Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Colin hasn't visited the Campfire since March of 2019, and quit posting in 2015, I would guess because he got tired of the BS. Some people do.

I would guess, however, that the moose hunt did happen, because he's listed as living in New Brunswick. I PM'd back and forth with him a few times, and he had plenty of moose experience.

Moose tags are on a draw here in New Brunswick. I've only had three tags in 35yrs. Lots of folk have had less.

With the borders closed, it opens up some opportunity for moose hunting in NFLD this year for those who live in the Maritime bubble. I suspect a few will be going over. It's a lot less expensive than on a normal year.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW ....... I wouldn't hesitate to use a 308 for moose here in NB.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
So SC, I'll ask you. I used to live in Chatham, NB and we hunted off Highway 108. What is the condition of that road now? It was decommissioned, but the hunting was good. When I was there, the western part was probably better, closer to Plaster Rock.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Colin hasn't visited the Campfire since March of 2019, and quit posting in 2015, I would guess because he got tired of the BS. Some people do.

I would guess, however, that the moose hunt did happen, because he's listed as living in New Brunswick. I PM'd back and forth with him a few times, and he had plenty of moose experience.

Moose tags are on a draw here in New Brunswick. I've only had three tags in 35yrs. Lots of folk have had less.

With the borders closed, it opens up some opportunity for moose hunting in NFLD this year for those who live in the Maritime bubble. I suspect a few will be going over. It's a lot less expensive than on a normal year.

Colin hunted moose in other provinces as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WAM
So tell us how your 2009 moose hunt went. I’m betting it never happened. Happy Trails

I could tell you how my 2009 Moose hunt went. But it's not me you're asking. Plus I used a .30-06 anyway.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It looked pretty dead, but within a couple seconds got up again and lurched into the river itself, whereupon my guide said, "DON'T SHOOT HIM IN THE WATER!"

The bull tried to cross the river, but ended up dying in the deepest part of the channel, with ONE tine of it's antlers about 3 inches above the surface. The next six hours were very interesting.

John, you left us hanging. smile

I'd love to hear the "rest story of the story." How in the world did you guys recover that moose?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by skeen
It looked pretty dead, but within a couple seconds got up again and lurched into the river itself, whereupon my guide said, "DON'T SHOOT HIM IN THE WATER!"

The bull tried to cross the river, but ended up dying in the deepest part of the channel, with ONE tine of it's antlers about 3 inches above the surface. The next six hours were very interesting.

I'd love to hear the "rest story of the story." How in the world did you guys recover that moose?

And if he had it to do over again, would he have kept shooting once the moose was in the water?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

I also would like to hear the rest of the story....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I know I know! They got wet. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Colin hunted moose in other provinces as well.

Many people do if they want to moose hunt at all. I've hunted in NB, Yukon (x2), Ont and will be going to NFLD this year. The outfitter told me that there will be 4 or 5 others in camp that week I'm going. They would all be Maritimers.

Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
So SC, I'll ask you. I used to live in Chatham, NB and we hunted off Highway 108. What is the condition of that road now? It was decommissioned, but the hunting was good. When I was there, the western part was probably better, closer to Plaster Rock.

I haven't been through that road in 10years. Not much help here as I live in the southern part of the province.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Looks like they rerouted and repaved and fixed things up. When they decommissioned it years ago, the highway was very dangerous to drive at night. You couldn't see much. Trees and bushes came right up to the road.

I see that moose are still a concern. The 108 is called the "Renous", and is not a secured route (no moose fencing), so it is very dangerous for semi-trucks. Heck, for anyone!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Brunswick_Route_108

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Looks like they rerouted and repaved and fixed things up. When they decommissioned it years ago, the highway was very dangerous to drive at night. You couldn't see much. Trees and bushes came right up to the road.

I see that moose are still a concern. The 108 is called the "Renous", and is not a secured route (no moose fencing), so it is very dangerous for semi-trucks. Heck, for anyone!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Brunswick_Route_108

Last I went through was in the middle of the night in the middle of a snow storm. <barf>

We went slow to say the least.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That makes sense.

I remember it was hard to get a moose tag 35 yrs ago. I always thought with the moose numbers around 108, that there would be more tags.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are tons of swamp donkeys taken every year inn Alberta with 308,s, most of them with 180 whatevers.

