Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Which one and why?

For fun say .375 H&H

Mike

Last edited by ready_on_the_right; 08/20/20.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

BP-B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
CZ because it holds 5 rounds.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Pre-64 M-70 375H&H is my choice. Accurate, reliable, well balanced. 4 rounds in the magazine and 1 in the chamber have been enough to handle the hunting I’ve done with it. Despite the apparent popularity for 20”-22” barrels on 24HCF, I prefer the 25” barrel, with a quick detachable scope and an aperture sight.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

5 rounds plus 1 in the chamber.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone else?

NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Model 70 classic for me.

1. Handling goes to Model 70, much improved by cutting and fluting barrel
2. Trigger goes to Model 70 classic
3. Safety goes to Model 70
4. Scope mounting options go to Model 70
5. Open sights go to CZ

Arcus Venator
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

5 rounds plus 1 in the chamber.

My m1917 has both beat:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

6+1 and a better safety lever...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Which one and why?

For fun say .375 H&H

Mike

Pre 64 model 70 is the only way to go on this one...^^^^^

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do not need or want a .375 HH, but I do need and have and use/shoot pre 64 Model 70 Featherweight.

All my big bore rifles are doubles or lever guns.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I really like my M70 375...

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...B0_B0F5_85447CA84645_IMG_5938.HEIC[/img]

Pretty fair shooting rifle for an old rebore!

Semper Fi
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Scotty - I've always liked how you set up that 375 Winchester 70.

OP - the 550 is a great rifle, somehow feels a bit heavy to me? Not that the factory Winchester 70 is svelte.

I'm not sure you can go wrong with either, and BSA has a unique and useful alternative.

Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AFIK, the CZ has both a one-piece bolt and the undercut groove for the extractor collar that causes it to dig in deeper the harder you pull. Post-64s lack both, and some have crappy steel extractors. The bolt handle can be welded and the extractor replaced if needed.

A pre-64 would be awesome, but likely costly in .375, as would the Browning High Powers you didn't mention, but that are also available sometimes.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I really like my M70 375...

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...B0_B0F5_85447CA84645_IMG_5938.HEIC[/img]

Pretty fair shooting rifle for an old rebore!

Pre 64 H&H action is the way to do it..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Cascade
Scotty - I've always liked how you set up that 375 Winchester 70.

OP - the 550 is a great rifle, somehow feels a bit heavy to me? Not that the factory Winchester 70 is svelte.

I'm not sure you can go wrong with either, and BSA has a unique and useful alternative.

Guy

I'm like Scotty, in that I like the pre 64's. The H&H receivers are one of my favorites to build on. I sold one 375 H&H to gunner here and it is a damn tack driver. He took that rifle to Africa a few years ago and used it successfully on some African big game. Here's that rifle before I sold it to him:
I would pack it around in the elk woods. It's probably a bit big for elk, but I've heard it works just fine. The most recent 375 I had was a pre war. I picked it up for a great deal here locally and turned around and sold it:

The pre 64's feed so smoothly and always shoot accurately (speaking big bore 375's). My experience with the CZ550 was fairly short lived (had and used it for a few years). The rifle was a very accurate rifle, but did not handle very well. Mine was chambered in 9.3x62mm, but was basically the same exact gun they build the 375's on:
The sob thought it was a varmint rifle, it was amazingly accurate. Like I mentioned in an early post though, I hated the safety lever. I used this rifle in the field and that's where I find out whether or not it earns its place in the stable:
Thats where my m1917's shine. It might just be me because I shoot lefty, but for a left handed shooter shooting a right handed rifle, nothing feels better than a m1917 safety lever. However, it's not just the safety lever i dislike on the CZ. Its its poor handling characteristics. I can say the same thing for the Interarms MKX rifles. They just don't balance and point the way a good rifle is supposed to. I've sent damn accurate rifles down the road because they just don't feel right in the woods. A good rifle should feel like an extension of your arm, point like second nature and operation should be carried out without thought. That's the way the m1917 is for me, even though it is a "unique" alternative. If one were to find a prime condition sporter m1917, they could have a damn nice 375 made out of it. The enfield is a very robust action that can house some very big magnum cartridges. My 308 Norma magnum is built on a very nice sporter m1917 (BSA model E):
As is one of my 30-06 rifles.

