Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The OP requested a low velocity load. The Swift 350 and 55 grains of 3031 is NOT low velocity. It will also kick the crap out of who ever shoots it.

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Easy peasy. 405 grain Woodleigh. 1) They are bonded so cling together 2) The lead and copper are brittle enough to lose some weight thus NOT maintaining a huge mushroom that limits penetration. This gives them a great combination of expansion, wound channel and penetration. At the velocities we are talking about the 350 grain Hornady flatnose with interlock is also a winner. The old 300 Nosler Partition which has been discontinued was truly amazing but now long gone. I made a video on this topic 4 years ago if you are interested. I have also testted the 400 Speer and it is really soft and the enormous expansion reduced penetration. I have also tested 440 grain Hard Cast bullets with a wide meplat and while they penetrate through a huge amount of tissue the wound channel is quite a bit less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5nd2uuhaMA

Last edited by North61; 08/30/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good points along with research , North.
I have used the 350 Hornady for years , along with a supply of Hawk 400 gr FP and Kodiak 400 FPs.
They perform in my pre-war Model 71 450 Alaskan.
The Kodiaks like the Woodleighs are bonded core.

However, for reduced velocity-the Hawk 350-400 perform
very well indeed. They were designed to perform
well below max velocity in older rifles like the 1876-1886 Winchesters.
The Hawk performance at 1500 FPS with a 350-400 458-FP is amazing.

The 1895 Marlin is not my first choice LA rifle, but my 22 in version
with no extra safeties is a tough rifle-and not for sale. It will do the job
almost as well as the original smokeless 45-70 - 1886 -or 450 Alaskan Model 71.

Last edited by 450Fuller; 08/30/20.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by WMR
Timely thread. I just picked up a box of Swift factory 45-70 ammo with the 350 A Frame. I hope I never find out how well they work for brown bear defense. They are for use in a shared rifle, with some of the users not up for the recoil of the hottest loads. I see Buffalo Bore loads a 430 hard cast at 1550 and considered that one as well. I'll happily leave the bears alone if they will agree to the same.

I agree.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by North61
Easy peasy. 405 grain Woodleigh. 1) They are bonded so cling together 2) The lead and copper are brittle enough to lose some weight thus NOT maintaining a huge mushroom that limits penetration. This gives them a great combination of expansion, wound channel and penetration. At the velocities we are talking about the 350 grain Hornady flatnose with interlock is also a winner. The old 300 Nosler Partition which has been discontinued was truly amazing but now long gone. I made a video on this topic 4 years ago if you are interested. I have also testted the 400 Speer and it is really soft and the enormous expansion reduced penetration. I have also tested 440 grain Hard Cast bullets with a wide meplat and while they penetrate through a huge amount of tissue the wound channel is quite a bit less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5nd2uuhaMA

Research with valid field test. The Barnes look like an overall winner for the weight, Hornady great penetration.

Thanks

Oscar Wilde~~
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I know nothing about these loads but what has worked for me for 50 years in Alaska is as above. If they don’t try to put big ugly holes in me, I won’t them. It’s been win win all around. So far. smile

YMMV - Boy Scout ‘em.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I can tell you from close personal experience that 30yds would be a luxury for a bear encounter. My last one was five yards when I saw the bear. I was on my knees skinning an elk when we met up and my rifle was five yards in the opposite direction. My encounters on Afognak and Kodiak were way less than 30yds. No time to be scared as there is literally...no time.

Velocity is not much of an option for my 18" Model 94 in .450 Marlin. They all go slow. They all kick the crap out of the shooter in a light, handy package despite the integrated brake and this is my least favorite range gun. My suggestion is to consider a large and solid bullet for bear country. I had a particularly bad experience with Hornady 350gr interlock factory ammo--multiple shots with jacket separation from the lead core. I would have preferred a large, straight wound channel as shot placement was spot-on. Since then I switched to Kodiak Bonded bullets and hard cast lead. No great stories on bullet performance as I have yet to use them on game.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
Looking for a good expanding bullet at low velocity for bear protection. 400 grain range.

Low velocity for 450 Marlin/45-70 Govt standards, or low velocity as compared to more contemporary rounds? Is this the same rifle you plan to carry for moose/caribou or a separate rifle only to be carried when packing meat out?

I used the 325 flex tip on a big bull moose and it worked fine, but don't think that's the most appropriate for bear defense. I'd at least consider the 405 grain Woodleigh. They make several heavier bullets, more designed for the .458 Win that may be of interest too. Those other bullets may be designed for common twists in .458 Win rifles (as opposed to slower twisted 450/45-70 lever rifles) though...I'm not sure about that.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Try a 402gr Shock Hammer. The gapping hollowpoint will likely open at any reasonable impact velocity and the core (90%) will pound through a lot of muscle. They are also available in 260gr and 300gr.

Attached Images
402gr Shock Hammer.jpg (31.92 KB, 486 downloads)
Last edited by Charlie-NY; 08/30/20.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Charlie-NY
Try a 402gr Shock Hammer. The gapping hollowpoint will likely open at any reasonable impact velocity and the core (90%) will pound through a lot of muscle. They are also available in 260gr and 300gr.

Charlie-NY, The name says it all.

T_Inman,

Low velocity for 450 Marlin/45-70 Govt standards, or low velocity as compared to more contemporary rounds? (Lower velocity than the standard rounds , my 1900 fps might be considered high for the 420 grain Cast Performance?

Oscar Wilde~~
IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by IceKing02
I can tell you from close personal experience that 30yds would be a luxury for a bear encounter. My last one was five yards when I saw the bear. I was on my knees skinning an elk when we met up and my rifle was five yards in the opposite direction. My encounters on Afognak and Kodiak were way less than 30yds. No time to be scared as there is literally...no time.

