-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We all hear about the endangered sage grouse but Idaho still has a hunting season, with a limit of 1. I really think the only reason they do it is to convince the feds that we have enough so they they don't get on the endangered list. Getting listed has lots of dire consequences for hunting, ranching, oil, and many other things.

SAGE GROUSE SEASONS

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Ill be heading down with the dog.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Go get some

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I never hunted them but often ran into birds while deer hunting. Hardly worth the trouble though it’s a nice time to be in the hills

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by lochsa
I never hunted them but often ran into birds while deer hunting. Hardly worth the trouble though it’s a nice time to be in the hills
A s an upland hunter its not the birds but the experience with your dog and discovering new gorgeous country with your dog, the perfect point and meeting new folks.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I really think the only reason they do it is to convince the feds that we have enough so they they don't get on the endangered list. Getting listed has lots of dire consequences for hunting, ranching, oil, and many other things.

That's at least part of it, but it's not to convince the feds....if anything the feds are convincing the states to continue to have a season.
USFWS upper management wants nothing to do with listing that bird for various reasons, both legit and political.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
How do they eat? Tasty?

Would love to join a hunt.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I really think the only reason they do it is to convince the feds that we have enough so they they don't get on the endangered list. Getting listed has lots of dire consequences for hunting, ranching, oil, and many other things.

That's at least part of it, but it's not to convince the feds....if anything the feds are convincing the states to continue to have a season.
USFWS upper management wants nothing to do with listing that bird for various reasons, both legit and political.

I’d be interested to hear those reasons. If you’d be willing to expound in that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Used to be, sage grouse was one of those traditions that pulled in a lot of occasional, casual hunters that would cause quite a few families to go up and do a camp / hunt and thus create quite a bit of extra license sales.

Since the new trespass law was passed, I haven’t bothered. Not worth getting written up for a bird.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DMc
How do they eat? Tasty?

They smell pretty strong when you gut one but I never had the smell pass on to the meat. They taste pretty good.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DMc
How do they eat? Tasty?

Honestly they are not very good. You about need to take them to a Chinese restaurant and have them hide the taste. I have not shot one for years. We used to hunt them and have a good time but its kind of like killing a Pheasant around here - you almost feel like you killed the last one.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by DMc
How do they eat? Tasty?

Uuhhhh.....no.

They are dumb as schit too.

Used to kill em with a stick out here.

Nice thing about that is you can eat the stick afterwards.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
If you would let folks blast some hawks and seagulls in the spring..........you would be covered up in sage grouse.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They're well worth the effort it takes to hunt them. We always bbq'd their breasts and ate them as an appetizer. Making a meal of them wouldn't be my first choice. FUN hunts and wish we had a season for them again in this state.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If properly prepared they are good to eat.

DO NOT OVER COOK!!!

Lots of onions and garlic small cubes of sage chicken breast and alfredo sauce served over egg noodles al dente.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I miss hunting sage hens. Once they lowered the limit from three birds i decided to give them a break.

They sure are exciting to see them flush and go thundering off. Lots of good memories hunting the Medicine Lodge area!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
One time years ago I was hunting them with my BIL. At the time, the limit was 2. We jumped one and he winged it but not enough go bring it down. It had it's wings set as it disappeared over the side of the ridge. Another 100 yds and we walked into a covey of young ones and limited out. 1/2 mile later as we hiked down off the ridge, darned if we didn't step on the wounded one, quite dead. What are the odds of that in 500 square miles of sagebrush hills. We took a chance and took it home. That was kind of dumb but we knew there weren't any check stations on the way. We just didn't want to let it go to waste.

― George Orwell

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by lochsa
A s an upland hunter its not the birds but the experience with your dog and discovering new gorgeous country with your dog, the perfect point and meeting new folks.

Yep, bird hunting is mostly for the dog.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
With current low bird numbers, hunting without a dog would be like training for a marathon - lots of miles between birds.

― George Orwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (2UP, 44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 15 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.