Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre
BC30Cal,

I am not sure I understand. If both barrels are 1:10, if bullet A is launched at 3000 fps and it has X rotational speed when that bullet reaches say 2300 fps and it then has Y rotational speed. How does it differ from a bullet launched at 2625 fps and it has W rotational speed when it reaches 2300 fps does it not have Y rotational speed also.

I ask because my in depth physics knowledge is limited and if I read your post correctly it seems to imply that they had different rotational speeds even though they were travelling at the same velocity.

Not Dwayne, but I understand what he is saying, and agree with him.

The bullet reaches maximum speed at about the muzzle, both forward and rotational. Forward speed is lost much faster than rotational and they are in no way connected. By maintaining the higher rotational speed all the way to the target bullets are spinning faster when hitting animals. That greater rotational spin leads to more dramatic deformation and therefore more tissue damage.

Taken to extremes, watch some prarie dog videos. Higher rotational speeds and frangible bullets makes for some serious goo-flinging.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sitka,

Thanks. Like I said I have a limited knowledge of physics.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sitka Deer;
Good afternoon sir, I hope the day's as bright and fair in your section of the globe as it is down here today and you and you're fine family are well.

From what I recall of your photos, you're taller, better looking AND have a full head of hair - but despite that and thus emphatically not me, that's exactly what I was attempting to convey sir! laugh

Honestly I'd have to say that was the beginnings of me heading down the whole fast twist rabbit hole and am now a dyed in the wool apostle of rapid rotation. wink

The current walking around rifles are either a .308 Norma or a 6.5x55 with a deep groove, fast twist military 96 barrel that a smith modified to fit a 98 action. So far Sitka, the combination of deep groove, fast twist and monometal bullet appears to be a wonderful combination.

Thanks for answering the query on my behalf, all the best to you all and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Charlie-NY
I shot a large bull with a 338RUM and a 250 Accubond. At the shot, the bull lurched up into the air and flipped over backwards. By the time his palms slammed into the turf he was DEAD. Horsepower matters.

LOL ....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by jwall
IF I was going Moose hunting, the 308 W is one cartridge I would not consider using.

Funny.

Maybe to you. I had one 308 and killed WT with it and was not impressed.

IMO there are several cartridges superior to the 308 and I’d jump the 06 too.
Yes, they’ll kill moose and elk but I prefer more, flatter trajectories.

It does not matter to me what cartridge anyone uses. It should not matter to you
Brad.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jerry,

The quickest-deadest I've seen a bull moose killed with a double lung shot was with a .270 Winchester and the 150-grain Partition. By almost any measure the .308 is just about the same as the .270--except for slightly larger bullet diameter.

Did kill a big Alaskan moose with the .338 Winchester Magnum and the 230-grain Winchester Fail safe. It was almost facing me at around 100 yards, so I aimed just inside the near shoulder. Like Charlie-NY's bull, it "lurched up into the air and flipped over backwards" or something like that. It looked more like a bucking horse standing on its hind legs, then falling over backwards and sideways and rolling down a stream-bank about 12-15 feet high, landing on the flat gravel below.

It looked pretty dead, but within a couple seconds got up again and lurched into the river itself, whereupon my guide said, "DON'T SHOOT HIM IN THE WATER!"

The bull tried to cross the river, but ended up dying in the deepest part of the channel, with ONE tine of it's antlers about 3 inches above the surface. The next six hours were very interesting. Turned out the bullet had made a good-sized hole in the chest innards, ended up resting against the front of the pelvis.

Have seen a lot of elk-sized game killed with the .308, African plains game and ELK. With a bullet that expands and penetrates sufficiently, it kills such game very well. If it doesn't kill whitetails very well for you, hmm....

If you actually had some experience with the OP's question, that would be interesting. Otherwise not.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Colin_Matchett
Our moose in New Brunswick are medium sized. A big bull will run around 1000 lbs.

With the 308 Win, what bullet would you recommend. Typical shot ranges would be 50 yards to a really long shot of 300 yards.

I typically shoot bullets in the 150 to 168 grain range in my 308 and I do handload.

I am looking for opinions.

Really appreciate your feedback.

Colin

Colin, where will you be hunting? I have taken a couple of NB moose with old timey 200 gr. Speer SPs. They were only travelling at about 2400 fps. These days, I would be inclined to load up a Barnes middleweight bullet. Those rimless 303s (308 Winchester) are all the rifle you need for sure!

We hunted off Hwy 108 whren I was stationed in Chatham. No long shots. We didn't have rangefinders, but one was maybe 40 or 50 yds from me. The other, 100 yd or a bit less.

And an unrelated question: How is the pavement on 108 now? I was posted in Chatham in the mid 1980s and they had decommissioned the highway. Trees and shrubs grew right up to the highway. I used to drive down the yellow line. When I got posted to BC in 1988, a buddy slammed into a moose on 108 riding his motorcycle. Not much left of him or the bike.