Velocity is not much of an option for my 18" Model 94 in .450 Marlin. They all go slow. They all kick the crap out of the shooter in a light, handy package despite the integrated brake and this is my least favorite range gun. My suggestion is to consider a large and solid bullet for bear country. I had a particularly bad experience with Hornady 350gr interlock factory ammo--multiple shots with jacket separation from the lead core. I would have preferred a large, straight wound channel as shot placement was spot-on. Since then I switched to Kodiak Bonded bullets and hard cast lead. No great stories on bullet performance as I have yet to use them on game.

5 yards must of been chilling. When we might be in the thick stuff I would be on my guard like no-other, one in the chamber ready to go. I have a friend that was attacked by a brown while salmon fishing over there, he is alive to say luckily. The bear apparently had a kill near-by the authorities say. Uncertain as to if the bear was destroyed.

T_Inman

I guess I would plan to hunt with the rifle as well as carry for anytime protection if that makes any sense? I have a bolt action 300 Winchester Mag I would like to try on Moose though. Maybe across some marshy flats or open areas, but that is another thread.

Oscar Wilde~~
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
The hard cast is an option, but I have no field experience with these. I have a box of Cast Performance in 420 gr. but again, everything is theoretical. Looking for some field instances if any?
At 1900 fps starting point I don't think the A frame's would expand much at any threatening range in time? Would like to start at 400 grain at least. Before anyone tells me to use a 12 gauge slug, my choice is already the guide-gun, why?, because I already have it.

I use a 350 grain hardcast from an NOE ranchndog style mold in my 45/70. Never used it on bear, but I have used a 300 grain hardcast in my 444 marlin, again from an NOE ranchndog style mold in a couple of DLP situations with grizzly. Performance is about as good as it gets in my book. You will have two holes, that I can promise you.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
The OP requested a low velocity load. The Swift 350 and 55 grains of 3031 is NOT low velocity. It will also kick the crap out of who ever shoots it.

It's below what IMR used to list as a starting load in "modern" rifles. I found it very manageable in my ported Guide Gun.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I like Barnes' 400 grain original....I don't have a favorite load...just look in one of their loading manual

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

I do like the 45-70 cartridge loaded purty stout.

Had this short take-down for a while...Till a family member talked me out of it.

Now, I'm using this one, also a short rifle,

In God We Trust
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by yukon254
The hard cast is an option, but I have no field experience with these. I have a box of Cast Performance in 420 gr. but again, everything is theoretical. Looking for some field instances if any?
At 1900 fps starting point I don't think the A frame's would expand much at any threatening range in time? Would like to start at 400 grain at least. Before anyone tells me to use a 12 gauge slug, my choice is already the guide-gun, why?, because I already have it.

I use a 350 grain hardcast from an NOE ranchndog style mold in my 45/70. Never used it on bear, but I have used a 300 grain hardcast in my 444 marlin, again from an NOE ranchndog style mold in a couple of DLP situations with grizzly. Performance is about as good as it gets in my book. You will have two holes, that I can promise you.

What velocity are you using with those 300s?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Dave_Keith
I like Barnes' 400 grain original....I don't have a favorite load...just look in one of their loading manual

I do like the 45-70 cartridge loaded purty stout.

Had this short take-down for a while...Till a family member talked me out of it.

Now, I'm using this one, also a short rifle,

The short rifle below is an excellent example of craftsmanship. Very nice.

Oscar Wilde~~
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by pabucktail

Right at 2000 fps. The 444 is an under appreciated cartridge. In my experience it will do anything the 45/70 will do with less recoil, and it shoots flatter.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by pabucktail

Right at 2000 fps. The 444 is an under appreciated cartridge. In my experience it will do anything the 45/70 will do with less recoil, and it shoots flatter.

I agree. I had a fairly light taper Marlin TK .30-30 rebored and find I get .45-70-like performance in a handier rifle. I've used a 300gr WFN on deer and now have some A-Frames to try. I may just go back to the cast bullets since there was nothing wrong with the wound channels I was getting with those.

I've had three or four Marlin .45-70s before. I like what they do on game, but found the bulk of the forearms and barrels unnecessary for my purposes. The 1895CBA with the 18" octagon barrel looks to have some potential but the one I handled in a store was rough and the wood was gappy. In the end I'm pleased with my .444

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Looking for a good expanding bullet at low velocity for bear protection. 400 grain range.

What TheKid says about the 400 grain Speer is true but if you want low velocity and expansion, it may indeed be a good choice. Back when I had a SS Marlin Guide Gun my load of choice was the 400 grain speer, 52 grains of H4895, WW brass, and Fed 210 primers. It was good for 0.6 inches at 100 yards for 3 shots. The only thing I ever shot with it was a deer. Bullet was not recovered. It was broadside, knocked the aorta off the heart. The exit was pretty small .. not sure how much it expanded, but that's a pretty dang soft target.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by T_O_M

What TheKid says about the 400 grain Speer is true but if you want low velocity and expansion, it may indeed be a good choice. Back when I had a SS Marlin Guide Gun my load of choice was the 400 grain speer, 52 grains of H4895, WW brass, and Fed 210 primers. It was good for 0.6 inches at 100 yards for 3 shots. The only thing I ever shot with it was a deer. Bullet was not recovered. It was broadside, knocked the aorta off the heart. The exit was pretty small .. not sure how much it expanded, but that's a pretty dang soft target.

Tom

I might try some on wet phone books. If I can get my hands on some Barnes originals I will give those a try too. In the end you just never know anyway, it is all theory until it's happening. I just don't want it to happen.

Oscar Wilde~~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,109
Posts18,464,293
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.