Recently I saw a couple 375 H&H rifles locally that were around $1,100.00. One was a beautiful Kimber and the other a low comb pre 64 model 70 that had been engraved. The rifle was professionally engraved by a smith in Alaska (so the story went), but that greatly affects the value of the rifle. In my opinion, the rifle was priced too high at $1,100.00. I'm thinking if it sits on the shelf for another month or so, the shop owner may be more inclined to sell it cheaper.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
God help me when I drag my lowly stainless classic in a 375 H&H to kodiak in October for my bear hunt. Will you all say a prayer for me...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
God help me when I drag my lowly stainless classic in a 375 H&H to kodiak in October for my bear hunt. Will you all say a prayer for me...

Yeah, don't get eaten... Poor bear.. He'd probably spit you out on the first bite.. You know there is noting wrong with a classic stainless.. Should get the job done just fine, if the nut behind the butt does his part... One question though, did you shorten the barrel on that rifle, like DF did with his? 22" with irons would be cool...

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

Yeah, don't get eaten... Poor bear.. He'd probably spit you out on the first bite.. You know there is noting wrong with a classic stainless.. Should get the job done just fine, if the nut behind the butt does his part... One question though, did you shorten the barrel on that rifle, like DF did with his? 22" with irons would be cool...

Nope, rifle feels fine.. but what do I know I’m just a dumb Alaskan trying to survive..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Nope, rifle feels fine.. but what do I know I’m just a dumb Alaskan trying to survive..

Maybe try fishing?

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I really liked my BRNO 602 375 H&H (not near as clubby as the CZ) but sent it down the road after acquiring a stainless NH rifle that had been chopped, fluted and bedded into a Pound'r. I took the latter on an unsuccessful twelve day brown bear hunt in SE Alaska. I did swap out the extractor for a Williams.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Maybe try fishing?

Why is that what you are doing??? Fishing John day river for some catfish?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
I really liked my BRNO 602 375 H&H (not near as clubby as the CZ) but sent it down the road after acquiring a stainless NH rifle that had been chopped, fluted and bedded into a Pound'r. I took the latter on an unsuccessful twelve day brown bear hunt in SE Alaska. I did swap out the extractor for a Williams.

You better get 7 more holes in them targets before BSA tells you 3 shot groups are worthless. I settled on 74.5gr RL15, with a 300gr TSX and federal 215. Don’t tell anyone but I’m using a leupold scope as well..

Last edited by 79S; 09/07/20.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Ok, here is what I've been packing, it has, and will Get-er-Done.....
Lj, Alaska.... cool

Attached Images

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like my New Haven SS M-70 .375 H&H, chopped and fluted.

Speaking of CZ's, I had traded for this AHR in 9.3x62. It handled great, was a tad heavy but shot really well with JB's loads. I kept it a while, traded it. AHR does great things with the CZ. It's gotten sorta expensive, though.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Maybe try fishing?

Hey, are you spying on me??? You remember sherars bridge? Its part of the warmsprings tribal land. Girlfriend and I cruised by there earlier today and those fn indians are crazy sitting out over that rough azzed water on the Deschutes!!! Some have fallen in and died, but they still do it on those rickity azzed platforms..
Sherars falls

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Maybe try fishing?

Hey, are you spying on me???

Lol, I never did get a chance to fish the John
Day river. I had friends that did and they caught some nice cat fish.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Seriously, you been spying on me...??

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seriously, you been spying on me...??

Just the bathroom camera, you keep missing a spot when you shave your back..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone else?

I'd say the CZ and BRNO 602 are unnecessarily large/heavy for a 375magnum. Owned two 602s over the years.