Edited to add: Colin hasn't been here for a while. Anyone else in NB that can tell me how the highway is these days?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Brad
IF I was going Moose hunting, the 308 W is one cartridge I would not consider using.

Funny.

Maybe to you. I had one 308 and killed WT with it and was not impressed.

IMO there are several cartridges superior to the 308 and I’d jump the 06 too.
Yes, they’ll kill moose and elk but I prefer more, flatter trajectories.

It does not matter to me what cartridge anyone uses. It should not matter to you
Brad.

Jerry

My son has killed a huge-bodied bull, a brown bear, several caribou, black bears, a mountain goat, a Sitka blackmail, and maybe other stuff I forgot with a 25-06 and 80gr ttsx... seems that putting the bullet in the right spot allows it to work

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jerry,

The quickest-deadest I've seen a bull moose killed with a double lung shot was with a .270 Winchester and the 150-grain Partition.

Have seen a lot of elk-sized game killed with the .308, African plains game and ELK. With a bullet that expands and penetrates sufficiently, it kills such game very well. If it doesn't kill whitetails very well for you, hmm....

If you actually had some experience with the OP's question, that would be interesting. Otherwise not.

First and I think most important, you read more into my "passing" comment than I intended.

I did not say the 308 did NOT kill well. I said I was not impressed with the cartridge - totally diff.
I had a 308 in the 1980s.... have not owned one since.

Since I don't own a 308 for WT hunting why would I choose one to hunt Elk, Mosse, etc. ?

This is not for your benefit MD. I own, shoot, & hunt 7mm RMs, 300 WMs, & 8 mm RM without WHINING.

WE should be very glad that EVERYONE does not like, shoot & hunt the SAME cartridge. Ammo would be very difficult to find and components would suffer the same for handloaders.

I ask again (I've asked this before), What difference does it make to someone else, what cartridge anyone chooses?

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 08/26/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You're a whiny old man, Jerry. Shush.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

My son has killed a huge-bodied bull, a brown bear, several caribou, black bears, a mountain goat, a Sitka blackmail, and maybe other stuff I forgot with a 25-06 and 80gr ttsx... seems that putting the bullet in the right spot allows it to work

Your son obviously doesn't know what he's doing.
grin

And if anyone wants to read the OP, he wasn't asking opinions on the .308 as a moose cartridge. He was asking about bullets to use in the .308 for moose.

Why anyone would opine on its sufficiency is a mystery, he seems to be comfortable with it. So if we don't care what cartridges other people use, what's up with opinions on his chosen cartridge? He didn't ask that question.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
smokey

"edit: commentary - IF I was going Moose hunting, the 308 W is one cartridge I would not consider using."

merely a passing comment --- nothing more.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Jerry: If I was going moose hunting, I'd use my .375 Ruger. Not because it's needed, just because I've never hunted anything with it and it's a cool rifle. Re-stocked with a McMillan.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Smokey

Yep I understand. I appreciate that round and don’t need one either.

I’ve used the 8 mm RM, 300 WM & 7 mm RM on WT and they aren’t needed except for
the flat trajectory in some places.

I’ve had the 8 since the 90s and have thot about selling/trading it but decided
not to. They aren’t making them anymore and it’s not costing me anything in
my arsenal. Not many people can say they have an 8 mm RM

I really believe and feel that anyone can/should use any rifle, cartridge they want to use.

We STILL have the “right” to diff opinions.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I know you still don't get it, Jerry. He wasn't asking for your opinion on different cartridges or rifles. Lie down and rest.

...With the 308 Win, what bullet would you recommend. Typical shot ranges would be 50 yards to a really long shot of 300 yards...

I typically shoot bullets in the 150 to 168 grain range in my 308 and I do handload.

Colin

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
168 TTSX.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Our moose in New Brunswick are medium sized. A big bull will run around 1000 lbs.

With the 308 Win, what bullet would you recommend. Typical shot ranges would be 50 yards to a really long shot of 300 yards.

Colin

Nosler partition 165 or 180 . Good luck and envious that you get to hunt those.

How many Canadian moose have been killed with a 303 ? Hint ......Lots

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Colin

Nosler partition 165 or 180 . Good luck and envious that you get to hunt those.

How many Canadian moose have been killed with a 303 ? Hint ......Lots

This is from 2009

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
So tell us how your 2009 moose hunt went. I’m betting it never happened. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Colin hasn't visited the Campfire since March of 2019, and quit posting in 2015, I would guess because he got tired of the BS. Some people do.

I would guess, however, that the moose hunt did happen, because he's listed as living in New Brunswick. I PM'd back and forth with him a few times, and he had plenty of moose experience.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
490 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 2,195 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.