Print Thread
Hop To
R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

SCI is selling tickets for the show and banquets. Any ideas if will happen?
The demographic of SCI and being in Las Vegas must be big factors to consider.
Any thoughts?

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
SCI is for the blueblod Hollywood hunters who like awards, canned hunts, and telling everybody how great they are. Approximately 60% of their budget went to paying their egotistical staff an overhead last I looked.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
That has not been my experience with SCI, but I know the Blue Blood stigma is there. I can speak mainly to our local chapter, and my first trip to Africa was purchased at a SCI auction. It was in Namibia, and it was not canned nor high fenced. It was an amazing experience that influenced me to go back and not only hunt but become involved in anti poaching efforts in Zimbabwe.

Funds from our local chapter auction have contributed to radio collar studies of our local deer herd, installing big game drinkers for deer and bighorn sheep, hunts for our wounded veterans, junior pheasant hunts, sponsoring teachers for conservation courses, and most recently the efforts to reintroduce endangered Sonoran Pronghorn to California. The list goes on.

I have been side-by side millionaires picking up trash left behind slob shooters preventing a local shooting area from being shut down. Are there egos? Absolutely, but everyone one I have met so far took risks and built businesses. They earned it.

We live in a time where hunting and shooting are under attack. I may not agree with National, but I am proud to list the work our chapter has done and will match that to any so-called environmental group.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Great post, Calaveras!

SCI does what the cyber warriors here don't. They get off their duffs and do good work for all hunters and shooters. I can't afford to go on expensive hunts now, never really could but did back in the day, but I do send them a small contribution every year and am a member.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great stuff Calaveras for sure. Our local does much the same thing and is always one of the top chapters nationally. Unfortunately that has nothing to do with the national chapter, which is becoming a joke, which was the gist of the OP.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
JG is right. The local SCI chapters are all working hard for the right reasons. The National organization has prostituted itself and has priced itself to such an extent that the organization is bleeding, heavily.
Check the attendance figures at the last 3 shows and compare them to DSC. They are getting trounced in attendance.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by RinB

Any thoughts?

I believe the OP is asking about the convention, and if it will happen. Not the egos of leadership/members. So my apologies to the OP for going off-track.

In my estimation, the convention is 50/50 at best. Outfitters are getting crushed this year with cancellations so they would love to have both DSC and SCI events. However, with 1000 deaths per day and no vaccine on the horizon, travel restrictions may be with us for another year? Who knows?

SCI is currently conducting an on-line fundraiser to help the outfitters, and that may well be the operational platform for the next convention.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
JG is right. The local SCI chapters are all working hard for the right reasons. The National organization has prostituted itself and has priced itself to such an extent that the organization is bleeding, heavily.
Check the attendance figures at the last 3 shows and compare them to DSC. They are getting trounced in attendance.

The last 3 shows were in Reno. People do not like the transfers required to get into Reno. Nor are there low priced airfares to get to Reno. That is the main reason attendance has been down.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Great stuff Calaveras for sure. Our local does much the same thing and is always one of the top chapters nationally. Unfortunately that has nothing to do with the national chapter, which is becoming a joke, which was the gist of the OP.

That was not the gist of the OP. He plainly asks if the 50th anniversary 2021 convention would be held. Your answer was colored by your preference of DSC.

Originally Posted by Caleveras

Any thoughts?

I believe the OP is asking about the convention, and if it will happen. Not the egos of leadership/members. So my apologies to the OP for going off-track.

In my estimation, the convention is 50/50 at best. Outfitters are getting crushed this year with cancellations so they would love to have both DSC and SCI events. However, with 1000 deaths per day and no vaccine on the horizon, travel restrictions may be with us for another year? Who knows?

SCI is currently conducting an on-line fundraiser to help the outfitters, and that may well be the operational platform for the next convention.

Will outfitters and guests be able to travel? Will outfitters have promotion funds left given that their income this year has been greatly diminished/nonexistent? Will SCI be able to satisfy attendees concerns regarding Covid enough that people will come to Vegas? SCI has Emailed questionnaires regarding a lot of these questions. In my case, will the border even be open?

Most of these questions cannot be answered yet. I wouldn't book flights and hotels yet.

Last edited by AB2506; 08/21/20.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If you SCI guys want to support a national venture that pays out the majority of it's income to it's staff, merges with TX Trophy Hunters only to get sued by them for stealing their intellectual property, mailing list, and member's list, then you go right ahead. Yes, I'll take DSC over the egomaniacs at SCI any and every day of the week.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
JG,

Good morning Sir. I was trying to get back to the OPs original question regarding if the SCI events where going to happen, and I clearly stated in my original post " I may not agree with National ".

I have never attended the DSC convention and have heard nothing but great things about it and DSC as an organization.

Also wanted to point out all the good local SCI chapters have accomplished.

All the best

IC B3

R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

I wasn’t trying to create a forum for criticism of SCI, rather I doubt there will be a convention given the COVID situation. I was interested in your thoughts.

SCI hasn’t been very welcoming to exhibiting outfitters and gunmakers. In contrast DSC has done a great job taking care of both of them. It is pretty easy to get there, about as easy as LasVegas.

SCI is going to Nashville before long and I believe that will be a crucible event for the organization.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The 2018 show was in Vegas but it moved from Mandelay Bay to the Sands, if I remember correctly. I have worked the last 4 SCI shows and know first hand what attendance has done.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I wasn’t trying to create a forum for criticism of SCI, rather I doubt there will be a convention given the COVID situation. I was interested in your thoughts.

SCI hasn’t been very welcoming to exhibiting outfitters and gunmakers. In contrast DSC has done a great job taking care of both of them. It is pretty easy to get there, about as easy as LasVegas.

SCI is going to Nashville before long and I believe that will be a crucible event for the organization.

You're right.. The convention will be rotating through the country for the near future.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I just hope things settle down enough for the DSC convention to happen.

NRA Patron
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by dale06
I just hope things settle down enough for the DSC convention to happen.

With the current and foreseeable uncertainty I don't see the international folks booking the trip to Dallas hence I don't the show happening.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
R
I’m on the board for the Alaska Wild Sheep Foundation. I attended the Sheep Show in Reno last year (1st time), and DSC (1st time in awhile). Given what we went through trying to have our banquet this year, my gut says the 2021 big shows will NOT happen. Very sad. I hope I’m wrong, but for these long trips, tickets and arrangements for booth set-up for vendors have to be made in the next two months....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,880 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,969
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.