In my personal rifle I use either 180 or 215 grain KKSP bullets made by C.I.L. from way back when, but have also killed one with a 150 TSX .
Same old thing, what you hit them with is not nearly so important as WHERE you hit them!
If your rifle and you are capable of MOA at 500 yards , fill yer boots.
Personally I like them a tad closer with my hunting rifles........
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 08/30/20.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have shot a couple moose at 250 or so yards with my .308's, and a few at closer range. I can't figure out any reasonable excuse for using a bullet less than 165 grains. A 150 might work just fine, and usually does, but if you hit the joint where the humerus / scapula meet up, a standard construction 150 grain bullet will often not penetrate to the vitals. Have seen that a few times. Compared to an inch or three more drop of 180's, most 150's have nothing useful to offer on a target the size of a moose. An exception could be made for the 150 gr. Barnes or similar all copper bullets. The .308 bullet I have the most moose experience with is the 180 gr. Nosler Partition, and I highly recommend it. Consistent, and deadly. But a 165 gr. Remington core lokt, Nosler Accubond, or Nosler Partiton would do as well. If I was forced to use one bullet in my .308 rifles for game animals bigger than deer it would be a Norma Oryx, 165 gr. Any similar bullet that holds together, gives deep penetration even through heavy bone, with adequate expansion and is accurate in your rifle would be OK for moose. I personally would not use any Berger, Hornady SST, Sierra target bullets, or similar frangible bullet for hunting moose.

Last edited by castnblast; 09/01/20.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
An acquaintance from the range went to Canada on a moose hunt last year. He has plenty of rifles, but decided to take his 308. His load used a 200 grain Nosler Partition. The moose he shot was quite dead. I don't think it was a long shot.

If I were to take my 308, I would use the load I shot recently with a 175 grain Barnes LRX at around 2,700 fps.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Always interesting to hear so many stories.

My wife and I have taken bull moose in Alaska, Alberta, British Columbia and Montana. The cartridges included the .270 Winchester, 7x57 Mauser, .338 Winchester Magnum and 9.3x62 Mauser. Oh, and a 12-gauge slug gun, used by Eileen because centerfire rifles were not lagl in that area. Have had hunting partners take them with rounds from the 6.5x55 on up to the .375 H&H, from Alaska to Finland.

The farthest any of them went after the shot was around 50 yards--if hit right.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by catnthehat
There are tons of swamp donkeys taken every year inn Alberta with 308,s, most of them with 180 whatevers.

In my personal rifle I use either 180 or 215 grain KKSP bullets made by C.I.L. from way back when, but have also killed one with a 150 TSX .
Same old thing, what you hit them with is not nearly so important as WHERE you hit them!
If your rifle and you are capable of MOA at 500 yards , fill yer boots.
Personally I like them a tad closer with my hunting rifles........
Cat

Remington and CIL were the last two companies that produced regular, cup and core 215s. My first moose was taken with a No 1 Mk III and a 215 gr. CIL KKSP. That was the rifle I talked about that had scotch tape holding the rear sight down to keep it from hopping. I always felt that a heavy bullet was all I needed because long shots might have been 100 yd. Probably less where we hunted. Since I still hunt thickly wooded boreal forests, I don't bother with any fancy bullets.

When you asked if I was still making 200 gr. bullets, I thought about the letters and pictures guys used to send me of their hunts with them. Some guy in Winnipeg bought 500. I assumed he wanted them to last a long time. But most hunters sold off their 303s for 308s or 300 WMs. Buying a 308 was understandable. You could get ammunition everywhere, and there wasn't much on the continent that remained standing with a good hit. But the 300WM?

I have a running joke with a couple of gun shops after moose season. How many 300 WMs did you take in trade? A fair number return each year, but hardly any 308s. And like I always say, that's to be expected. A 308 is merely a rimless 303.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fun reading through this old thread.

Anybody else think that the bullet pics Sitka Deer posted aren’t actually Accubonds?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
65 yards with a 140 TSX out of a 7mm-08 at 2825 fps using CFE223

Punched thru both shoulders. Dropped to the ground at the shot. Last Sunday - opening day of Moose for several Idaho units

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
375 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 36 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,898
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.