Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Anyone use them out of the 7mag for elk? Opinions / experiences? They shoot lights out from by Tikka at 3050 fps.

Thanks,
Andy

BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

How did you pull that up from so long ago? I need to figure that out.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by rickt300

I use an internet search engine and go to the campfire links. I can't figure out how to use the campfire search without getting hundreds of results. The search for this thread took less than 20 seconds. I entered "150 grain ballistic tip" into Duck Duck Go. The thread was a few links down on the results. Search engines need "training". If you go on the campfire a lot, the results will favor the campfire. I'd like to know who came up with the predictive software, and how it works. They call it "AI". I don't know about that.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Some search engines respond to something like this:

150 Ballistic Tip site:24hourcampfire.com

IC B2

A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Sounds like the experiences are pretty positive. I might swap a 150 accubond for the BT and see if the accuracy holds...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have used them both in my 300 WSM. 180gr and they fly identical. They literally go into the same group.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by bobinpa
I have used them both in my 300 WSM. 180gr and they fly identical. They literally go into the same group.

I hope I have the same result!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by rickt300

I use an internet search engine and go to the campfire links. I can't figure out how to use the campfire search without getting hundreds of results. The search for this thread took less than 20 seconds. I entered "150 grain ballistic tip" into Duck Duck Go. The thread was a few links down on the results. Search engines need "training". If you go on the campfire a lot, the results will favor the campfire. I'd like to know who came up with the predictive software, and how it works. They call it "AI". I don't know about that.

Good to know, go outside the forum to get older links, doesn't make sense but that is how it is.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just bought some 150g ABLR for my 7mm RM and .280 Rem. If I can't get 155g Federal Terminal Ascent bullets, they may get used this fall.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by aheider
Originally Posted by bobinpa

I hope I have the same result!

Stacked in the same spot at least at 100. I'm in business. grin

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it were me I’d use ttsx or the new federals look awesome!

Regarding your original Q. I’d go for the accubonds vs BT as it is a bonded bullet.
Sh*t happens In the woods and I’d want little insurance in case you hit the shoulder.

Externally, they look the same except for the tip colors, Ballistic Tip® bullets are color-coded by caliber while all AccuBond® bullets have white tips. Internally the Ballistic Tip® is not bonded and is designed for controlled expansion on medium game with approximately 50-60% weight retention.

Last edited by Dre; 08/21/20.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Dre
If it were me I’d use ttsx or the new federals look awesome!

Regarding your original Q. I’d go for the accubonds vs BT as it is a bonded bullet.
Sh*t happens In the woods and I’d want little insurance in case you hit the shoulder.

Externally, they look the same except for the tip colors, Ballistic Tip® bullets are color-coded by caliber while all AccuBond® bullets have white tips. Internally the Ballistic Tip® is not bonded and is designed for controlled expansion on medium game with approximately 50-60% weight retention.

Completely agree, I’ve killed a metric ton of critters with accubonds in a variety of calibers. I like the idea of the BT for practice ammo and deer and antelope. The accuracy is very good with both, I’m sure I’ll use the bombs on elk. I might use the BT for deer just for fun. grin

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ve been trying for over 30 years to convince my deer and elk hunting friend and partner to switch from a ballistic tip or similar 150 gr 7mm Rem Mag Federal blue box ammo, but he won’t. And I can’t argue with him, with him having killed very dead well over 20 elk and scores of deer. I have never seen him lose an animal he hit, and most were one shot kills.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I killed two big Bull elk with 140g Nosler Ballistic tips with the 7 Mag at 3250, first run of the ballistic tips. You would not believe how fast those big bulls died with behind the shoulder shots. Bullets did not penetrate both sides. One bull hit the ground and never kicked, shot on a dead run, slightly quartering broadside shot. The other bull was also on the run on a broadside shot behind the leg, and he kicked one real leg twice. Both were between 150-200 yards.

In the area I was hunting in, we saw elk hanging that had been shot with 270 Win shot with 150g Core locts, and 30/06's with 180g Core locts. They laughed at me shooting a 7 Mag which they called a cannon.

Cheapest part of the hunt is the bullet.

I have an old friend that hunts that area and all he uses is a 7 Mag with 120g TSX, says he has never found a bullet. This guy has probably killed 200 elk in his life if not more as he has hunted Az, Co, and NM, Mule man to boot. When he was shooting cup and core bullets, he shot the 175g Rem core loct in 7 Mag. He has a 16 Hand tall mule that is the color of Elk.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by keith
I killed two big Bull elk with 140g Nosler Ballistic tips with the 7 Mag at 3250, first run of the ballistic tips. You would not believe how fast those big bulls died with behind the shoulder shots. Bullets did not penetrate both sides. One bull hit the ground and never kicked, shot on a dead run, slightly quartering broadside shot. The other bull was also on the run on a broadside shot behind the leg, and he kicked one real leg twice. Both were between 150-200 yards.

In the area I was hunting in, we saw elk hanging that had been shot with 270 Win shot with 150g Core locts, and 30/06's with 180g Core locts. They laughed at me shooting a 7 Mag which they called a cannon.

Cheapest part of the hunt is the bullet.

I have an old friend that hunts that area and all he uses is a 7 Mag with 120g TSX, says he has never found a bullet. This guy has probably killed 200 elk in his life if not more as he has hunted Az, Co, and NM, Mule man to boot. When he was shooting cup and core bullets, he shot the 175g Rem core loct in 7 Mag. He has a 16 Hand tall mule that is the color of Elk.

I watched my brother put one of those early 140 BT from a 280 into the shoulder of a cow. From fairly close range, broadside, about 80 yds. He said he just couldn't hold off the shoulder for some reason. Struck the meat and it looked like an M80 went off inside the shoulder. She kept her feet and kept moving until he shot her again. It was hard to say for sure, but it didn't look like any part of the bullet made it into the ribs. The second shot was into the ribs and made a hell of a mess. Those early ones were "fragile" at times.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
There are better options.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That’s what my wife will be using in her 280 Remington for moose 150gr ballistic tip.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 79S
That’s what my wife will be using in her 280 Remington for moose 150gr ballistic tip.

And why that particular bullet for moose?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive been using that bullet in my .275 Rigby. Accuracy is excellent and so is performance, but mind you they are going at a LOT more moderate velocity than a 7mag...

I would not hesitate to shoot elk with the combo...

Last edited by ingwe; 08/22/20.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
507 members (1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 41 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,973
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.