Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I bought a pair of the Cannon Laketroll Downriggers this week and got the bases mounted on the boat today. They are set up with a four pound weight and 100 feet of cable in the hopes of getting close to the bottom of our reservoirs with some Kokanee Trolls.

One unit seems to work okay. The other will not suspend the four pound weight. The handle spins backward and the weight free falls until it hits the ground. Changing tension on the crank does not help.

I have an E-mail in to Cannon. But was hoping someone here could offer some advice.

Thanks for any help.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'll ask a buddy who knows down riggers.

I know cannon and scotty both have great warranties and will repair at little or no cost if you have to send in

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never been a fan of the cannon manuals. I had one for a while and have since gone to Penn fathom masters that I bought second hand for about $100 apiece. The weight descent is much more controlled and they are bulletproof. I actually have 4 of them, 2 with long booms and 2 shortys, can operate them with one hand. I run 15lbers on them.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Hank, I am envious. It sounds like you got a great deal.

It has been 24 hrs and no response to my e-mail to Cannon CS. Perhaps the Rona has them all out of their offices.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
ribka, thanks, I do appreciate that.

I am trying to get the boat all set before the snow melts from the high mountain passes into our favorite fishing lake.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a few Easi-trolls on hand. One had developed that problem, it was all in the springs and washers in the handle. Replaced them all in the correct order and Eureka, it worked.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I have examined the springs and washers in the handles of the two units. They are set up the same. One works the other does not.

Still waiting on a response from Cannon.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
ribka, thanks, I do appreciate that.

I am trying to get the boat all set before the snow melts from the high mountain passes into our favorite fishing lake.

Still waiting to hear from my buddy. Funny usually cannon has great CS

I bought a boat with two of the Penn fathom masters. Have not even tried them. Just ordered scotties 1601's

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I was trying to do this on the cheap. I have never owned a down rigger before, but have used one last summer on a charter boat for salmon off the Oregon Coast.

I may find this purchase was false economy. I mean, I know, "buy once, cry once".

I bought them from Bass Pro, but have little expectation of help from them. Bass Pro has a terrible reputation in such matters. But if I do not hear anything from Cannon by Tues. I will give Bass Pro a call.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ribka, sell those to IdahoShooter

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I was trying to do this on the cheap. I have never owned a down rigger before, but have used one last summer on a charter boat for salmon off the Oregon Coast.

I may find this purchase was false economy. I mean, I know, "buy once, cry once".

I bought them from Bass Pro, but have little expectation of help from them. Bass Pro has a terrible reputation in such matters. But if I do not hear anything from Cannon by Tues. I will give Bass Pro a call.

My limited experience with bass pro with returns was good. I had to return a reel I had for maybe 4-6 months. No problems. Reel worked but just didn’t cast like it should. I was offered a refund or an exchange. If you don’t hear from the manufacturer I would call bass pro and setup an exchange.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Never did hear from Cannon. But I got it figured out and fixed.

The ratchet pawl was installed backward on both units. As the weight fell, I could hear the ratchet clicking. That seemed suspicious to me, but both units were assembled the same.

But after playing with it for a bit, the second unit started dropping the weight also, ratchet clicking as it fell.

So, I took the ratchet side apart and turned the pawl over on both units. They both stop positively now and hold in position.

Must have been a hangover Monday at the factory.

C
C
Good luck with Bass Pro! I do not even go in there. Do they have a sign free parking? Lol What a bunch of sheysters.

Chinook3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have had small cannons on my 14 ft boat ,,electric scotties on my big boat my current boat I put on cannon electrics...junk,,,
I now have penn manuals on it....penn makes the best down riggers period....all the others were nothing but trouble for me...penn always work..these are the old ones bought them used..I don't know if the new ones are as good..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad you got the downriggers to function properly.

Down riggers are a fantastic addition for any western fisherman. I machined my own manual ones over 30 yrs ago can go down to 120 ft. I have downrigger trolled for western fish: lake trout, kokanee, rainbows, browns and even bass and stripers. Some of the lakes I fished: Powell, Flaming Gorge, Half Moon, Fremont, Teton, Yellowstone, Hebken, Hauser, Canyon Ferry, Coeur d'Alene, Pend Oreille, Priest and Flathead . There are probably more that I can't recall right now.

I have also downrigger trolled Lake Ontario, Seneca, Cayuga and Canandagua near Rochester N.Y.

I miss catching and eating Kokanee my favorite fresh water fish. Largest ones were found in Flaming Gorge and Hauser lake (near Helena) But that was long ago. Have no idea what is going on in those lakes now. I used a #2 needlefish in bright orange/white to catch most of them. Nothing like catching a 18-21" kokanee down 50-70 ft and having it run to surface and jump like the devil on light line!

