Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
HE112 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Saw on another gun forum that replica cap and ball revolvers are hard to get, very hard. I found that difficult to believe as I have owned 6 of them over the years and they seemed available back in the day, sure enough every place I checked said they were out of stock, or unavailable. Dixie Gun works claimed to have them.

In skilled hands they can be effective, though slow to load and you only get 6 shots. And I recall they were heavy as well. Apparently the gun hoarding is now so bad that people are buying up those old timer guns, you could do worse.

Will be interesting to see if any of these stop a riot in progress.

Never thought I would see the day when Pietta and Uberti would be cleaned out so hard for inventory?!

GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have one. I think they were extremely effective when used offensively from horseback. Especially as part of an attacking group.

Used defensively against armed attack. They give something up to modern arms. How much I guess depends on many different things.

They are lethal.
Also very fun. Maybe easier to feed in a drought?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I "never thought I'd see the day" either. A friend of mine has an original '51 Navy that was carried by a forebear of his and I think he said during the War of Northern Aggression. He wanted to get a reproduction to shoot to at least come close to the experience. When he told me there was none out there I was reluctant to believe him. Then, as with HE112, I checked for myself. Son-of-a-gun....there ain't none out there! I didn't check the auction sites. Are they all sold as well or, asking an arm and a leg?

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
H
HE112 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have always liked the Colt 1860 and once had a poorly made replica that I sold, so part of my checking was to maybe get another one of higher quality, but it could be awhile with how things are going. I also remembered the last gun/ammo hoarding and percussion caps were very hard to acquire. The suppliers of actual black powder in the Austin area is very limited, but I used Pyrodex for many years and it worked fine. Had wanted to try some other alternative powders but sold my guns by then as I got tired of the soft steel the Italians used.

Still having a nice 1860 for static display and taking to the range once a year would be fun. Even a third model Colt dragoon has been on my wish list for many years too.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Hmmm??? I know used ones for sale don’t generally hang around too long.

Edit. Last time I was in Fritztown at Texas Jacks ( last winter) they seemed to have a good supply.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 08/23/20.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think at this point there is a shortage of just about everything. Not to mention I've noticed prices have generally gone up 10%-50% across the board as well. Its ridiculous.

I've been looking at picking up a new cast boolit shooter, I've considered everything from a Richard's-Mason conversion to a Uberti Henry, to maybe one of those new Rossi 92s with the 24" octagon barrel in 357. Everything is sold out, or the prices suddently half again what they were 6 months ago.

Powders, primers, bullets, along with tactical/home defense-type guns I get, but everything else, I'm at a loss.

Its ridiculous that the 2nd Amendment is so vulnerable, we have to go through this garbage every year or so, be it due to a shooting or an election.

Pathetic.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I picked up a Traditions 1851 Navy 36 cal. back in June from Bud's Guns. They are showing only an 1851 in 44 available right now.

Last edited by GregK; 08/23/20.

Greg

NRA Life Member, 1990
Life Member, NYSRPA
Life Member, Saugerties Fish and Game Club
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
One possible reason may be that many can become "ghost" centerfires with a conversion cylinder like the Howell. Still slow to load by comparison with "real" revolvers, but still better than c&b. One GB seller has stated that ATF told them that Ruger Old Armys need to be transferred now because it's so easy to make them shoot cartridges. Their words, not mine, so don't start anything.

People are hunkering down, stocking up, and arming themselves.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I can believe it. The nice thing about them is you can buy them over the counter. People are probably getting tired of this horse chidt of waiting a damn week for the background check to clear for a regular firearm.. and yes, they are lethal as hell. Ask the thousands of jackrabbits I slayed with mine. You use them enough and they become like part of your body too. Point and shoot and things go bye bye... I'm down to 1 cap and ball revolver now. It was my grandfather's 36 caliber. Its been so long since I looked at it, I don't even know who its made by... I'l have to dig it out.. My girlfriend would think its a kick in the pants to shoot...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It is my understand that almost all of them are made in Italy, perhaps Covid hammered production.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by HE112
Saw on another gun forum that replica cap and ball revolvers are hard to get, very hard. I found that difficult to believe as I have owned 6 of them over the years and they seemed available back in the day, sure enough every place I checked said they were out of stock, or unavailable. Dixie Gun works claimed to have them.

