Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
A friend sent me a link to this "gun-breaker" thread.
We spoke about it and I was especially impressed with the "current bid" for this unusual 1990's vintage Remington 700 BDL Varmint Special in caliber 220 Swift.
Anyway with 13 days left on the auction for more bidding, this nifty old Rifle has been bid up to $1,750.00 (one thousand seven hundred and fifty dollars!) and will probably be bid higher?
Wish I would have had the foresight to add one of these to my stash of Remington Varmint Rifles from back in that era!
Rare or not that Rifle is approaching 10 (ten!) times its original selling price from 29 - 30 years ago - I am sure.
To bad Big Green is going tits up.

Link: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/875309256

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

BP-B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
All: Well its getting weird out there - the current bid (if you can believe this?) is $2,781.00 (two thousand seven hundred and eighty one dollars!)!
That is about 13 (thirteen!) times its original selling price!
I am speechless.
AND.... there are still 10 (ten) days to go on this auction!
Where will it end?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
While it is, without a doubt, a quality rifle, it ain't worth that.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Had one, bought it new. Was a very good PD rifle. Sold it. As good as it was, no way I’d pay anything close to that.

NRA Patron
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
JamesJr: Whilst "I" don't trust "gunbreaker" any farther than I could throw them it now appears that the Rifle in question has been bid up to $2,831.00 (two thousand eight hundred and thirty one dollars!) so It appears you are proven wrong in your contention regarding this Rifles "worth"!
It is now "worth" MORE than the $2,781.00 (two thousand seven hundred and eighty one dollars!) of which you poo-poo'ed that number!
I am also shaking my head because there are, as of now, still six days left on this "auction"!
As in most online auctions there is usually a flurry of activity in the last day and last hours of said auctions.
I am just wondering if that "plain Jane" (but rare?) Remington Varmint will hit $3,000.00???
If "I" could only see a bit into the future - what a gun collection I would have.
Come on Big Green - turn it around - you were great once (and for a LONG time!), you can do it again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
All: Seems the Remington 700 BDL Varmint in caliber 220 Swift is NOW up to $2,865.00 (two thousand eight hundred and sixty five dollars!) with still 4 days of bidding to ensue!
I am shakin my head - again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Damn. I have an unfired 40xbks Swift from around that era as well as a 17 Rem both with their original boxes. Maybe it’s time to let them both go. His ad says one just sold for $3800. If he’s to be believed I can recreate them both for half that!

Last edited by Ben_Lurkin; 08/05/20.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
BenLurkin: I did not see that I am going to amble on over to gunbreaker and look that up.
I am simply astounded as to the bids on this plain Jane nifty old Remington Varmint Special.
Thanks for the heads up.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
VG - You just don’t know a “bargain” when you see it! I’ve a late 60’s, IIRC, Varmint Special in 222. It’s a great little shooter. They’re good old guns but I’m shocked people would pay anywhere near that for one; regardless of what caliber it was.

Incidentally, there was a Varmint Special at the local gun store a few weeks back. I didn’t pay much attention to it as we’re on reduced work hrs right now. After seeing your thread last night, I confess that I did stop by this AM to have a look at it. Alas, it was gone. I did score some small pistol and rifle primers tho so all is not lost!

Last edited by Ben_Lurkin; 08/06/20.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Ben Lurkin: Good for you on the primer scores.
Wish the Varmint Special had still been there for your perusal.
I scored on two more Remington 700 BDL Varmint Specials last year. Both were near mint and at bargain basement prices and both in caliber 22-250 Remington.
I mentioned these acquisitions last year on this forum.
By the way I did test both Rifles for accuracy and their accuracy was so good that I changed my mind on both of them for just selling them for a quick $200.00 apiece profit and am going to keep them in my collection til who knows when!
I own, and have owned, a BUNCH of these Remington 700 Varmint Specials in various calibers over the last 50 years or so and they all have shot at least very well for me.
Come on Big Green get back on track.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
JamesJr. You were right (in a way!)!
The Remington 700 BDL Varmint Special in caliber 220 Swift was NOT worth the $2,781.00 (two thousand seven hundred and eighty one dollars!) you originally opined on and poo-poo'ed as being NOT worth that amount!
It WAS worth $3,740.00 (three thousand seven hundred and forty dollars!) to the winning bidder (from 32 bids!)!
So you were off by $1,000.00 (or so after adding in F.F.L. fees, shipping and insurance!)!
I also am still shaking my head, and of course will have to re-assess/adjust my online and hard copy inventory evaluations of my similar Rifles!
I am stunned.
That Rifle just sold for 14.666 times what it sold for back when it was new 29 years ago!
That, my friends, is an EXCEPTIONAL return on ones investment!
Period.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Add to all this the current ammo and reloading supplies shortage, and I have to conclude the Earth we knew is gone and we are headed to another galaxy.

