is why the cops took pity on me and did not charge me with something.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Jesus has had his hand on my shoulder since before I could walk.....I can do a great top ten for you.
1) Ran a chevy Cavalier into a Fuel Tanker truck at 35 miles per hour in a white out and got 1000 stitches out of it. Popped my eyeball out of its socket and went through 10 units of blood and 2 of plasma. I was blind for a month yet I healed and now I see.
2) Fell into the main branch of the Copper River without a life jacket and ended going about 1/2 mile down in the main channel.
3) Stuck in a winter storm for 10 days in the Talkeetna Mts without a tent and with cotton clothes( i was 18).
4) Got into a gunfight with a mentally ill neighbor and buffaloed him but good.
5) Survived 4 years at Harvard probably being the only student since the 1600s who hunted Pigeons and squirrels for food and meat.
6) Made it across Kobuk Lake with my Bear Cat on April 16th. Several parts were over open water - water mobbing in a place that is not good to water mob.
7) Was stabbed 5 times by a 4 grader with an 8 inch shiv in the back in my lung area.
8) Stayed over night in the Chicago greyhound bus station during a gang fight while I was traveling from Grand parents in SD to MA.
9) Fell into a beaver dam with a hind quarter of a moose on my back in the dark in about 8 ft of water.
10) Took a header and fell about 70ft down an avalanche slide and hit a tree face first. I woke up about 2 AM with blood all over my face and wound up 1 inch shorter from the process.

I was way worse when I was younger.

All some great stories but you do AK proud Thomas 💪🏼

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Puttin’ along in a Piper Arrow on the way to Ft Liquordale and was abeam Boca Raton just west of I-95. Engine conked out. Damn it was kinda quiet. Declared an emergency with approach and flipped to the Boca advisory frequency. Declared again and by that time was on a good glide path to the runway. Called position crossing 95 and about 100 yds shy of touchdown a silly wench in another plane taxied for takeoff in front of me. Slid left a bit and touched down beside her and turned off the runway with just enough momentum to make it to the parking ramp. Same ramp she had just vacated. Owner of the FBO came running out all shook up. The girl was one of his instructors and was driving one of his planes.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Thank you for your service and as a witness.

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Her name was Alisha, and I am a survivor.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
We probably all have close calls, and perhaps a lot more frequently than we even realize.

I can think of a few really astonishing ones, but consider that they would seem like bragging, and I think its probably better to just say that some of them involved both green and black mambas, bullets, tropical diseases, and leave it at that. And that's just Africa and Asia.

What I am thankful and blessed for is God (or his angels) who seems so far intent that I somehow muddle through, more or less unscathed. Not sure why, for sure, but that's the way I read it.

Now, push feed or CRF........? We are all blessed to be able to ponder this first world mystery.

Thanks and PTL for bringing you through, but we would certainly like a few stories of your close encounters to realize just what HE has brung you through. I think some of us would find it very interesting if you wouldnt mind and had the time.

Regardless, take care and may HE continue to bless.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Speaking of AK I know of a guy that stopped a po’ed coastal brown bear with a 9mm

That’d muddy the undergarment of many a man

Me meh I’ve had some close calls, car accidents, gunplay w adversaries, what I thought was an invitation to a good old fashioned fist fight that turned out to be a knife fight, pissed off some mob guys in Chicago. Run of the mill stuff

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I was rear ended by a peterbilt making a left turn off the highway into my driveway. I was dead stopped, I had two semi trucks pass me at the same time , one on the left, and the other on the right on the shoulder which whited me out. A third one come up behind me and slammed into me at about 60 MPH. My head went through the back window of my 1978 explodable chevy pickup. The truck was knocked about 60 feet into the narrow pit on the left side of the highway, and looked like a wrecked vehicle in a huckleberry hound cartoon. Later I found my glasses on what was left of the rear bumper. Earlier I had 2 dogs in the back, but it was cold and snowy so I let them in the front. Luckily there was no on coming traffic in the left lane. Well me and the two dogs walked away from it unharmed except for me with a little whiplash. I was getting a lot of phone calls for about a week from neighbors wondering if I was dead

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
PTL. Thank you Father for bringing MB through.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Speaking of AK I know of a guy that stopped a po’ed coastal brown bear with a 9mm

That’d muddy the undergarment of many a man

Me meh I’ve had some close calls, car accidents, gunplay w adversaries, what I thought was an invitation to a good old fashioned fist fight that turned out to be a knife fight, pissed off some mob guys in Chicago. Run of the mill stuff

Yes, PTL for the shot which saved the lot. Thank you FATHER. AMEN.

I Dindo Nuffin
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I was ice fishing when I was 14 and fell thru, I was unable to get out of the water I was close to the shoreline and had no choice but to swim under the ice to the shore and force my head up between the
bank and the ice.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Doing OT wheelbarrowing a chip spill from the upper mezzanine at a paper mill, after opening the door stepped backwards into an elevator .....that wasn’t there! Seems the door safety lock wasn’t functioning. When I stepped back and my foot touched “nothing” .....I rather quickly released the wheelbarrow handles, and grabbed the elevator door frame. Once safe I looked down, about 40 or 50 feet below was the top of the elevator!

Then there was the Dodge truck I T-boned at about 50 mph on a 1973 Honda XL 250.....mostly walked away from that one!

There’s a few more....those are probably the “closest” close calls! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had to think about which times to tell.
I was driving into the local City one evening, it was dark and driving a small car at a speed of 60 mph and suddenly, there was a datsun 510 coming at me... in my lane...with his lights off, I swerved to the right and was going for the bank with rocks and trees, managed to get control of the car...I knew it was a 510 because my buddy had one and I knew the car well.

Then as a faller... I had some really close calls as anyone who has been a faller for any length of time has had. I had a tree once start sliding down on top of all the fallen timber, in extremely steep terrain, all I could do was duck into the fallen timber and hug the ground and it went right over me, lol.

Then there was the time a tree landed about 6ft from me while I was falling another tree, this tree was over 100ft tall and was about 16" in diameter when it was beside me, really scary stuff.
I notice pretty much all fallers have a relationship with God..
There were other times too LOL

Last edited by 673; 08/18/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Some things I don't like to talk about.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

I heard pink is a tough color to master, for a dude.

😬😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I had a Honda 420 Rancher 4 wheeler try to murder me right before deer gun season in 2014.It flipped backwards going up a hill, tumbled over me and the handlebars smacked me in the side of the head like a baseball bat. I had my nose almost cut in half, a cut artery squirting on my temple and a broken left eye socket. After a couple of surgeries and a few months, I could see normal again. The doctors called me miracle man because I didn't have any brain injury and was never knocked out.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

615 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,068 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,266
Posts18,448,266
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.