In skilled hands they can be effective, though slow to load and you only get 6 shots. And I recall they were heavy as well. Apparently the gun hoarding is now so bad that people are buying up those old timer guns, you could do worse.

Never thought I would see the day when Pietta and Uberti would be cleaned out so hard for inventory?!

Two reasons. Firstly, production is way down due to COVID, and secondly, due to an increased perceived need to Have personal weapons in an environment of shortages in firearms desired in that category, folks are looking to cap and ball options, particularly because they can get them shipped directly to their homes without any of the inconvenient laws that apply to cartridge firearms.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pappy348
One possible reason may be that many can become "ghost" centerfires with a conversion cylinder like the Howell. Still slow to load by comparison with "real" revolvers, but still better than c&b. One GB seller has stated that ATF told them that Ruger Old Armys need to be transferred now because it's so easy to make them shoot cartridges. Their words, not mine, so don't start anything.

Fugg the Nazi ATF. They can’t make Fuqking laws are change them.

Not directed at you Pappy. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Hmmm??? I know used ones for sale don’t generally hang around too long.

Edit. Last time I was in Fritztown at Texas Jacks ( last winter) they seemed to have a good supply.

My LGS has several nice used ones right now.

I’d LOVE to have an1860 Colt and a Walker.

The “major” Firearms Wholesaler I worked for for years owned a REAL Walker Colt. He had it laying on his desk side by side with a “faked” replica. Hard to tell the difference. He said there were more fake Walkers than real ones out on the Market.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by HE112

Two reasons. Firstly, production is way down due to COVID, and secondly, due to an increased perceived need to Have personal weapons in an environment of shortages in firearms desired in that category, folks are looking to cap and ball options, particularly because they can get them shipped directly to their homes without any of the inconvenient laws that apply to cartridge firearms.

That would make sense. Also, if I remember correctly, there used to be some obscure law on the books here in TX that a Felon could possess and own a black powder gun for hunting purposes only.
I would bet that Felons purchase black powder guns since there’s no paper work or background check. Sure wouldn’t surprise me.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I’ve had this Signature Series Colt 1860 Army for about 25 years. I shoot it often, along with a very sweet Uberti 1851 Navy .36.

[Linked Image]

I would have no hesitation trusting either of them with my life. They just plain work.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
It is my understand that almost all of them are made in Italy, perhaps Covid hammered production.

All the current revolvers that I’m aware of are produced in Italy.

Have y’all started school yet Mike? I need to make a trip down there and get with you on that Marlin Papoose.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I’ve had this Signature Series Colt 1860 Army for about 25 years. I shoot it often, along with a very sweet Uberti 1851 Navy .36.

[Linked Image]

Sweet!!! That’s the one I want! 🤠

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Fugg the Nazi ATF. They can’t make Fuqking laws are change them.

Not directed at you Pappy. 🤠

I agree, but they have, or anyway exercise, a lot of regulatory "discretion". Look at the flip-flops over Contenders and pistol-ARs. I didn't bother to check their website for any changes because it doesn't matter to me. Be interesting to see if the big retailers follow the new "rule", if it even really exists. Could be that GB seller was making it up; they ARE located in Kalifornica.

What fresh Hell is this?
sun Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Cabela's has been receiving large shipments of C&B revolvers lately.
They don't sell them by mail order anymore, so they need to be picked up in the store.
EMF is owned by Pietta and has also received some guns that don't always show up on the website.
The guns are starting to slowly be coming back after the long shutdowns in Italy due to Covid.
It's a world market and the US is receiving its share of guns.
Some vendors have had guns all along but it's because they're prices were always higher.
Midway had a big Uberti sale a few weeks ago and sold most of their inventory but they may already be restocked.
They were accepting backorders during the sale.

Last edited by sun; 08/27/20.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I am surprised to hear that there is a shortage of these guns. It makes sense though, with the Corona's impact on Italy.
I keep a couple of these loaded in the house for household defense. I have had a Ruger Old Army for a decade, that is a well made pistol. I also keep loaded a Pietta 1858 Sheriff's model. I bought that 3 years ago and that is a well made and reliable pistol.

I have several other guns for household defense, but these cap and ball pistols are proven man killers. I can just imagine the coroner digging through that corpse, and pulling that bullet out, and saying "That is a damn .44 round ball...."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

356 members (1lesfox, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 16penny, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,550
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.