Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
ChanceD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Just bought a very nice Sako AV in 7mm Rem magnum. I’m planning on mounting a leupold vx5 3-15x44. What mounting system is the best for these rifles? Can I get away with just using leupold rings that mount to the integral base? What would you suggest?

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think, but don't know for sure, that the Leupold rings work the same way SAKO rings would work... so yes.

Very elegant mount system, to my mind.

-Chris

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The Leupold rings for the Sako are an excellent choice.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Leupolds work but are not as robust as Optilock one piece ringmounts..

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

Very Nice AV. Fiberclass I assume ? . On a heavy recoiling cartridge I would rather have the optilock pin in the rear recess holding everything together.

IC B2

C
ChanceD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
That’s not mine. I don’t have it in my hands yet, but here’s a couple of pics from gunbroker. I know this one comes with rings, but I don’t believe they’re 30mm.
[img]https://imgur.com/gallery/nyENrwX[/img]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Ranger4444
I think, but don't know for sure, that the Leupold rings work the same way SAKO rings would work... so yes.

Very elegant mount system, to my mind.

-Chris

I think I don't know what I'm talking about. Those Leupold rings don't look like mine. In addition to the dovetail clamp, mine each have "aft" extensions that drop a "recoil stop" (?) behind the forward and aft bridge flats.

[Linked Image]

The rear ring is on top, and that extension places a downward-facing stud behind the rear receiver ring. The front ring is on the bottom, but it's facing the wrong direction in this pic so the smaller extension on that one -- which overhangs a downward-facing "lip" (?) behind the front receiver ring -- isn't actually visible.

-Chris

Last edited by Ranger4444; 08/18/20.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Optilock, Leupold and Talley's have all worked for me. I have one AV that wears a 30mm scope and it is in Talley mounts. I would give them a call and order a set of Lows.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've tried them all. I have 3 Sako rifles all with Talley mounts.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've got a Sako 30-06, I think its an AIII an use Leupold Ringmounts. It seems sturdy and shoots great. I'd like to top it with a Nightforce SHV 3-10, but the tube seems too short. Does this call for a rail mount or is there another way? Is anybody doing this? Thanks.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WMR
I've got a Sako 30-06, I think its an AIII an use Leupold Ringmounts. It seems sturdy and shoots great. I'd like to top it with a Nightforce SHV 3-10, but the tube seems too short. Does this call for a rail mount or is there another way? Is anybody doing this? Thanks.

Get Near Sako Bases and add your choice of 30mm rings. If you are determined to go with tactical style rings or streamline HD rings that is the most elegant solution.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 08/18/20.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ranger444, are you sure those rings are not Millet instead of Leupold? RJ

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yep, could well be... although I obviously didn't know that on my first post.

-Chris

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are indeed Millet rings. I have a set on a SAKO 358 Norma Mag.

A bit complicated and finicky to install, but rock solid once on there.

Ted

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would avoid any ring base combo that uses the large windage screw at the rear base. These are normally Redfield, Leupold, or Burris. these screws can be easily over tighten crack and you might not even know it cause the recess in the rear base for the head of these screws retain them and you won't know their cracked into until you fire the weapon and it shoots poorly. I don't trust "ring mounts" on any heavy recoiling rifle and I've herd the screws holding Sako Optic Lock ring upper and lower half's are undersized and not heat treated very well and can only be torqued at no more the 15 inch pounds and even at that you risk snapping them. I would go with Conetrol I just used these on my new Sako 85 Stainless Varmint Laminate in 243 Win. I've installed around 8 sets of these now each time gets a little easier. The Control are expensive and a bitch to install but they look great and the scope is welded to the rifle. Another good option for Sako are the Tally ring and bases for Sako. These are very rugged and reliable. Photo of the last install on my new Sako below.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll 2nd the Conetrols as well..........used them on several Sako's, great mounts, just a little tricky to intall until you've done a few.

MM

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Conetrols, Talleys and Optiloks all work.

Sako rings as well.

Sako base mounts need applied with a brass punch and mallet.

Done so, no mount that accomodates that install procedure has any issue.

Ive got Sako rifles from 17 to 375 caliber without issue of scope security.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RGK

Originally Posted by stevevan1
I've tried them all. I have 3 Sako rifles all with Talley mounts.

Bob/Steve, are the attachment bases on the Leupold and Talley rings angles to match the SAKO angles? IOW, are they directional? Maybe even designated one for front, one for rear? Or...?

-Chris

Last edited by Ranger4444; 09/02/20.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Leupold Ringmounts are easy to install and work fine. I have them on a 300 mag and a 338 - no issues. They are different widths so it's easy to see which ring goes on the front and rear dovetail. The Talleys and Optiloks I've tried are too high even with extra low rings for a 40mm objective lens. Mediums would probably be perfect for a 44mm.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Optilock ringmounts are lower in height than the extra low Optilock base and ring combo. Optilock ringmounts can also tighten anywhere along the rail unlike Leupold ringmounts which will only catch toward the widest end of each front and rear section of milled in dovetail on the receiver. This sometimes helps with short tube scopes even if removing the rear mount's recoil pin becomes necessary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (300_savage, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 5sdad, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 13 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 797 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,386
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.