Print Thread
Hop To
H
Hugh_W2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
What does the PRC offer that the Creedmoor can’t. A nice case and 200 FPS-225 FPS. What does that buy you? I get flatter trajectory, but the CR already has very flat trajectory. Is the PRC purely a western hunters cartridge, better than CR after 400-500 yards? Please educate me.

Last edited by Hugh_W2; 08/22/20.
GB1

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
6.5 CM*

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Some folks just want a bit more power than the Creedmoor or Swede can muster. Sort of like a 6.5-06 with factory ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Less drop, less time of flight, less wind drift, more energy at the target to name a few, and not beat you up doing it.

225 extra fps is nothing to sneeze at.

6.5 creedmoor: 52-53 gr case capacity
6.5 SLR: 55-56 gr
6.5 PRC: 66-67 gr
6.5 SAUM: 70-71 gr

The PRC has 25% more capacity than a creedmoor, and 5-6% less than a SAUM. In quickload, holding pressure constant at 57k psi in a 26" barrel with 140 hybrids, a 6.5 SAUM (H1000) is about 30-40 fps faster than a 6.5 PRC (H1000), and the PRC is 220 fps faster than a 6.5 creedmoor (H4350).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The PRC and SAUM are more finiky to load, have more recoil, more muzzle blast, more consussion, shorter barrel life, and more expensive brass. The PRC and SAUM also have far fewer factory ammo options available.

The PRC loaded with high BC bullets at ideal COALs is too long to feed from a standard SA length magazine.

A CM achieves a velocity sweet spot with barrels shorter than 26".

I can't think of a scenario in the East where the PRC or SAUM offers an advantage over the CM.

I'm a big fan of the CM. I sold my PRC (Seekins Havak PH1) and have a 4S being built.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IME it’s more like a 250-270 FPS difference between the two with factory ammo. That’s not something to sneeze at. Guys are getting 3000 + with 156 Berger’s with several powders, that’s pretty damn impressive too.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had thought of a prc got to checking , no ammo, no brass, so no buy. anyway got a 6.5-06, 6.5 x 57, 6.5 creedmoor , (3) 6.5x 55, so guess I'll let it slide till there is more makers of the ammo/brass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
The PRC and SAUM are more finiky to load, have more recoil, more muzzle blast, more consussion, shorter barrel life, and more expensive brass. The PRC and SAUM also have far fewer factory ammo options available.

The PRC loaded with high BC bullets at ideal COALs is too long to feed from a standard SA length magazine.

I can't think of a scenario in the East where the PRC or SAUM offers an advantage over the CM.

I'm a big fan of the CM. I sold my PRC (Seekins Havak PH1) and have a 4S being built.

My 6.5 SAUM has shot bug holes from day one. Finicky to load, I think not.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No experience with the PRC. I do have a Creedmoor.

When the PRC came out, some claimed it was a magnum class 6.5.

The ballistics do not bear that out. The PRC is on par with the 6.5-06 and the 6.5-284, neither considered a "magnum". People getting giddy about a a 140 6.5mm bullet getting 3000fps.

I find the 6.5RPM Weatherby much more intriguing. Only downside to it is it requires a standard action rather than a short and as far as I am aware, only Weatherby chambers for it. It could be a good one to rebarrel a Kimber 84L to.

But I'll state again, that a Kimber 8400 Montana in 270WSM is an outstanding western combo and deserves more love.

Originally Posted by kingston

Barrel life between a CM and a PRC would be inconsequential to most shooters. Hornady designed the PRC to work out of standard short action rifles. Who has problems with it in SA rifles? A PRC would have an advantage over a CM in the East when covering; a power line or pipeline right of way, a young logged area, or a large field.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The handloader can make a PRC behave like a manbun, but not vice versa.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Hugh_W2
What does the PRC offer that the Creedmoor can’t. A nice case and 200 FPS-225 FPS. What does that buy you? I get flatter trajectory, but the CR already has very flat trajectory. Is the PRC purely a western hunters cartridge, better than CR after 400-500 yards? Please educate me.

