Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I was replacing three outlets in a room from ivory to white. Two outlets were done successfully.

When I took the face plate off the third outlet I saw that the ground wasn't hooked up. So when I replaced the outlet I went ahead and hooked the ground to the green screw. When I turned the power back on the fuse blew. I replaced the fuse and when I get to the last turn of screwing it in it flashes light and pops and blows.

So before I put in another fuse I removed the ground wire from the outlet since that was the only thing that changed and no blown fuse and everything works fine but I have no ground on that outlet.

After this with the power on I was going to push the outlet back in the metal box and when the screw touched the metal box it sparked but didn't blow the fuse so it is just hanging out of the box right now.

Any thoughts on the cause and fix. It is in a metal box. Two wires with two blacks on left side screws and two whites hooked to right side screws. How do I fix this so it has a proper ground?

Thanks in advance for all the help -tnscouter

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The ground is not on just the ground

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds almost like you've got a defective outlet there. I'd try another one and see what happens.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
BobBrown would you expound on this please. Thanks -tnscouter

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Check for a ground fault —positive feeding through the ground. Do you have a mulitmeter? Is there continuity between the ground (bare) and the hot (black)?

Check the wire insulation for a cut, particularly where the romex's outer sheath was cut back. Is the insulation on the individual conductors compromised?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Any chance the wires or a wire is knicked,possibly connection on wires to tight and grounding

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Your hot is touching either the box or the ground when you push it into the box. Electrical tape around the receptacle should help. Also make sure the wire insulation isn't damaged or stripped too long.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Disconnect the outlet before testing.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Sounds almost like you've got a defective outlet there. I'd try another one and see what happens.

I plan on trying that but there must be a reason it wasn't hooked up originally. Thanks -tnscouter

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It should have been hooked up originally.

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rovert
Your hot is touching either the box or the ground when you push it into the box. Electrical tape around the receptacle should help. Also make sure the wire insulation isn't damaged or stripped too long.

I've checked and nothing touching in the box. Also I have electrical tape wrapped around the outlet. I always do that because I think it helps and it let's me know that I worked on it .

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by kingston
It should have been hooked up originally.

That's my thought. So I think the problem has always been there and I just found it. Thanks -tnscouter

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
the previous owner is telling you something. you need a multimeter.

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
We need an electrical section here

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Good advice here but it could be anywhere between the outlet and the breaker panel (nail or screw through a wire for example)

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Again, you need to carefully inspect the insulation of the individual conductors. Pay particular attention to where they enter the box.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Good advice here but it could be anywhere between the outlet and the breaker panel (nail or screw through a wire for example)

Unfortunately you are correct but I'm hoping it is something closer to the box. Thanks for your comments. -tnscouter

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobBrown

I assumed the other outlets replaced by TN were on the same circuit as this last one. If they are then the issue is most likely in last box and appeared when he disturbed the orientation of the wiring as it laid in the box.

If this is a separate circuit, and a home run, you're right, it could be anywhere in the run.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If the electric box is metal and you have a screw in clamp, the cable is probably pinched too tight. If you have a voltage detector, stick one probe in the long left side slot of receptacle and the other probe in the round ground probe with the receptacle screwed to the box. If you detect 120 volts, the box is of hot or ungrounded potential. Not good. Remove fuse, loosen clamp inside box and try to pull more cable into box, if not possible, cut plastic from a milk carton or some other insulator and wrap around cable under clamp. leave clamp loose and hook ground back up. Do the check with a good receptacle first so you will know what voltage readings you are looking for. When you screw the ground to the receptacle and screw receptacle to the box, you are creating a short circuit from ground wire to the energized box because of the shorted hot or ungrounded potential resulting from the nicked wire under the clamp.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
TN,
Is this outlet on the same circuit as the others you replaced, or is it a separate circuit. If it's a separate circuit, is it the only outlet/device/fixture on that circuit?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 18 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.