Print Thread
Hop To
#15148608 08/19/20
K
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Hope that fire near OK Falls is not near your home and you and your family are safe.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Big dfitto here. Dwayne, been praying for you all morning. The pics look like the fire is close to you, maybe just above your house.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
kolofardos and Okanagan;
Good afternoon to you both, I hope the day's a good one in your part of the world.

Thanks so much for the thoughts, that's very kind and I appreciate the thoughts and prayers.

So far the fire has to cross a couple roads to get to our area and if the wind stays as calm as it is now, then usually the firefighters can use them as fire breaks.

It's pretty warm again today, but much, much less windy than the previous two days so that's a plus for sure and certain.

Where my wife and daughter work they are under evacuation alert, but so far that's the extent of it there.

While it's yet to be confirmed, as far as I'm aware there's only been a single house consumed, so that's a miracle in itself.

Thanks for the prayers and well wishes, I very much appreciate them.

All the best to both of your families and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thoughts and prayers from Iowa for safety.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dwayne, hopefully we get the rain that is forecast for Friday. On the bright side, that burned off area is going to be good hunting for for quite a few years afterward. Take care my friend.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
673:
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's a bit less smoky for you folks up there and all else is as it should be for you.

Thanks for checking in, I appreciate it and as they say, "so far, so good" as the wind stayed away yesterday and last night so they made some progress.

Yesterday afternoon, a buddy dropped by with his buddy who was picking up a rifle I'd been working on for him. Anyway the guy with the rifle works for a local logging contractor and they were just kicked out of the bush the day before as it's too dry. However as of O-darkhundred this morning he'll be up on top of the Christie fire running skidder as they're contracted to do some fire break lines on the east side.

As well, we're still supposed to get some rain Friday too which wouldn't be a bad thing.

Indeed it'll make for some grand hunting in a few years. The area where the Garnet fire burned became fantastic sheep and deer habitat in a couple years and this should too. This Christie fire has actually burned into some of the regrowth of the Garnet so I'm told - reminding me yet again of how old I'm getting as I recall the Garnet like it was last year and really and truly it was not.... frown

All the best to you all sir and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 08/20/20.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Stay safe Dwayne, may Our Lord Bless you, and family.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
O
O
Hello Dwayne, your friend Olympia here. Hope all turns out well for you. It's raining here on the coast, hopefully it will there as well too soon

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Olympia:
Top of the morning to you sir! It's good to see you here, I hope you enjoy it!

We're not exactly out of the woods - and I'm intentionally using a double entendre there because.... well it's me after all. wink

If the wind stays the way we need it to and if it keeps cool it'll help.

This morning's walk seemed to indicate it's come a long way south overnight which is much closer to us, but there's a huge canyon that'll help somewhat as a break there.

We'll see, you know? Summer in the Okanagan! laugh

Good to see you here for sure though sir, all the best to you folks and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 08/21/20. Reason: forgot one

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stay safe Dwayne.....a big fire is burning south of you in the Bitterroot too, behind my mom's place. It's normal and fires are something a guy has to accept living in the intermountain west.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T Inman;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking to be a good one in your part of the world and all else is where you'd prefer it to be.

For sure there's a few fires going on now and it's making things a tad sporty.

Just south of us in Washington the Palmer Fire was expanding and it appears was 17 square miles at last report. I'm not sure if we had any Canucks down there fighting it or not, quite often the air crews will cross borders when asked to do so.

As you mentioned, fire is something we either accept out here or we'll need to relocate as they're a fact of life in summer.

While I've done as much fire mitigation pruning as possible on much of the area around the house and buildings, our terrain and physical size of the property mean that it's not all done and like as not never will be either, you know?

The one building which was lost in the local fire thus far was reported to have cedar shakes on it and while I "get" why folks like the look of cedar shakes, there's no way one could convince me to have them where our house is. We've also got stucco siding as well as fire resistant shingles, so that would help, but if one of the big Ponderosa Pines near the house gets going and falls into the house that'd be it.

Some of the neighbors have logged far enough around their houses to prevent that and I take their point, but part of why we like to live in the trees is the trees.....

Thanks for checking in sir, all the best to you and have a good fall.

Dwayne

PS;
If for whatever reason you're having an issue getting a Hi-Viz Delrin follower for that lovely 97, shoot me a PM as I happened to find a couple of them as I've been cleaning up my shop! Apparently I ordered "a few" things and put them in a "safe place" underneath some other stuff...... ugh. blush

Anyways I have a couple different types if you need and can't find that I'd be happy to stuff in the mail for you sir.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dwayne, heard on the news that the winds have gotten up & fire is raging again.