For a hunting cartridge what does the 6.5 Creedmoor or PRC offer that the 6.5 Swede or 6.5/06 hasn't been offering for many years

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 08/23/20.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hugh_W2

I'd say yes. The PRC will be better further out. I'd say past 600 yards. Is the PRC touted as an extremely accurate cartridge design like the CM is? To give you an example, I nail a 2" diameter steel plate at 400 yards with my CM using 140gr pills. Would the PRC be able to do that? You get more recoil with the PRC, so you won't be shooting it all day like you could the Creedmoor. There's an advantage with the creedmoor when you think about shooting volumes of ammo in a day. From a hunting standpoint, one will work just as well as the other out to 1000 yards, but the PRC has the definite advantage when it comes to better trajectory and downrange punch. The downsides to the PRC is ammo availability and components for reloading. I'll be heading to Nevada at the end of the month and I'll take my creedmoor, maybe 2. If I run out of ammo, I can go to the local hardware store there and buy pretty good match grade ammo for a reasonable cost. Try that with the PRC. Here's where I'll be shooting:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Thats the 400 yard backstop at that particular range. Here's the shooting tree I copied:

The one I built is a little nicer though and the targets range from 2" diameter to 12":

The rifle I use for longer range shoots very near an honest 1/2 moa at any sane distance you are going to be shooting:
I'm not talking 3 shot groups either. Thats a waste of time..... Another plus the creedmoor has going for it is you can use it in an AR type rifle:

Try making the short stubby PRC work right in an AR platform. For my type of shooting/hunting, there are more pros for the creedmoor than there is for the PRC...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
For a hunting cartridge what does the 6.5 Creedmoor or PRC offer that the 6.5 Swede or 6.5/06 hasn't been offering for many years

Off the shelf rifles and ammo at reasonable prices. Not everybody wants to go the custom rifle route and develop pet loads.

Last edited by JMR40; 08/23/20.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Trystan

Trystan

Let’s start with the 6.5-06 and dispense with it. The 6.5-06, while a fine and very capable cartridge, has never gained much success in the marketplace. Factory ammo is extremely limited. SAAMI no longer lists the 6.5-06 in any form, Nosler was one of two manufacturers of ammo and no longer lists it, and A-Square, the company that standardized the cartridge, doesn’t show up on a Google search. That makes the 6.5-06 pretty much a handloader’s cartridge even though you might find some old ammo available somewhere. You might be able to find a factory rifle somewhere as well. Good luck on that.

Pretty much every rifle manufacturer makes a CM and often in multiple flavors. Swede rifles are harder to come by and there are far fewer options. The PRC is new so ammo and rifles are limited but it is being well accepted my manufacturers and I expect that support to continue. Ruger, Winchester, Remington, Savage, Bergara, Christensen, Howa and Mossberg all offer 6.5PRC rifles.

Midwayusa.com lists 17 ammo types for the 6.5 Swede, 83 for the Creedmoor and 6 for the PRC. Nosler, Hornady, Federal, Remington and Barnes are all making 6.5PRC ammunition. Winchester and others can be expected to follow.

For most people, and for the reasons cited above, the 6.5CM is an easy choice over the 6.5 Swede. The PRC was designed for hunters who need or want a longer range option. The extra 260fps or so provided by the PRC means the PRC adds about 200 yards to what the CM can do in terms of retained energy and velocity.

My CM and 6.5-06AI are both heavy barrel rifles. A Savage 111 action/stock sits in my safe with no barrel as I removed the rustyed and pitted out 7mm RM barrel it came with. Chances are very good it will become a sporter-weight 6.5PRC.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Can't understand why people seem to think it's an either/or proposition........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah. I have multiples of both....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What Don, Said. Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
yeah. I have multiples of both....

👍👍

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Not very familiar with the 6.5 CM, PRC, or RPM. I recently acquired a 6.5-300 Weatherby which should win the velocity war over all but a close 26 Nosler. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (450yukon, 30Gibbs, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 35sambar, 345dl, 25 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,643
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.