Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hatari
I've read it more than once. It's a great book. I'm a fan of Hemingway the character more than Hemingway the writer.

Hemingway spends a considerable amount of the book interjecting two of his favorite themes - competition and jealously. His competition with "Karl" (who was his Key West buddy Charles Thompson) I'm sure was real. His dressing down for his petty jealously by Phillip Percival was equally as real.

All this really does give the reader a sense of what it would have been like to go on safari with EH. You would have lectures on novelists, drinks in the evening, you would have been subjected to Eh's competitiveness, which would have been on everything from the quality of trophies, to backgammon to flirting with the girls on the ship cruising to and from NY. That was Hemingway. Charles Thompson was exposed to Hemingway's fits of moodiness when his trophies weren't the tops in camp, and I'm sure that soured more than a couple of evenings around the fire.

I wish Hemingway spent more time talking about Percival, considered the "dean" of the East African PH's, as well as more time telling the reader which part of Tanzania (Tanganyika in those days) he was in. I wish he had written it as Hemingway the newspaperman rather than Hemingway the novelist, but I still love the book, but...

Is it heresy to say that I enjoyed Ruark more?

I agree,

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smitty_bs
Green Hills is a great book, but one of my favorite parts is actually Appendix I written by Pauline. She chronicles the kills as well as the food and drink. What is interesting is the amount of animals they actually missed or wounded. Hate to say it but there was some sloppy shooting going on. Nevertheless, great book. But if you haven't read the appendices, give them a look.

IMHO Pauline's writing adds a huge amount to the book, and yes their was some sloppy shooting going on.

Location Western NC,
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That is rough to watch

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by PPosey
Green Hills is a great book, but one of my favorite parts is actually Appendix I written by Pauline. She chronicles the kills as well as the food and drink. What is interesting is the amount of animals they actually missed or wounded. Hate to say it but there was some sloppy shooting going on. Nevertheless, great book. But if you haven't read the appendices, give them a look.

IMHO Pauline's writing adds a huge amount to the book, and yes their was some sloppy shooting going on.

Have you read Theodore Roosevelt's AFRICAN GAME TRAILS?

A friend of mine once called it, "Bully, bully! Let;s go wounding!"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs
As you would all know, he often spoke of cocktails throughout his writings. In "The Greenhills of Africa" he drank daily including while he was sitting in a blind hunting. But one of my favorite books is "To Have and Have Another; A Hemingway Cocktail Companion" by Philip Green. This is a 360 page book where the author delves into different cocktails that were highlighted throughout the chapters of Hemingway's classics. He includes the recipes so you can taste them when reading the particular book or chapter they are referenced in. It's a wonderful book (I have no dog in this hunt) and full of pictures of Hemingway as well. One of my favorite pics is one where Ernest is sitting at a table in Pamplona in 1926. He is seated with his then wife, Hadley, and also at the table is Pauline Pfeiffer, with whom he was having an affair - and who eventually accompanied him in Africa.

Thanks for that tip - I'd not seen it and it may have something in it to keep Hatari from tempting us with another pitcher of French 75 cocktails next time we're together. The 20 gauge was a bit too much the next day.

Damn, but they went down smooth and easy🍸🍸🍸

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by PPosey

Have you read Theodore Roosevelt's AFRICAN GAME TRAILS?

A friend of mine once called it, "Bully, bully! Let;s go wounding!"

Probably accurate. TR’s poor eyesight and lack of modern optics along with the volume of game on his list for the museum all contributed to some list game.

TR’s Edwardian style of writing made AGT slow sledding for me.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, T.R. had bad eyesight, but it wasn't unusual for other hunters of the era to attempt shots they "estimated" at 500 or more yards with iron sights. Another example is ALASKAN-YUKON WON AND LOST by G.O. Young. Another example would be StewArt Edward White, at the time acclaimed as a great shot He added up the numbers from his first safari in his book on his first safari, and the hits, misses and woundings would not be considered acceptable by most 21st-century hunters.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John,
African Game Trails — 3 months, and I don’t remember how many bearers, skinners, and trackers, plus supplies — $80,000 at the time.

You might be able to drop that on a ten or fourteen day, top rate lion or bull elephant hunt today.

Hatari, I agree. Reading it was a little like attempting a destination in timely fashion while wading through waist-deep water.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 09/05/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes I really enjoyed African Game Trails but is was a read best done in small pieces for me.

Location Western NC,
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
PPosey,

Yeah it's long--but so was the safari.

One interesting side-note is that T.R. probably made more money in his lifetime from writing books and articles than any other single source.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
After reading this thread, I got out my old book. Previously I had stopped reading it due to a the diversions from hunting. This time I will finish.

It's interesting how common rhinos were. Now they're mostly extinct.

Also, my paperback copy does not have the appendix with shot results.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[/quote]
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
This is extremely hard to watch. And very, very sad. But for those who haven’t seen it, I will still post it.

