Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by keith
I killed two big Bull elk with 140g Nosler Ballistic tips with the 7 Mag at 3250, first run of the ballistic tips. You would not believe how fast those big bulls died with behind the shoulder shots. Bullets did not penetrate both sides. One bull hit the ground and never kicked, shot on a dead run, slightly quartering broadside shot. The other bull was also on the run on a broadside shot behind the leg, and he kicked one real leg twice. Both were between 150-200 yards.

In the area I was hunting in, we saw elk hanging that had been shot with 270 Win shot with 150g Core locts, and 30/06's with 180g Core locts. They laughed at me shooting a 7 Mag which they called a cannon.

Cheapest part of the hunt is the bullet.

I have an old friend that hunts that area and all he uses is a 7 Mag with 120g TSX, says he has never found a bullet. This guy has probably killed 200 elk in his life if not more as he has hunted Az, Co, and NM, Mule man to boot. When he was shooting cup and core bullets, he shot the 175g Rem core loct in 7 Mag. He has a 16 Hand tall mule that is the color of Elk.

I watched my brother put one of those early 140 BT from a 280 into the shoulder of a cow. From fairly close range, broadside, about 80 yds. He said he just couldn't hold off the shoulder for some reason. Struck the meat and it looked like an M80 went off inside the shoulder. She kept her feet and kept moving until he shot her again. It was hard to say for sure, but it didn't look like any part of the bullet made it into the ribs. The second shot was into the ribs and made a hell of a mess. Those early ones were "fragile" at times.

I have heard that, just never seen it. I expect that many bullets would splash on an elk shoulder. I have killed many deer with those old ballistic tips and still have a few boxes left.

Today, my Elk bullet would be a 175g Sierra btsp or partition in a 7 mag.

Last edited by keith; 08/22/20.
GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
There are better options.

Based upon what evidence?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aheider
Originally Posted by 79S
That’s what my wife will be using in her 280 Remington for moose 150gr ballistic tip.

And why that particular bullet for moose?

Cause it works and used before on moose... don’t overthink it

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by aheider
Originally Posted by 79S
That’s what my wife will be using in her 280 Remington for moose 150gr ballistic tip.

And why that particular bullet for moose?

Cause it works and used before on moose... don’t overthink it

A lot of things will certainly work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rickt300

How did you pull that up from so long ago? I need to figure that out.

I use an internet search engine and go to the campfire links. I can't figure out how to use the campfire search without getting hundreds of results. The search for this thread took less than 20 seconds. I entered "150 grain ballistic tip" into Duck Duck Go. The thread was a few links down on the results. Search engines need "training". If you go on the campfire a lot, the results will favor the campfire. I'd like to know who came up with the predictive software, and how it works. They call it "AI". I don't know about that.

Thats slicker than snot,was getting tired of spending to much time searching on here and still not find anything,thanks

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by DANNYL
Originally Posted by rickt300

I use an internet search engine and go to the campfire links. I can't figure out how to use the campfire search without getting hundreds of results. The search for this thread took less than 20 seconds. I entered "150 grain ballistic tip" into Duck Duck Go. The thread was a few links down on the results. Search engines need "training". If you go on the campfire a lot, the results will favor the campfire. I'd like to know who came up with the predictive software, and how it works. They call it "AI". I don't know about that.

Thats slicker than snot,was getting tired of spending to much time searching on here and still not find anything,thanks

I'm glad to pass it on, if it helps!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Yeah, just type in your question followed by 24HourCampfire.com (ie 150 gr Ballistic Tip Elk 24HourCampfire.com)

I use it like this for all forums I am trying to search with really soilid results.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Best deer bullet ever have killed truckloads with it they typically drop in their tracks. I killed a couple of elk with them then I had a bullet hit & blow up on elk ribs left a palm sized entry nice bull ran about 600 yards blowing blood from the shrapnel wound in the snow. He died and was recovered but I switched to 150 grain Barnes TTSX with similar stellar accuracy & bone crunching power. You will be well served by the Barnes - shoot any angle you like including through the shoulder quartering to you.

For deer the NBT can’t be beat, but elk are a different story my old Ruger shoots both of them into less than a dime for 3 shots if I do my part. Knowing that your bullet will break bones and still exit 99% of the time is nice with a big heavy animal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

An even better way is to use a customized google search... no need to write
24hourcampfire as the campfire is the only site it will search.

Just enter the subject in the upper left box you want to search:

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=016407629494559605640:xponie3lspc

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks Brad! Very helpful

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot a cow elk with one last year from 280 AI, so not quite 7mm Rem Mag speeds. Bullet killed quickly. Did not exit.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have only used them on deer but I am sure it will work fine on elk. But just for peace of mind I would go with the Accubond or possibly LRAB but the standard is first choice. More than once I have tried for a tight behind the shoulder shot only to pull it into the shoulder so I like a bullet that this will not be an issue with. Also if in timber you seldom get a chance to wait for an ideal shot so the greater confidence in the Accubond would help even if the performance is not that drastically different than the BT. I really can't say as I have never caught either in a deer.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Don't ask Dober how well they work. I am pretty sure that Montanan has stacked up a pile of animals from a Mashburn with the 150 BT. If that fella trusts them to work from a Mashburn, I am pretty sure we aren't going to hurt them at lesser speeds.

Semper Fi
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I use a 150 TTSX for elk in 7 Mag. Couple of guys in our group used BT for a couple hunts and switched to TTSX. Personally, I like higher weight retention and a better chance of exit with the mono’s. Your call. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by beretzs
Don't ask Dober how well they work. I am pretty sure that Montanan has stacked up a pile of animals from a Mashburn with the 150 BT. If that fella trusts them to work from a Mashburn, I am pretty sure we aren't going to hurt them at lesser speeds.

Couldn't agree more. Dober has used that bullet a LOT.

I've used the 150 NBT on elk only once, and only from a 7-08. Results were, not surprisingly, superb.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

The 150 gr BT's are awesome bullets.. I used the 150 gr BT outta my 280 Rem on two big sow hogs last year. Shots were about 45 yds. Those porkers never knew what him them. Complete pass through on both.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you miss big bones the BT works well. Don’t be surprised if you need a follow up shot Depending on angle. It isn’t stout enough to consistently break an elk shoulder- I don’t take that chance anymore.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nosler recommends the BT for deer and the AB for elk and moose. I've shot both and they're equally accurate. I figure Nosler has a reason for recommending the AB for larger game, like maybe they're built stronger.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Nosler recommends the BT for deer and the AB for elk and moose. I've shot both and they're equally accurate. I figure Nosler has a reason for recommending the AB for larger game, like maybe they're built stronger.

Maybe, or they wanna insure sales...

Honestly, most of the Ballistic Tips I have used have blown on thru and the ones that haven't have been excellent recoveries. I haven't done as much with Hornady's and know they're well respected for being reasonable in cost and performing very well, but the heavy for caliber Ballistic Tips have been some of the best Cup/Core non bonded bullets I have used.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Maybe, or they wanna insure sales...

Honestly, most of the Ballistic Tips I have used have blown on thru and the ones that haven't have been excellent recoveries. I haven't done as much with Hornady's and know they're well respected for being reasonable in cost and performing very well, but the heavy for caliber Ballistic Tips have been some of the best Cup/Core non bonded bullets I have used.

I use the AB and ABLR for a lot of my hunting. Cheaper BT or, more often, SST for practice.

The one elk I shot with a BT was on the ground before I recovered from the recoil. Broadside, cow, about 280 yards.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 09/03/20.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 73 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,677
Posts18,456,258
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.