Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
There is a farm for sale near us. It's not the best land around for sure. It's in CRP through 2026.

The asking price is $8000 an acres. I'd like it better a 6.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Make an offer on it Richard. Around here, we don't see much being enrolled anymore in CRP unless it is the very marginal land. I have 16 acres on one farm that comes out this year. I only put it in for the wildlife anyway, just to have a place for the turkeys to nest, but the dumb things had rather use hay and wheat fields. They offered to re-enroll it at $50 an acre less than I was getting, so it wasn't an option.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Insane land prices. But I suppose if you can produce enough, it’s worth it. I’m from west central ks originally. Lots of land can be bought there for less than $1000 an acre. Saw a section sell for $580/ac couple months ago. It’s not great farm land and 30 acres floods most years. Still cheap.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Just had our ground in clayton cty. Appraised at 7,700.00 an acre average. That's over 5 parcels with 2 of them being pretty marginal. Don't know how you guys do it.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
We passed on it, I'd had to been 7800.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Prices in western South Dakota are on the rise but still behind what is being quoted in this thread, except for Kansas. Irrigated ground in my area sold for about $2000 a couple of years ago and now it is bringing $4000 plus in smaller parcels around 40 to 80 acres. A place just went on the market for $4500 an acre with a small house, nice metal barn/shop, and the usual corrals. The ground has a half circle pivot and grazing land.

I hear that there are people from each coast looking to escape what they created there looking to move here so they can do it again. Hope it isn't true.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Make an offer on it Richard. Around here, we don't see much being enrolled anymore in CRP unless it is the very marginal land. I have 16 acres on one farm that comes out this year. I only put it in for the wildlife anyway, just to have a place for the turkeys to nest, but the dumb things had rather use hay and wheat fields. They offered to re-enroll it at $50 an acre less than I was getting, so it wasn't an option.

How's the CRP work, are you paid each year? Per acre ? can either you the land owner or gooberman get out at any time ? And does it transfer if ownership changes? And how much does it pay ?

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
The CRP is about 293 an acer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimy
Originally Posted by JamesJr

How's the CRP work, are you paid each year? Per acre ? can either you the land owner or gooberman get out at any time ? And does it transfer if ownership changes? And how much does it pay ?

The rate you are paid per acre varies greatly, according to the state, county, soil type, and the type of land, as well as some other factors. USDA then determines the rate they pay an acre. I put some in 10 years ago for $125 an acre, and had I waited a year of so, it went up quite a bit more. That 10 year contract expires in 3 weeks, and they offered to re-enroll it for about $50 an acre LESS. Meanwhile, land in an adjoining county is going in for over $200 an acre, and more in some instances. While I believe there are instances in which CRP is a good thing, and it is great for the wildlife, I'll never put anymore land into the program.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
This farm is seeded to wild flowers. I'm told they pay more that way?

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Sheesh....CRP around here is 20 to 25 bucks an acre.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
This farm is seeded to wild flowers. I'm told they pay more that way?

They pay more here if you use a mix of seed that includes some wildflowers. I used purple coneflowers and some kind of daisy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stantdm
Prices in western South Dakota are on the rise but still behind what is being quoted in this thread, except for Kansas. Irrigated ground in my area sold for about $2000 a couple of years ago and now it is bringing $4000 plus in smaller parcels around 40 to 80 acres. A place just went on the market for $4500 an acre with a small house, nice metal barn/shop, and the usual corrals. The ground has a half circle pivot and grazing land.

I hear that there are people from each coast looking to escape what they created there looking to move here so they can do it again. Hope it isn't true.

Property is going crazy here.
A buddy has contacts in a high dollar lake community, and real estate agents.
Some of these places are 25% plus of what they were a year ago.
And they aren't showing houses and signing deals with the first qualified buyer
who pits money down.

It like a silent auction.
Open house.
Make a sealed bid offer.
In two or three weeks, the owner decides if/which bid gets it.
10% over, plus is needed to have a chance.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
They got that farm sold. Not to us.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had heard that the CRP programs were being cut way back and it's getting hard to get into them.

This may vary state to state.

Black Cows Matter!
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
We had one 34 acre piece in CRP that expired this spring. We applied to re-enroll it. I didn’t do anything fancy with the application to earn extra points. It was existing CRP on HEL ground that already had the wildflowers/ pollinators in it. 97% of Kansas apps were accepted this year, mine was not. Not sure what to do with it now. No fence or water and not worth farming, it could be decent hay with some work. CRP here pays around $35-50 per acre and land is at all time high bringing 2500-3000

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, planting trees on your CRP contract allows for longer terms and is easier to re-enroll, at least around here. If one wants herbaceous, pollinator planting is a much higher payment if one can stomach the higher seed cost. The requirement for mid-contract management that's not cost shared makes me think there'll be less CRP in the future.

Tillable around here on any decent ground has been going for $13K/ac or higher for a couple of years. There's quite a bit of CRP around, but very, very little whole field stuff. Most are grassed waterways or field borders. About the only places we see folks opting for whole field CRP is on reclaimed mine ground.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
CRP, is a good deal if you don't have cattle out in the winter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in the 90's, my brother and I bought a farm, and after doing some pencil work, decided to enroll it in CRP, and let that pay for it........which it did. I had quit row crop farming at that time, and was only growing tobacco and running a small herd of beef cattle, so I didn't need much land to do that. CRP prices here are all over the board, depending on the type of land, and the county it's in. I like CRP for the wildlife, and we still had 16 acres enrolled at $125 an acre on one farm. It was up for re-enrollment this year, and they offered around $90 an acre to keep it in. As we can get twice that much for crop rent, I decided to take it out of CRP and crop it.

If I had a farm that I wanted to use exclusively for the wildlife, and didn't need the income, CRP would be the way to go. Also, in some cases, if you have the right soil type, and are on HEL, you can probably get more money on CRP payments than you can from crop or pasture rent, or from farming it yourself. I know of some people here who are getting paid $200 an acre or more for some CRP land.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Soils matter. CRP rental rates are based on the soil type. Location can matter if it's a special emphasis area, which for some practices can increase the rental payment.

I know a guy that bought 80ac of pretty rough crop ground. Lots of gullies, poor soil conditions. He enrolled it into a 10yr warm season grass contract. First spring after it ran out he no-tilled drilled soybeans into it. Been one heck of a field for him since. Used nature to build up the soil. Be a good way to go on some of the reclaim ground around here folks farm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
86 members (10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, 257robertsimp, akshooting, 15 invisible), 1,661 guests, and 747 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.