If it was for a 416 or 404, go for the CZ.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

That is one sweet rifle!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SuperCub

That is one sweet rifle!

Thanks, and it shot about as well as it looks.

Here's a fav, one of JB's loads.

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
CZ 550 for me. I live in grizzly country (we get them right in our farmyard time to time) and used to pack a .45-70 but wanted something more versatile and have long bin fascinated by the .375 H&H calibre and what the pros say about it. So i did my research, took a look at CZ and Winchester mostly. I went with the CZ. I liked the lines a little better, i liked the sights better, i liked the capacity better, as others have said.

Also, when Rigby couldn't get Mauser actions during WWII they chose BRNO (CZ) actions for their rifles. You can still find the occasionally high-end Rigby for sale with these actions. Indeed i have read reviewers who say they cycle BETTER than the magnum Mauser actions they are styled after. They have a reputation for flawless dependability amongst PH's in Africa where it has been commented that more PH's carry CZ's than any other rifle. I thought, good enough for Rigby, good enough for PH's, good enough for me. Oh, i have also read comparisons where it is the most accurate of rifles tested - including Winchester - right out of the box.

So i bought a base model, about $1,200. As many others have written, the bolt needed some breaking-in, but after several hundred cycles it became very smooth. Also, while the walnut was perfectly decent the stock was overbuilt and rudimentarily finished. I reshaped and refinished the stock (planed, sanded, stained and oil polished) based on the lines of the old Rigby stocks. I also put a barrel-band sling holder on and had the barrel shortened 2" from 25" (too long for me) to 23" which i think is perfect. There was no effect on the superb accuracy.

It now looks and handles like vintage high-end working safari rifle. I reckon for $1,200 that's what you get from CZ - a high-end rifle in the rough. A little elbow grease and you end up with the equivalent of a $5,000 rifle cos of course that's where much of the cost is in these premium brands - the time put into hand finishing. And you can get one of those with CZ too, if you don't mind paying that much and don't want to do the work yourself. With a lower-priced CZ you have a great platform. Oh, the set trigger is a really nice feature too, on the range or on the stand. I carry this rifle with me everywhere in these hills and even on the farm when i'm in the thick stuff and the dogs have bin going nuts at night and those little tufts of silver tipped hair are on the barbed wire along with those big, long-clawed tracks. Love it. I've worked up some nice handloads for various hunting duties.

I have recently heard they are discontinuing manufacture of their magnum rifles, however. I have also heard more recently manufactured ones are not what the older ones are (but others saying their late models are just fine.) So i suppose there may be some urgency in finding one.

Last edited by gulo; 09/09/20.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Incidentally, as an addendum to my above post, my CZ .375 "American Safari" came with a fairly slim stock when i bought it new about a decade ago, if overbuilt in the grip area especially. There was no comb and the fore-end had a slim contour compared to all the pics i've seen of this model. I have never been able to find a pic of a late model CZ 550 magnum with the stock mine came with in fact, and i would agree wholeheartedly with those who say the stocks on most of them are way overbuilt. Big, rectangular, clumsy things. So mostly the work i did on the stock was smoothing edges and considerably recontouring/streamlining and reducing the pistol grip.

Most interesting is that i was just looking at pictures of old BRNO .375's that others here have commented were slimmer than the recent CZ's and lo and behold there on some of these 60's guns is the stock that my later model CZ came with, contour-wise. I wonder what was up there? Did they have some old BRNO stocks laying around they wanted to use?

Last edited by gulo; 09/09/20.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, those are good, solid guns, diamonds in the rough.

I've read where JB did similar with his big CZ, got it slimmed down to fit him, refinished the stock and is pleased with the result.

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Within a couple of weeks my wife's refined cz 550 7x57 will arrive home. I will have to get pics up. I understand it is a shade over 7lbs which is a decent weight savings compared to what it began life as from the factory. I will say the trigger was tuned well.