Hope you & yours are OK ?

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Paul;
Thanks for checking in sir, I appreciate it and hope all is well with you folks too.

We've got a pretty good wind alright that came up about an hour back, but thus far it's from the south which is pushing the fire away from us.

As with most things in life, this can change in short order too, but so far that's where we're at.

Thanks much and all the best to you folks this weekend sir.

Dwayne

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hope the wind gives you a break and the weather chills a bit.

It's August here in Floriduh and so far the high temp for today is 74*. In August at 4:15 PM. This global freezing scares me a lot!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal
T Inman;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking to be a good one in your part of the world and all else is where you'd prefer it to be.

For sure there's a few fires going on now and it's making things a tad sporty.

Just south of us in Washington the Palmer Fire was expanding and it appears was 17 square miles at last report. I'm not sure if we had any Canucks down there fighting it or not, quite often the air crews will cross borders when asked to do so.

As you mentioned, fire is something we either accept out here or we'll need to relocate as they're a fact of life in summer.

While I've done as much fire mitigation pruning as possible on much of the area around the house and buildings, our terrain and physical size of the property mean that it's not all done and like as not never will be either, you know?

The one building which was lost in the local fire thus far was reported to have cedar shakes on it and while I "get" why folks like the look of cedar shakes, there's no way one could convince me to have them where our house is. We've also got stucco siding as well as fire resistant shingles, so that would help, but if one of the big Ponderosa Pines near the house gets going and falls into the house that'd be it.

Some of the neighbors have logged far enough around their houses to prevent that and I take their point, but part of why we like to live in the trees is the trees.....

Thanks for checking in sir, all the best to you and have a good fall.

Dwayne

PS;
If for whatever reason you're having an issue getting a Hi-Viz Delrin follower for that lovely 97, shoot me a PM as I happened to find a couple of them as I've been cleaning up my shop! Apparently I ordered "a few" things and put them in a "safe place" underneath some other stuff...... ugh. blush

Anyways I have a couple different types if you need and can't find that I'd be happy to stuff in the mail for you sir.

While I see and agree with your point about liking to live amongst the trees, I sure am glad you're realistic enough to realize that it's your choice to do so in fire country....We have always cleared all the Ponderosa pines and other fuels from around our places, though it does cut down on our shade....I do get a bit annoyed by folks that insist on building in an essentially dead forest, refuse to clear the fuels from their yard, then cry havoc and demand govt help when fires inevitably come through.

Anyhow I don't see a Model 1897 Derlin follower on the S&J Hardware site...I'll call and see if their Winchester follower will work and if so will get one coming. I'll keep you in mind if I have issues....

thanks!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T Inman;
Good afternoon once again sir.

The one I have - I think and will go double check now - is this one.

https://www.sjhardware.com/product/powerfeed-no-jam-combat-shotgun-follower-type-1-hivis-green/

They sold it as a universal fit and I want to say I've installed one of these on a Remington 870 without issue.

All the best to you once again and we'll be in touch.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 08/21/20. Reason: better sentence?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Dwayne....the following from that weblink is what concerns me:
For Remington 870 and variants – Fits most 12GA tubes

For the price it wouldn't be a big deal to get the wrong one but I'll still call them on Monday and make sure. 12 gauge tubes can't be all that different (other than the dimples on Remingtons and H&Rs) right?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T Inman;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day was a good one for you and you're week went well.

I'm thinking that they should be the same, but again there's always the devil in the details!

Today I decided to make up a Delrin follower for my 94 and was able to fab one up from the .502" rod I happened to have. Woulda worked fine too T if the mag tube didn't need something .558" ! laugh

Anyways I've got the concept down and a chunk of acetal rod making it's way here via the ether net - this time starting with 15mm rod.

If they're not sure or you can't get a straight answer, just send me your address and I'll stick this one in a Canada Post pouch for you and you can try it. If it works we can work something out and if not then we'll work something else out.

The offer's there anyways sir.

I can do some measurements for you too if you'd like first, which might be more to the point too taking today's 94 experiment into consideration.

All the best and have a good weekend.

Dwayne

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Dwayne! I'll let you know what they say either way.

You have a good weekend too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Things could have been a whole lot worse than they did, Thank God you and yours made out okay Dwayne, my BIL and his family are in OK Falls, and had to bug out, but there house and stuff was fine when they got back.
Fire is a terrible thing, I know this from experience!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 68 invisible), 2,799 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,200
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.