Kaywood, I have never heard EH speak before. He has the cadence of a heavily medicated man, or was this normal for him? Seemed to have a lack of focus or interrupted thoughts. I know he was clinically depressed before his suicide. Is this not too far from that event?

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
He mentioned recovering from his air crashes at the beginning of the video. He had two successive plane crashes in Africa, which I believe hurt him badly. A guess, but maybe he was still on medications to treat the injuries when the video was filmed?. Also, in later years, I've read heavy use of electroshock therapy made it difficult for him to write. Those around him thought he was delusional for believing that he was under FBI surveillance for his communist activities. After his death, he was proven correct about the FBI surveillance.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Just finished the book. The sable hunting at the end is the best part.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The more I've read it, the sable/kudu hunt at the end stands as among the best big game stories ever.

But Hemingway was 34 when he went on that safari. He beat/worked himself to death in the next 27 years, due to being compulsively competitive (not just in writing but everything he did), and because he became an alcoholic, in the end drinking a bottle of wine at breakfast just to get himself going. But when he was on, he was great. When he wasn't....

John Steinbeck
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

This is extremely hard to watch. And very, very sad. But for those who haven’t seen it, I will still post it.

Kaywood, I have never heard EH speak before. He has the cadence of a heavily medicated man, or was this normal for him? Seemed to have a lack of focus or interrupted thoughts. I know he was clinically depressed before his suicide. Is this not too far from that event?
[/quote]

I believe it was the brain trauma. I read thru all the comments on this video. Apparently one contributor who apparently was familiar with things stated there were prepared statements to the questions posted on boards behind interviewer, and on the floor/table, for him to read from. Like modern day teleprompter.

Also his use of “period" and such at end of sentences was another sign. This was also explained as he was afraid of the media chainging his comments. I personally think that an excuse. As many of us are aware, brain trauma can be hell.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I believe it was the brain trauma. I read thru all the comments on this video. Apparently one contributor who apparently was familiar with things stated there were prepared statements to the questions posted on boards behind interviewer, and on the floor/table, for him to read from. Like modern day teleprompter.

Also his use of “period" and such at end of sentences was another sign. This was also explained as he was afraid of the media chainging his comments. I personally think that an excuse. As many of us are aware, brain trauma can be hell. [/quote]

I don’t think this video is what people are making it out to be. I’ve seen this video many, many times over the years. Hemingway hated talking about his life and work, and made it a point of not doing it. To one lady he said it made him physically ill. When it became unavoidable he made it obvious by going by a script (that was probably agreed on by the network), and by stating the punctuation was signaling the utter BS And proscriptive nature of it all. The one moment when the reporter gets flustered, Hemingway, under his breath, encourages the guy to keep going, probably because he knew it was almost over. Both the reporter and Hemingway knew this was an interview Hem did not want to do, and they Just bashed through it.

Hemingway did have a halting way of speaking. This interview is just after the Nobel prize, so 1954. He didn’t die until 1961.

Listen to his Nobel speech and you’ll hear what he normally sounded like.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Just being helpful for those interested - the title of that book is Ruark Remembered - By The Man Who Knew Him Best by Alan Richie, who was Ruark's personal secretary.

Another great book about Ruark is A View From A Tall Hill by Terry Wieland.

These are both excellent, excellent books and anyone interested in Ruark should definitely acquire them.

Thanks. I had a copy and read it and passed to a friend and never got it back. Now looking at the prices I'm not likely to buy it again. I'll look for the Wieland book but the prices on amazon are insane so it will be a search. May have to just be on the iPad but that's not near as satisfying.

Terry has (or is shortly) releasing a second printing of his ruark book and it should be easier to get a hold of.

I’ve spent 60-80 hours reading Ruarks personal papers. It’s good stuff.

I
I
Be careful what you write as you can perpetuate myths. Rhino are not nearly extinct, only selected species. The White Rhino have well over 15,000 population and is listed as "near threatened".

Not nearly extinct.

The hunter does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, he kills in order to have hunted. --- Jose Ortega y Gasset, in "Meditations on Hunting", 1942.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by baxterb
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Just being helpful for those interested - the title of that book is Ruark Remembered - By The Man Who Knew Him Best by Alan Richie, who was Ruark's personal secretary.

Another great book about Ruark is A View From A Tall Hill by Terry Wieland.

These are both excellent, excellent books and anyone interested in Ruark should definitely acquire them.

Thanks. I had a copy and read it and passed to a friend and never got it back. Now looking at the prices I'm not likely to buy it again. I'll look for the Wieland book but the prices on amazon are insane so it will be a search. May have to just be on the iPad but that's not near as satisfying.

Terry has (or is shortly) releasing a second printing of his ruark book and it should be easier to get a hold of.

I’ve spent 60-80 hours reading Ruarks personal papers. It’s good stuff.

Thanks for the tip! It looks like at least a paperback is publishing next month. Paperback view from a tall hill

Last edited by Pugs; 09/14/20. Reason: add link

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 67 invisible), 2,889 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,706
Posts18,456,843
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.