The way life should be.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would say with the CZ push forward set trigger that the trigger goes to CZ also.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MS9x56
I would say with the CZ push forward set trigger that the trigger goes to CZ also.

I don't find their set trigger all that great. The MOA on my M70 308 is better than my CZ set trigger. The set isn't awful, but is no Canjar.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I only have one 375 H&H, but it is an AI version. It's a Pre-64. I can find no fault with it.

I had another 375 H&H but the stock didn't fit me. It was a straight 375 H&H but it felt like it kicked harder than the Winchester. I can't recall the manufacture and I only shot maybe 10 rounds through it.

I had a Post 64 300 Winchester Classic and I didn't care for it. I doubt I'll buy another.

If you can find a pre-64 Winchester, buy it.

I have a couple of CZ's though, nothing as powerful as a 375. I find no fault with them.

Last edited by Bugger; 09/19/20.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
While I haven't owned a FN Winchester, I did own a 80's NH. The Winchester handles better, but the CZ is a better built gun. I no longer own the Winchester, and have two CZ's in the safe. One a 375, and the other a 270 from CZ's custom shop. It's a shame they are no longer being built. But as Jeff Cooper used to say, "I've got mine."

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought a CZ 550 Safari American, found it a Gander Mountain about ten years ago on sale so got it for a real bargin. I already had a Ruger #1 in that caliber and it is not pleasant to shoot, kicks hard and fast, which I think has to do more with stock shape and fit. The CZ attracted me because of two things, it fit me perfectly, and yes the stock is a bit chubby,but the wide buttplate helps with recoil. I could throw it up and those express sights line up perfectly for me. Second thing was that the stop was absolutly beautiful.. They had two other identical models, in .458 Lott and .416 Rigby. I would have liked the Rigby but both of those had rather pain wood, and I rightly figured I could afford to shoot the .375 more, especially considering the price of the Rigby brass. With the weight and "chubby" stock this rifle is milder in the recoil dept than my old Win 70 featherweight in 30-06

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 5shot

I don't find their set trigger all that great. The MOA on my M70 308 is better than my CZ set trigger. The set isn't awful, but is no Canjar.

You guys better be careful with those CZ triggers too, they are weak and are prone to breaking.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 5shot

You guys better be careful with those CZ triggers too, they are weak and are prone to breaking.

MIM vs. steel and aluminum.

I repaired this CZ with a Timney.

CZ's break, Timney's don't

DF

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Some fine rifles and good info guys keep it coming!

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks DF. As far as I'm concerned, that is CZ's weak point. Along with the funky plastic follower they use instead of using metal like everyone else does. The stocks don't fit me for chidt and probably one of the reasons you had yours worked over by AHR. When I hunted mine, it felt and handled like a 2x4. The safety lever leaves much to be desired as well. I much prefer my pre 64's, there's no contest and when you compare accuracy of the 375 H&H rifles, CZ doesn't beat the pre 64 by much. CZ's can be phenomenally accurate. I'd venture to say that the CZ isn't going to feed as well as a pre 64 either. They are more like a Ruger m77 in that regard, especially if it has the plastic follower. That's the first thing I threw away when I bought mine. You used to be able to contact CZ and they would send out a replacement steel follower to replace the plastic pos... I know where a beautiful Pre 64 model 70 375H&H is for $1,000.00. If there were a brand new CZ sitting next to it, it would be a no brainer as to which one I'd buy. Just sayin..

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I know where a beautiful Pre 64 model 70 375H&H is for $1,000.00. If there were a brand new CZ sitting next to it, it would be a no brainer as to which one I'd buy. Just sayin..

Those fine old Pre-64's aren't as pricey as they had been, sort of a buyers scenario compared to a few years ago.

The younger generation is all about black rifles and Glocks. Just leaves us ole farts hanging around, drooling over fine old walnut and blued steel rifles.

Oh well...

