Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

Looking at the Tundra SR5 on Toyota's website.

Several TRD Off-Road (SR5 Grade) packages and a couple of TRD Sport packages.

Nowhere does it explain what the major difference is between the Off-Road and the Sport packages. They both seem to have the same upgraded shocks. Google search doesn't get me anywhere.

Anybody know for sure? When I go to the dealer, I want to already know the answer.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
A couple of my friends both leased tundras lately for super low lease payments. No money down and about $250 a month.

They like them but both complain about getting 12 mpg.

Your best place to find an answer is a Toyota forum.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 08/21/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Call a dealership as Joe Blow before you go.

Like Stadium Toyota in Tampa, FL.

TRD Off Road is above Sport, and one tier down from TRD Pro.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Nowhere does it explain what the major difference is between the Off-Road and the Sport packages. They both seem to have the same upgraded shocks. Google search doesn't get me anywhere.

Anybody know for sure? When I go to the dealer, I want to already know the answer.

Tundra still is missing a rear locker in any package.

Shocking weak link that should be a discount but then again new trucks are not exactly easy to find.

Good Luck.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I believe the Sport is 2 wheel drive but still has upgraded suspension and rear locker. Off-road is 4 wheel drive at least that’s what I recall from when a buddy bought a Tacoma a few years ago.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

The Sport comes with 20” wheels (sucks for off reading) and a few other things

The Off Road comes with 18” wheels, some skid plates, and different shocks

So it’s mostly about the tires - They both come with a front sway bar.

I upgraded by front skid plate to the TRD skid plate, and added the TRD sway bars on the front and back.

W
W
The TRD 4x4 sport package has 20” wheels and shocks tuned for comfort riding on the blacktop the TRD Off Road package will have 18” wheels and has shocks tuned for the trails. Definitely get the SR5 upgrade package no matter what model you choose, that will give you the 38 gallon fuel tank. If the truck has bench seating it will have the 26 gallon fuel tank, bucket seats with console in the center will have the 38 gallon tank. If you’re going to change your own oil ask them to remove the factory installed skid plate and install the TRD Pro skid plate with oil canister access door for you, it’s a lot less hassle and time when it comes time to change the filter. When you go to test drive them don’t forget to activate that Tow/Haul button before your done and it feels like an entirely different vehicle, throttle response is the way it should be all the time.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
A couple of my friends both leased tundras lately for super low lease payments. No money down and about $250 a month.

They like them but both complain about getting 12 mpg.

Your best place to find an answer is a Toyota forum.

Bb

Do you Tundra owners find the mileage to be in the 12 mpg range? That 5.7 is a big engine. I note their web site says 13 to 14 city slightly better on the highway. Most reliable truck out there right now.

My 07 F150 is starting to bite back a little and debating whats next.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
My ‘14 dash board computer says the average is 14.8 So yeah, the mileage isn’t great, but I really like everything else.

To me it’s more comfortable then the Chevy I had, a lot more powerful, and just better built.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a 2008 Double Cab 4x4, 166K trouble free miles, I got 15 MPG, drove mostly highway miles and I drive fast. Traded it in for a leftover 2014 Ford F150 4 door 3.5 EcoBoost, got 15 MPG. Traded that in for a leftover 2018 Ford F-150 4 door 2.7 EcoBoost, I get 18 MPG, I can get 22 MPG if I drive 60 MPH which I never do. Nothing major with the Fords, but little nagging problems, I wanted to buy American. When I'm done with this Ford, I'm going back to the Tundra.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Mine gets about 15.5 overall but that’s mostly highway driving, the gas mileage is definitely not the vehicles best point.

The tundra is due to be redesigned, the current one has been out since 2007 and has only had minor updates since. The new ones should be hitting the dealers in about a year. Rumors are of a big jump in fuel mileage in a complete redesign. My cousin was just shopping for one and there are few on the lot, the dealer told him Toyota has throttled back production getting ready for the new truck. Unless I had to have a new truck right now I’d wait for the new one. I’d never buy the first year model of GM, Ford, or Dodge, but Toyota usually has their stuff together and I wouldn’t be afraid of one from them.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Not a tundra but wife has a 19 Sequoia which is the full size suv with same power train and running gear as the tundra. It avg about 16 mpg but the motor makes a lot at power. Pulling a 5500 pound camper it still avgs 14.9. The power plant has been out for a long time and they have the bugs worked out.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I currently have a 17 TRD Pro that I bought new just over 3 years ago and have 73,000 miles on. I get about 14 mpg average. I drive to work every day and most days hit 90 or above at some point...I have all the driving habits the old ladies shake their fingers at. Mileage sucks but I enjoy life. Prior to this truck I had the previous version, a 13 Rock Warrior. I liked it enough that when it was time to trade I called the dealer I’ve been dealing with since the early 80’s and made a deal over the phone. I have very little patience for things that don’t work right. When I need a new truck it’ll be another Tundra whether they redesign or not.

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Full3r
Not a tundra but wife has a 19 Sequoia which is the full size suv with same power train and running gear as the tundra. It avg about 16 mpg but the motor makes a lot at power. Pulling a 5500 pound camper it still avgs 14.9. The power plant has been out for a long time and they have the bugs worked out.

I almost stopped at the Sequoia because I like a lot of room. Went with the Land Cruiser instead since my last one (still have it) is such a good vehicle. They do like the gas. At 6000lbs. they should. The new one has more bells and whistles than I ever would need, but what the hell. The only option is what kind of floor mats you want. You only live once I hear.

Already have a couple of trucks, but If I was to buy one now, it would be the Tundra for sure.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Gibby

I almost stopped at the Sequoia because I like a lot of room. Went with the Land Cruiser instead since my last one (still have it) is such a good vehicle. They do like the gas. At 6000lbs. they should. The new one has more bells and whistles than I ever would need, but what the hell. The only option is what kind of floor mats you want. You only live once I hear.

Already have a couple of trucks, but If I was to buy one now, it would be the Tundra for sure.

I had a ‘73 Land Cruiser years ago. There’s a vehicle that’s come a long way from it’s roots.

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Gibby

I had a ‘73 Land Cruiser years ago. There’s a vehicle that’s come a long way from it’s roots.

Yea, they are too fancy now. The older ones have more utility to them.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Tundra still is missing a rear locker in any package.

Shocking weak link that should be a discount but then again new trucks are not exactly easy to find.

Good Luck.

John burns: I’m looking at trucks too, no past experience, what is a rear locker?

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
You get that cool hood scoop on the sport package.... that will impress all the teen and preteen boys in the neighborhood....

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by westernMDhunter
The TRD 4x4 sport package has 20” wheels and shocks tuned for comfort riding on the blacktop the TRD Off Road package will have 18” wheels and has shocks tuned for the trails. Definitely get the SR5 upgrade package no matter what model you choose, that will give you the 38 gallon fuel tank. If the truck has bench seating it will have the 26 gallon fuel tank, bucket seats with console in the center will have the 38 gallon tank. If you’re going to change your own oil ask them to remove the factory installed skid plate and install the TRD Pro skid plate with oil canister access door for you, it’s a lot less hassle and time when it comes time to change the filter. When you go to test drive them don’t forget to activate that Tow/Haul button before your done and it feels like an entirely different vehicle, throttle response is the way it should be all the time.

Totally agree. Bought a 2020 Tundra 4x4 SR5 last spring. Mileage around 14.5 avg. Got 16.5 on a long trip to and from Phoenix last month. Love the 38 gallon tank.

Old guy, old guns.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,686
Posts18,456,386
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.