-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If a guy had too much money laying around, didn't ming the added frustration, and his wife wasn't looking..... And so he decided to tune both 400's and 340's to the same bow, the 3Rivers Dynamic Calculator would seem to indicate that is very possible. Just a matter of changing lenght, pile weight, etc. so that the arrow(s) dynamic spine matches the bow dynamic spine. At least so it seems to me.

Is that correct? If you can get the same dyamic spine on two different spined shafts that the arrows should shoot fine/great out of the same bow?

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 08/20/20.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
If a guy had too much money laying around, didn't ming the added frustration, and his wife wasn't looking..... And so he decided to tune both 400's and 340's to the same bow, the 3Rivers Dynamic Calculator would seem to indicate that is very possible. Just a matter of changing lenght, pile weight, etc. so that the arrow(s) dynamic spine matches the bow dynamic spine. At least so it seems to me.

Is that correct? If you can get the same dyamic spine on two different spined shafts that the arrows should shoot fine/great out of the same bow?

If The DW, DL, arrow length, Point weight match up, I could see three or more spines matching up for a given shooter & Bow. Total arrow weight may vary dramaticly.

I would not likely get any point weight work with my 30 " DL & a 70 lb DW compound bow. Same DL & a 20 lb recurve & the 400 spine may come into play depending on point weight.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
That is correct. I don't have too much money laying around and don't seek added fustration, but I have tuned both 400 and 340 spine shafts to shoot good out of the same bow. The advantage of the 340's over 400's is more point weight and more forward of center balance on the shaft. It also gives you a heavier arrow...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have always wondered how you can use the 3Rivers Dynamic Calculator for modern compound bows?

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I doubt you can the way it is currently (or Stu Millers version for that matter). These calculators were developed with traditional bows in mind...

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My 45# Samick Discovery shoots very well with 32"/340 spine/250gr point, or 32"/400 spine/175gr point.

I've crunched numbers through the 3Rivers calculator, but actually shooting them seemed to be required to try different point weights to get the arrows hitting centered. Our individual differences probably introduce variables the calculator cannot predict.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGray
I doubt you can the way it is currently (or Stu Millers version for that matter). These calculators were developed with traditional bows in mind...

I was not clear. I do have a compound, but am working up arrows for a Bob Lee takedown recurve.

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 08/21/20.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
My 45# Samick Discovery shoots very well with 32"/340 spine/250gr point, or 32"/400 spine/175gr point.

I've crunched numbers through the 3Rivers calculator, but actually shooting them seemed to be required to try different point weights to get the arrows hitting centered. Our individual differences probably introduce variables the calculator cannot predict.

That's what I'm finding, and hoped to have others confirm it which I suppose you have! The calculator are snazzy bit of math work and give reasonable close results. But the're not perfect.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer

I was not clear. I do have a compound, but am working up arrows for a Bob Lee takedown recurve.

You were plenty clear on using it for your recurve. I was responding to nimrodtracy's inquiry on using it for compounds.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
They use to make straw like plastic tubes to add weight to carbon arrows without changing their spine. I would go that route before any other. I'm not a big fan of a lot of FOC on my arrows. I tend to think massively front weighted arrows are more about getting a too heavy and too stiff arrow to fly than about any needed extra penetration. I might experiment with it if I was hunting dangerous game but I know that even a 42lb bow with 9 grain per pound arrow tuned properly will blow right through and Elk. I know a guy who has killed several.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
They use to make straw like plastic tubes to add weight to carbon arrows without changing their spine......

I've seen those available at 3Rivers website.

https://www.3riversarchery.com/3rivers-archery-arrow-weight-tubes.html

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
They use to make straw like plastic tubes to add weight to carbon arrows without changing their spine......

I've seen those available at 3Rivers website.

https://www.3riversarchery.com/3rivers-archery-arrow-weight-tubes.html

Weed wacker string works too

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I know that even a 42lb bow with 9 grain per pound arrow tuned properly will blow right through and Elk. I know a guy who has killed several.

This is some funny stuff! It will certainly kill an elk put in the right spot. But that isn't the same as blowing right through an Elk!

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I know that even a 42lb bow with 9 grain per pound arrow tuned properly will blow right through and Elk. I know a guy who has killed several.

This is some funny stuff! It will certainly kill an elk put in the right spot. But that isn't the same as blowing right through an Elk!

wink I've seen way too many elk hit with much heavier modern and traditional gear with half the arrow sticking out on broadside shots behind the shoulder with ribs being the only potential to hit bone.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

wink I've seen way too many elk hit with much heavier modern and traditional gear with half the arrow sticking out on broadside shots behind the shoulder with ribs being the only potential to hit bone.

Yes Sir!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The newer and expanded version is the best bet. Knowing what results I get from a proven combination of arrow, length, and tip, I can run different set-ups to match the same dynamic spine numbers. Center shot measurement is a big factor.
Currently running Easton Aftermath carbons in .400 and Easton XX75 2216 from the same bow.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.