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I know where a beautiful Pre 64 model 70 375H&H is for $1,000.00. If there were a brand new CZ sitting next to it, it would be a no brainer as to which one I'd buy. Just sayin..

Those fine old Pre-64's aren't as pricey as they had been, sort of a buyers scenario compared to a few years ago.

The younger generation is all about black rifles and Glocks. Just leaves us ole farts hanging around, drooling over fine old walnut and blued steel rifles.

Oh well...

DF

Isnt that the truth!!

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just want to find a nice shooter pre 64 in a 06.. I looked on gunbroker and the prices are up there.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 79S
I just want to find a nice shooter pre 64 in a 06.. I looked on gunbroker and the prices are up there.

Be sure you're not just looking at their ask prices, but what they actually sold for.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree w/ EdM - the CZ 550 stocks are a bit chunky, heavy and cumbersome. I also agree with CRS regarding the CZ trigger and safety, but the CZ 550 is certainly an accurate and a damn decent CRF.

Given the choice I'd go with the M70. CZ 550s are getting hard to find.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I remain firmly in the Model 70 camp, that said, my Tanzanian PH had a CZ Safari Classic in 450 Rigby that was a hell of a slim lighter weight rifle, classic straight stock and a hell of a set of Express sights, no scope, big bore stopper.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by gunner500
I remain firmly in the Model 70 camp, that said, my Tanzanian PH had a CZ Safari Classic in 450 Rigby that was a hell of a slim lighter weight rifle, classic straight stock and a hell of a set of Express sights, no scope, big bore stopper.

I have a CZ in 416 Rigby and I like it a lot. It is a great shooter and very accurate, yes the stock is a bit over size, but that can be corrected easily enough.

For large cartridges the CZ all day every day

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Have an old buddy with a big CZ 505 Gibbs, my 'Smith slimmed the stock on that giant pig, completely steel bedded everything, it's a big solid rifle now with a much trimmer stock, he slapped the piss out of the euro on my buddys rifle, it looks and shoots great now.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Have an old buddy with a big CZ 505 Gibbs, my 'Smith slimmed the stock on that giant pig, completely steel bedded everything, it's a big solid rifle now with a much trimmer stock, he slapped the piss out of the euro on my buddys rifle, it looks and shoots great now.

That's what I'm talking about!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never could warm up to CZ rifles. Something about them just feels "cheap" to me. The bolt handle and action just don't feel right either and the trigger is awful, set or no set.

Win 70 doesn't win any accuracy comps in my experience, but they feel and look way better to me, plus their bolts are much more solid. I'd go Win 70 any day over a CZ.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
In factory form, I would go with the M70.
If you are going to customize, either or.
Factory form, I much prefer the M70.
I have a CZ in 458 Lott, with the synthetic stock and 22” barrel it feels / handles pretty well. It does not have the factory trigger, has a 3 position safety, and the bolt handle has been altered.
But, I have a MRC 458 Lott stainless, 24” barrel, synthetic stock, and I prefer it. The MRC is very close to the M70.
You give up magazine capacity in stock form with the M70. But, I like the M70 safety and trigger better than the factory CZ.
The CZ is a big action, the 500 grain 458 Lott rounds look small in the magazine.
I personally think the M70’s make better 416 Remingtons than 375 H&H’s.
375 wise, I prefer the 375 Rugers without the brake.
I do like the M70 Classic stainless rifles. I do have one in 375 H&H, 22” barrel, and fiberglass stock. I still prefer the 375 Ruger in the Ruger rifles.

——————————————————————
Which one and why?

For fun say .375 H&H

Mike

Last edited by ldmay375; 11/02/20.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I never could warm up to CZ rifles. Something about them just feels "cheap" to me. The bolt handle and action just don't feel right either and the trigger is awful, set or no set.

Win 70 doesn't win any accuracy comps in my experience, but they feel and look way better to me, plus their bolts are much more solid. I'd go Win 70 any day over a CZ.

