Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

Tanganyika just sounds so much more exotic than does Tanzania; I hear Tanganyika and I see what Africa must be like even though I've never been. They should have stuck with that name.

They got that name because they merged Tanganyika with Zanzibar. Dumb idea because the ethnic races in the two countries were different. The first thing that happened is that the Negroes murdered all the Arabs in Zanzibar.

Just the sort of thing that Ruark tried to warn the world about when he spoke out about the dangers of rapid decolonization.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Pabst
Lol I appreciate this discussion, having just started reading Green Hills a short while ago. I'm only about 20% in but feel myself losing interest due to the long discussions about broken down trucks, why there are no longer any good American writers, but also due to the strange dialog that is sometimes hard to follow. I can't help but feel most of the writing is both pedantic and inconsequential.

I'm not as patient with books as I used to be and am trying to be disciplined enough to finish it but now feel tempted to seek out some Ruark, as I was mostly interested in the actual hunting theme.

I too have started The green hills..... a couple of times, I am guessing I will never finish it. How ever, "For whom the bell tolls" is in a different class altogether, as I have read it several times and enjoy each time.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
[
Originally Posted by hatari

. . . Is it heresy to say that I enjoyed Ruark more?

Sacrilege

Originally Posted by Ploughman
I like "The Green Hills of Africa" more than "A Farewell to Arms", but less than "The Sun Also Rises". Never much cared for any of Hemingway's other novels. Many of his short stories are good, though.

No question that "The Sun Also Rises" is his best work. It made me travel to Pamplona to run with the bulls, and heavily drink at the festival.

Originally Posted by smitty_bs
. . . What is interesting is the amount of animals they actually missed or wounded. Hate to say it but there was some sloppy shooting going on . . .

Or some very heavy drinking around the campfire the night before.

I always recommend "The Sun Also Risesโ€ to family members who think and tell me I drink too much. And validate my comment that I am a rank amateur at the sport.

Tho I have cut back considerably in my consumption. Very much so.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

Tanganyika just sounds so much more exotic than does Tanzania; I hear Tanganyika and I see what Africa must be like even though I've never been. They should have stuck with that name.

They got that name because they merged Tanganyika with Zanzibar. Dumb idea because the ethnic races in the two countries were different. The first thing that happened is that the Negroes murdered all the Arabs in Zanzibar.

Thanks for the explanation. "They" have caused a lot of problems around the world with arbitrary national boundaries.

Originally Posted by Paul39

The title quote to Something of Value is very relevant today. Reputed to be an African proverb.

If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them.

Paul

That quote certainly is apropos to today's culture. Trump should have used it in his speech last night (I'm assuming he didn't, I didn't watch). How ironic that it originated in Africa.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Just being helpful for those interested - the title of that book is Ruark Remembered - By The Man Who Knew Him Best by Alan Richie, who was Ruark's personal secretary.

Another great book about Ruark is A View From A Tall Hill by Terry Wieland.

These are both excellent, excellent books and anyone interested in Ruark should definitely acquire them.

Thanks. I had a copy and read it and passed to a friend and never got it back. Now looking at the prices I'm not likely to buy it again. I'll look for the Wieland book but the prices on amazon are insane so it will be a search. May have to just be on the iPad but that's not near as satisfying.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Sprint11
Jorge, you're not the lone dissenter, and I echo hatari's view of enjoying the character of Hemingway over his writing.

I've found that if a truck breaks down on the way to the hunting grounds, EH would spend 4 chapters describing the hardship, while to Ruark it would be a sidenote. Hemingway uses the situation to define the man, but Ruark uses the man to define the situation.

Excellent post, sir.

Yes, I also like Corbett. Anderson is another "Corbett-like" author that wrote about India.

Corbett's writing (which I enjoy) is almost comical in the sense that he's so dismissive of what would seem to be a major occurrence.

"So anyway, I killed that guy, and then finished the channel to our new harbor. But back to that Gemsbok...."

Corbett must not have had a nervous system. To stand out there next to a tethered goat or striking a stump with an axe to duplicate the natives work, in failing light, in thick jungle growth, to draw in an animal that covers the last twenty yards in under two seconds โ€” I remember a case of the quivers just reading it..and remembering it again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Just being helpful for those interested - the title of that book is Ruark Remembered - By The Man Who Knew Him Best by Alan Richie, who was Ruark's personal secretary.

Another great book about Ruark is A View From A Tall Hill by Terry Wieland.

These are both excellent, excellent books and anyone interested in Ruark should definitely acquire them.

Thanks. I had a copy and read it and passed to a friend and never got it back. Now looking at the prices I'm not likely to buy it again. I'll look for the Wieland book but the prices on amazon are insane so it will be a search. May have to just be on the iPad but that's not near as satisfying.

Borrow/Read my copy at Birdfest!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Sprint11
Jorge, you're not the lone dissenter, and I echo hatari's view of enjoying the character of Hemingway over his writing.

I've found that if a truck breaks down on the way to the hunting grounds, EH would spend 4 chapters describing the hardship, while to Ruark it would be a sidenote. Hemingway uses the situation to define the man, but Ruark uses the man to define the situation.

Excellent post, sir.

Yes, I also like Corbett. Anderson is another "Corbett-like" author that wrote about India.

Corbett's writing (which I enjoy) is almost comical in the sense that he's so dismissive of what would seem to be a major occurrence.

"So anyway, I killed that guy, and then finished the channel to our new harbor. But back to that Gemsbok...."

Corbett must not have had a nervous system. To stand out there next to a tethered goat or striking a stump with an axe to duplicate the natives work, in failing light, in thick jungle growth, to draw in an animal that covers the last twenty yards in under two seconds โ€” I remember a case of the quivers just reading it..and remembering it again.