I learned quite a bit from a friend who ran four elec. Rivera downriggers in Lake Ontario and the Finger lakes where I grew up. I copied many of his methods. Thin lightweight spoons are amazing in what they can catch and some of these are 3-4" long. I also used many floating rapalas. Much to my amazment Browns like plugs trolled very quickly. Another lure that few know much about is the J plug by Lure Jensen or the Lyman plug. Both have a wiggle while going side to side, really triggers strikes from lake trout and browns. Heck I even caught some lake trout at 110 ft with a rattle trap at Flathead lake!

If your state allows it a slider lure is something to add to the mix. A 8-10 ft mono leader with a clip at one end and a lure at other is clipped onto the line after downrigger is setup. It will slide down the bow of the line and pretty much center itself between the release and the surface of the water. If a fish hits the slider it will go down to release and rod will spring up just like a fish caught off the release. Allows you to troll two depths.

I have used may releases and like the Black's the best:

https://www.fishusa.com/Blacks-Down...a8diV6wIVwxx9Ch0sEg1mEAAYAiAAEgJPF_D_BwE

I use a 10 lb downrigger weight I cast myself which the locals around Rochester named the Herbie. Here is what it looks like.

https://www.amazon.com/Tackle-Room-...hy=9030230&hvtargid=pla-896665162729

pic of mold:
https://www.amazon.com/Hilts-Molds-...mp;psc=1&refRID=1AG02SMW4Z97G0CCP24T

I sincerely hope you catch many fish with your system. Often it is the only way to catch them when they go deep.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Glad you got the downriggers to function properly.

Down riggers are a fantastic addition for any western fisherman. I machined my own manual ones over 30 yrs ago can go down to 120 ft. I have downrigger trolled for western fish: lake trout, kokanee, rainbows, browns and even bass and stripers. Some of the lakes I fished: Powell, Flaming Gorge, Half Moon, Fremont, Teton, Yellowstone, Hebken, Hauser, Canyon Ferry, Coeur d'Alene, Pend Oreille, Priest and Flathead . There are probably more that I can't recall right now.

I have also downrigger trolled Lake Ontario, Seneca, Cayuga and Canandagua near Rochester N.Y.

I miss catching and eating Kokanee my favorite fresh water fish. Largest ones were found in Flaming Gorge and Hauser lake (near Helena) But that was long ago. Have no idea what is going on in those lakes now. I used a #2 needlefish in bright orange/white to catch most of them. Nothing like catching a 18-21" kokanee down 50-70 ft and having it run to surface and jump like the devil on light line!

I learned quite a bit from a friend who ran four elec. Rivera downriggers in Lake Ontario and the Finger lakes where I grew up. I copied many of his methods. Thin lightweight spoons are amazing in what they can catch and some of these are 3-4" long. I also used many floating rapalas. Much to my amazment Browns like plugs trolled very quickly. Another lure that few know much about is the J plug by Lure Jensen or the Lyman plug. Both have a wiggle while going side to side, really triggers strikes from lake trout and browns. Heck I even caught some lake trout at 110 ft with a rattle trap at Flathead lake!

If your state allows it a slider lure is something to add to the mix. A 8-10 ft mono leader with a clip at one end and a lure at other is clipped onto the line after downrigger is setup. It will slide down the bow of the line and pretty much center itself between the release and the surface of the water. If a fish hits the slider it will go down to release and rod will spring up just like a fish caught off the release. Allows you to troll two depths.

I have used may releases and like the Black's the best:

https://www.fishusa.com/Blacks-Down...a8diV6wIVwxx9Ch0sEg1mEAAYAiAAEgJPF_D_BwE

I use a 10 lb downrigger weight I cast myself which the locals around Rochester named the Herbie. Here is what it looks like.

https://www.amazon.com/Tackle-Room-...hy=9030230&hvtargid=pla-896665162729

pic of mold:
https://www.amazon.com/Hilts-Molds-...mp;psc=1&refRID=1AG02SMW4Z97G0CCP24T

I sincerely hope you catch many fish with your system. Often it is the only way to catch them when they go deep.

Suttons used to work pretty good. Spent countless hours fishing Cayuga, mostly off shore at Taughannock but once I got a boat I was always out trolling. NK28's were run deep and suttons up higher. My old boat had electric Rivieras on it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Cannon has a life time warranty
Most guys I know that have them have been happy

They are part of the Johnson Outdoors group and typically have very good customer service

Here is the Midwest they have authorized service centers I wonder if that maybe helpful
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

599 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 74 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,264
Posts18,448,240
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.