Ask gunner how accurate the old pre 64 model 70 375H&H, I sold to him, is. The old, pre 64, 375's are known to be good shooters.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 79S

i had a chance to buy a rifle like your Winchester 357 H&H S.S. dang i wished i would have purchased that rifle. so i said 2 prayers one for you on the hunt that you did well on and the other pray is you will sell me that dirty old factory S.S. 375 H&H Winchester cheap and might as well throw in that Leupold too . Grin

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by 79S

i had a chance to buy a rifle like your Winchester 357 H&H S.S. dang i wished i would have purchased that rifle. so i said 2 prayers one for you on the hunt that you did well on and the other pray is you will sell me that dirty old factory S.S. 375 H&H Winchester cheap and might as well throw in that Leupold too . Grin

lol, keep an eye out guys sell them cheap sometimes not realizing how hard they are to come by.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Which one and why?

For fun say .375 H&H

Mike

Model 70, no question, especially in that caliber. I have both. The CZ is NIB haven't even unpacked it. They don't make them anymore. I also haveo a CZ in 416Rigby

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Ask gunner how accurate the old pre 64 model 70 375H&H, I sold to him, is. The old, pre 64, 375's are known to be good shooters.

LOL Big BSA, still cant get over how accurate that pre-64 375 you sold me is, damn thing thinks it's a varmint rifle!

270gr TSX's [tested]
285gr Grand Slams [tested]
300gr Partitions [hunting soft]
300gr BBW #13 solids [hunting solid]

I even done a safari on the 20 old 270gr Bitterroot bonded cores you sent, how's that for easy load workup, then zero, then still have enough for 5 animal kills in Africa? smoked the other two animals with 750 grains of cast lead flat nosed bullet from my 50-90 Sharps.

All 1/2 moa in the rifle, as a matter of fact, the factory rollover/flipover barrel sight is dead on at 50 yards with 300gr solids at 2700 fps, just needed to tweak it a rch to the left, what an ALL game hammer that rifle is, steenbok to elephant to whitetail deer to American buffalo, it's all covered from 5 to 400 long yards.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

LOL Big BSA, still cant get over how accurate that pre-64 375 you sold me is, damn thing thinks it's a varmint rifle!

270gr TSX's [tested]

I even done a safari on the 20 old 270gr Bitterroot bonded cores you sent, how's that for easy load workup, then zero, then still have enough for 5 animal kills in Africa? smoked the other two animals with 750 grains of cast lead flat nosed bullet from my 50-90 Sharps.

All 1/2 moa in the rifle, as a matter of fact, the factory rollover/flipover barrel sight is dead on at 50 yards with 300gr solids at 2700 fps, just needed to tweak it a rch to the left, what an ALL game hammer that rifle is, steenbok to elephant to whitetail deer to American buffalo, it's all covered from 5 to 400 long yards.

Yep, that rifle sure shoots great. When I talked to bobin about it, he said all pre 64 375's he's seen have been tack drivers and very easy to load for. My old retired gunsmith told me the same thing. Im glad you took that rifle to Africa, it was made for that kind of hunting.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

270gr TSX's [tested]

Yep, that rifle sure shoots great. When I talked to bobin about it, he said all pre 64 375's he's seen have been tack drivers and very easy to load for. My old retired gunsmith told me the same thing. Im glad you took that rifle to Africa, it was made for that kind of hunting.

Glad I took it too my Friend, for many reasons, one being while I still COULD, with the world falling apart, African Safaris and or the ability to import trophy's back to the states may be on the commies hit list!.................that said, the old rifle has more hunts left in it than I do, what great old all game rifles the pre-64 375's are.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Depends on what you want to spend. Pre-64 Model 70 would be my choice. They can be expensive. Later than a pre-64 then no doubt a CZ 550. 5 rounds held, a true controlled round feed etc. Yes the "classic" Model is CRF, but I think the CZ is the better rifle. Mine is a 9.3X62.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (405joe, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 673 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,856
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.