Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I decided to prepare for helping out if/when chitt hits the fan. I only have about 100 rounds loaded for the .30-30s and OTOH, about 200 empty pieces of brass. Plus, I'm about 65% bored out of my skull. And it's not raining. And my powder/primers need a purpose in this life.

I have a lot of reservations about what's in store in the aftermath of 3 November, regardless of who wins. So, in keeping with the Scout's motto....

Say hello to my new batch of Lyman 311041 style lead. They run about 10-11 on the BHN scale and I've launched them at velocities over 2,100 fps in the past with no leading and more than acceptable accuracy with a levermatic.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

50 yards during early exploration of loads. They have done much better but I don't have a pic handy. -sniff-

And the Sneezer simply loves the dang things, sans gas checks. Go figure....

Sizing, lubing and gas checks are next on the agenda.

Splat.............

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Semper plumbum !

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

I have a lot of reservations about what's in store in the aftermath of 3 November, regardless of who wins. So, in keeping with the Scout's motto....

Say hello to my new batch of Lyman 311041 style lead. They run about 10-11 on the BHN scale and I've launched them at velocities over 2,100 fps in the past with no leading and more than acceptable accuracy with a levermatic.

Sizing, lubing and gas checks are next on the agenda.

DD, Good Morning Sir! I always enjoy your posts immensely!
I have the same feelings about the day after the Elections. Should the DemoRat’s Win, they’ll burn and loot just to celebrate like they do after an NBA Championship.

And when Trump wins, like I believe he will, they’ll riot, burn and loot to no ends. Makes me glad and thankful I live in the TX boonies where it’s mostly rural and not many restless “natives”

Anyhow, your cast bullet photos cause me to have nightmares! After College, and without a real job for a while, I helped out my best friend who was starting up a Cast Bullet Company.
For the first year, we cast EVERY DAMN BULLET BY HAND! 🤠
He finally bought a couple of automatic Castmaster machines that all you had to do was prep the molds and feed them massive amounts of lead. We were as they say, in high cotton then!

Casting, Sizing, and Lubing by hand in the TX heat in an Un-air conditioned barn on a massive scale is a nightmare I don’t care to recall. 🤠
You sir, have my admiration!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I cast in open air but under a roof. Rest of it goes down in the comfort of A/C. I’m not that disturbed! 👅

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You lubing them or coating them.

I quit using labs and went with Hi-Tek and never looked back

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Lube. I’d like to try some Pelosi wax with Schumer oil.

I am..........disturbed.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Those would smell really bad.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lube. I’d like to try some Pelosi wax with Schumer oil.

LOL

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Those would smell really bad.

No doubt. Be worse than skunk oil. 🤮

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I cast in open air but under a roof. Rest of it goes down in the comfort of A/C. I’m not that disturbed! 👅

LOL. Glad to hear your not “sweating it” 🤠

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nice job on the casting and the shooting too!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You sure do cast some pretty bullets. Would you mind giving a run down on your setup - which pot, brand of mold, ladle or bottom pour, alloy, casting, temperature, et cetera and so forth?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Jim, it’s pretty basic. Wagge 20# pot, ladle, thermometer and a few odds and ends. Most of my moulds are Lyman but there be a few by Mos, Brooks, Ideal and a couple others. I mix my own alloys with lead, tin, wheel weights and on occasion with linotype.

The Lyman 311041 has been around for a long time and for good reason. Mine is a two cavity mould, a feature I rather like. The bullets above were cast with a mix of equal parts of lead, wheel weights (8.5#), 35 oz lino and 8 oz tin.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I will add that regardless of alloy, the single most important facet of the endeavor is the melt temp for any given alloy. For example:

Pure lead- 800*
30:1 -775*
Alloy for the bullets above : 650*
Lyman #2: 625*

I am..........disturbed.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
DD is doing the right thing. Coming to a neighbourhood near you: https://www.zerohedge.com/political...marching-through-rural-pennsylvania-town

I know this town, you could not find a nicer place to live. But they will be a focus on these azzholes and media now.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Two more steps to take, lube and load.

I am..........disturbed.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Looks like minute of terroist to me out to about 300 yards or so. Good job. Ed k

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Your thread got me motivated.

Yesterday I cast and coated just under 1500 200 gr, .451 Semi wad cutters and about 500 180 gr 40/10mm HP.

Today is loading day

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Geesh, got any lead left? laugh

I am..........disturbed.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
My Lyman Lubersizer seats gas checks, sizes, and lubes all at once. I make my own lube several pounds at a time from toilet bowl wax sealing rings, parrafin, and automotive chassis grease, mixed in a double boiler. Just pour the melted lube into the hole where the hollow lube sticks would usually go. The lube is good for velocities up to 2K FPS or a little more with no barrel leading with cast bullets dropped from the mold into ice water.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,645
Posts18,455,396
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.