24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Our '18 Highlander has a system that uses bluetooth to connect to your cell phone so you can make and receive calls hands free. Idaho has a new hands free law so I hooked up the phone to the car to see how it works. It works fine. It was easy to connect and very easy to use while driving. A single button push answers the phone and if you get a text, it reads it to you.
The problem is getting UNHOOKED from it. It grabs my phone and won't let go. All calls when I'm not in the car go to the car, not my phone. I haven't found an easy way to walk away from the car and get my phone back. I found the bluetooth connections in the phone settings and disabled it for now but if I have to do that every time I leave the car, I won't be using that system much.
I haven't had time yet to dig through the manual to see if there's an easier and faster way.

BTW, I don't have a girl friend who might call when I'm driving with my wife in the car, but I can see that this system would have drawbacks for someone who does.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does the car’s Bluetooth system grab the phone when it’s off? Most systems don’t, so it’s a matter of turning off the radio when you get out.

Alternatively, when answering the call, you should be able to select if you want the audio to be on the phone, speaker, or which Bluetooth connection.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This what Dutch says, I have a 2015 tacoma and when you turn the ignition off the phone disconnects,

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have it all figured out yet but it appears that I have to disable bluetooth on the phone to get it back. The phone is trying to send it to the car. If that's all it is, it's easy to live with. My wife needs to take the car to Salt Lake tomorrow and she wants to be able to use her phone. I can't let her do that until I'm sure she still has the use of the phone when not in the car.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a problem with the phone, and not the car? What type of phone?

We have a 2017 Tundra and 2018 Highlander. When the ignition is in the off position, my phone is disconnected as there is nothing to connect to. The cars don't show up as available devices, when I look for Bluetooth connections, until the dash display is on.

Last edited by 4th_point; 08/24/20.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I do think the phone's the problem. It's supposed to automatically switch the bluetooth off and on as needed but it seems to freeze up and I end up rebooting the phone. No more than I'll use it, I'm not going to spend much time messing with it. I might just get a bluetooth earpiece as I could use it in my pickup. I drive it more than the car anyway.

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
We don't have that problem with our '19 Highlander, I agree it seems like a phone issue. The only time my phone (or my wife's phone) connects to the bluetooth is when the car is on. When you turn it on our phones connect automatically and when we shut it off they automatically disconnect.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
My wife and I both have Motorola phones. She left for Salt Lake a couple hours ago. After driving off, she called back and said someone had called her and the car's system had come on to take the call. I'd started connecting her phone but hadn't finished until I solved the problems with mine. Apparently the car finished for me. We'll see whether she can use her phone outside the car when she gets there.

My phone is supposed to have a hands free system called Moto Voice. I've been all over the phone and Google Play and can't find the app. The manual says it's preinstalled but I can't find it. I'm starting to wonder about Motorola's software.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I hope you get it figured out. Everyone tells me that the voice quality is really good over the microphone in the Tundra and Highlander, when I ask them.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

'14 Tacoma.........

no problems when I leave the truck........

can not read texts while driving............

XM music only $5/month

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My wife and I both have Motorola phones. She left for Salt Lake a couple hours ago. After driving off, she called back and said someone had called her and the car's system had come on to take the call. I'd started connecting her phone but hadn't finished until I solved the problems with mine. Apparently the car finished for me. We'll see whether she can use her phone outside the car when she gets there.

My phone is supposed to have a hands free system called Moto Voice. I've been all over the phone and Google Play and can't find the app. The manual says it's preinstalled but I can't find it. I'm starting to wonder about Motorola's software.
My wife arrived there, left the car, and her phone is working fine. Apparently something's screwy with mine. I can't do anything until she gets home with the car on Friday.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by TOPCATHR
I have a 2015 tacoma and when you turn the ignition off the phone disconnects,

Same with my 2016 tundra & 2018 Camry. Shut off the vehicle, everything disconnects & the phone is back to normal.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
698 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,032 guests, and 1,424 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.