Interesting side note: When my wife and I lived in Wyoming a couple of decades ago, we had some new friends over and were showing them our house. She was an American of English descent and her husband was a first generation immigrant from India (a physician, as I recall). He was somewhat reserved but pleasant until he walked into my office and saw a Jim Corbett book (I have forgotten which) on my desk. His demeanor immediately changed. He broke into a huge grin and asked excitedly, "You know of Jim Corbett?!". "Yes, what a life, huh?", I replied. He was effusive in his praise, "Oh he was a great, great man!". He went on at length about all of the good that Corbett had done for his native land and people. Talk about an ice breaker! I was, in his eyes, a good friend because I appreciated Jim Corbett.

RS

Last edited by RipSnort; 08/30/20.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
[
Originally Posted by hatari

. . . Is it heresy to say that I enjoyed Ruark more?

Sacrilege

Originally Posted by Ploughman
I like "The Green Hills of Africa" more than "A Farewell to Arms", but less than "The Sun Also Rises". Never much cared for any of Hemingway's other novels. Many of his short stories are good, though.

No question that "The Sun Also Rises" is his best work. It made me travel to Pamplona to run with the bulls, and heavily drink at the festival.

. . . What is interesting is the amount of animals they actually missed or wounded. Hate to say it but there was some sloppy shooting going on . . .

Or some very heavy drinking around the campfire the night before.

Last edited by smitty_bs; 08/30/20.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Had trouble quoting and editing. Anyway, when he was sitting in a blind waiting for a Kudu (I believe) he was nursing a drink. Also, there were several lunches where the partook in "beverages" and certainly in the evenings after the day of hunting. No doubt the reason for some of the sloppy shooting.....but it was a different time.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think Hemingway was probably the best short story writer ever. "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber" is an excellent example. I have read most of his novels but actually don't care for them that much.

I am surprised the old joke hasn't come up yet-

When asked why the chicken crossed the road, Ernest Hemingway replied "to die, alone, in the rain".

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 3040Krag
I think Hemingway was probably the best short story writer ever. "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber" is an excellent example. I have read most of his novels but actually don't care for them that much.

I am surprised the old joke hasn't come up yet-

When asked why the chicken crossed the road, Ernest Hemingway replied "to die, alone, in the rain".

Perhaps The Old Man And The Sea. It reads like a short story. Every time I finish it I sit shaking my head, stunned that a person could do that with words on paper.

Disclaimer -- I also love Ruark.

Regarding Corbett -- Does anyone remember his passage in Maneaters of Kumaon (of maybe it was The Temple Tiger) where he explained how he used wind direction to predict from where an attack would come, and thus stalked 'safely' through dense forest in the proximity of man-eaters? Corbett knew that tigers believed humans could scent like deer, thus would always plan a stalk from downwind, and behind. If anyone ever proved his beliefs with action, he did. I usually overnight alone in the bed of my 2000 Tacoma, and reading his work by flashlight is just a wonderful way to end a hunting day. That his books can be had for a couple dollars on Alibris is another of the stunning blessings of the modern world.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
As you would all know, he often spoke of cocktails throughout his writings. In "The Greenhills of Africa" he drank daily including while he was sitting in a blind hunting. But one of my favorite books is "To Have and Have Another; A Hemingway Cocktail Companion" by Philip Green. This is a 360 page book where the author delves into different cocktails that were highlighted throughout the chapters of Hemingway's classics. He includes the recipes so you can taste them when reading the particular book or chapter they are referenced in. It's a wonderful book (I have no dog in this hunt) and full of pictures of Hemingway as well. One of my favorite pics is one where Ernest is sitting at a table in Pamplona in 1926. He is seated with his then wife, Hadley, and also at the table is Pauline Pfeiffer, with whom he was having an affair - and who eventually accompanied him in Africa.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
As you would all know, he often spoke of cocktails throughout his writings. In "The Greenhills of Africa" he drank daily including while he was sitting in a blind hunting. But one of my favorite books is "To Have and Have Another; A Hemingway Cocktail Companion" by Philip Green. This is a 360 page book where the author delves into different cocktails that were highlighted throughout the chapters of Hemingway's classics. He includes the recipes so you can taste them when reading the particular book or chapter they are referenced in. It's a wonderful book (I have no dog in this hunt) and full of pictures of Hemingway as well. One of my favorite pics is one where Ernest is sitting at a table in Pamplona in 1926. He is seated with his then wife, Hadley, and also at the table is Pauline Pfeiffer, with whom he was having an affair - and who eventually accompanied him in Africa.

Iโ€™m gonna look for that one.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
I
I
Fun discussion! I've read all the books here, like them all for different reasons.

What about The Snows of Kilimanjaro and other short stories?

Also a fun read.

Oh, for those of you who like Corbett, the fiction book John McNab, by John Buchan, is pretty good fun. If it doesn't make you want to go stalk red deer in Scotland (which I have now been lucky enough to do many many times), nothing will!

The hunter does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, he kills in order to have hunted. --- Jose Ortega y Gasset, in "Meditations on Hunting", 1942.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks for that tip - I'd not seen it and it may have something in it to keep Hatari from tempting us with another pitcher of French 75 cocktails next time we're together. The 20 gauge was a bit too much the next day.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
R
R
A very good book and very interesting to read. Have read it about 7 times in 5 years, call me crazy if you like.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
This is extremely hard to watch. And very, very sad. But for those who havenโ€™t seen it, I will still post it.

Founder

WS

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ten seconds of that was too much.

RS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Ten seconds of that was too much.

RS

๐Ÿ˜ž

Founder

WS

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, 13 invisible), 1,579 guests, and 700 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.