HM

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Halfmile: You could very well be correct!
I am still shaking me head at this sale/transaction?
Rarity is an attribute for items to possess that humans find irresistible - it seems.
Again if only I could see into the future - life would be so much easier and I would be so much richer!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I'm one of those lucky guys who bought one back in 1991 and still have it. I think I paid around $335 for it then. Its like new and I had put maybe 50-70 rounds through it with the Unertal scope on it. Got my 16yr old daughter into shooting with it and she fell in love with the gun. I found out what they're going for and nearly choked! I tried steering her towards a "gun of her own" like a 40X, but no sale. With that, I shrugged my shoulders and figured that I'd never sell it anyhow, so what's the difference. I'll just let her continue to enjoy it as someday she will inherit all the guns. Some things are more important than money.😀 The BDL Varmit guns are beautiful nice quality rifles.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Mkopani: I began buying those Remington 700 BDL Varmints back in the late 1960's. Every one of them, I have ever owned, shot VERY well.
I only wish I had run across one of these in the 220 Swift configuration back then!
I have owned the Remington 700 BDL Varmints in 222 Remington (still have one), 223 Remington, 22-250 Remington (still have two of these), 243 Winchester, 6m/m Remington, 25/06 Remington and 308 Winchester.
That 308 Winchester I had I took to the range one day and a co-worker of mine saw it shooting and the accuracy it produced and would NOT let me rest until I sold it to him. Back then I had my own F.F.L. and I think I made a $75.00 bill on it. Anyway he went on to win the Washington State Silhouette Championship with it!
Indeed looking back on "things" now those earlier Remington 700 BDL Varmints were a great value considering the accuracy they virtually always gave.
I am happy your daughter enjoys your (her?) Rifle!
Come on Big Green - get back on track.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for the reply. I'm 51 and every father could be so happy that his daughter takes up a passion for shooting...

I have to admit that a year ago I bought a new Sendero II 264 WM and I was disappointed with the trigger for what I paid, $1230. My factory VS BDL Swift's trigger is way better. After outfitting the Sendero with a Timney Calvin Elite for another $225, I finally have a rifle but at $1455 and it shoots 5/8" groups @ 100yds. Could not believe how lousy the bedding was, need to fix that yet. Still working to develop a load, but it has me wondering whether the Winchester model 70 extreme weather would have been a better choice. Had it been more impressive, I was considering a mate in 300 RUM.

I decided then that I'm better off buying a used Remington rifles and could get good shooters for less. I picked up a used 40X Rangemaster with factory optional 2oz trigger in 25-06. Beautiful gun with walnut stock, scored it for $ 800. Stainless 27 1/4 Hart factory barrel. First loads of 75gr VMax it grouped under 3/8"@100yds.

Have another 40X in 308 and just shot a 4-shot group 1-hole group @100yds of 0.040" , a new personal best. IMR3031 37.1gr, Sierra Match Kings. Glass bedded but otherwise factory. Simply unbelievable gun. I have a 40X bench gun but why pull it out?

Hope that Remington survives and sees that they need to deliver more value.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Mkopani: Dang that 308 Winchester 40X is "dialed in"!
Dittoes with the 25/06. And that was an excellent buy at that price by the way.
I currently own 7 (seven) Remington 40-X Rifles in various models/calibers.
Including a pair in 22 Remington Bench Rest that just shoot "lights out".
I tried for years to obtain a 40-X in 6mm Remington Bench Rest but was unsuccessful - then I had a chance to "settle" for a factory new 40XBBR-KS in 6x47. I am glad I jumped on this 6x47 as it is just splendidly accurate and very deadly on all manner of Colony Varmints.
I am also disappointed in Remington of late (last 6-8 years) in their pricing and Q.C.
Congratulations by the way on that exceptional grouping with the 308!
Good for you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I will double check tonight but the smallest group I recall shooting with any of my 40X's was a 5 shot group at 100 yards measuring .151" (68 grain Euber bullets - caliber 6x47).
Double checked now and that was it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 77 invisible), 2,724 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,639
Posts18,398,984
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.