-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Who uses a PID controller, and if so what brand do you use and where did you get it? Anything else you want to add would be welcome.

Got a Lee Magnum 20 pound pot, no bottom pour. I spent some time with a lead thermometer determining what stable temp various settings give but that was with a full pot. Was thinking of trying a PID to maintain a more stable temp.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Who uses a PID controller, and if so what brand do you use and where did you get it? Anything else you want to add would be welcome.

Got a Lee Magnum 20 pound pot, no bottom pour. I spent some time with a lead thermometer determining what stable temp various settings give but that was with a full pot. Was thinking of trying a PID to maintain a more stable temp.

There is a good tutorial on building your own on youtube, out of parts from amazon. With the right parts, it doesn't look that complicated to put together, or very expensive.

I dont cast, but have thought about building one to do salt bath annealing.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I use a PID controller on my Lee Magnum pot I use to dipper cast heavy black powder paper patch bullets. It improved my cast weight consistancy. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've started using one to cast schuetzen plain base bullets and I am very particular about them. Keeps temp consistent and out of a casting session, I have a great deal less unacceptable bullets. I got mine from this guy http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?348755-Hatch-s-PID-FAQ

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by TenX
I've started using one to cast schuetzen plain base bullets and I am very particular about them. Keeps temp consistent and out of a casting session, I have a great deal less unacceptable bullets. I got mine from this guy http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?348755-Hatch-s-PID-FAQ

I also use the “Hatch” PID from the link you provided. Watched the vids and started to build my own. Once I added up the time and material cost, buying one from him made more sense.

It works well on my RCBS II and LEE. I’ve also used it for the toaster oven when powder coating.

Really like the consistent temp, ease of use and compact size of the device.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 51 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,329
Posts18,468,550
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.