Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Looking for real world experience with either a Ruger American or Savage Axis 6.5 Creedmoor. I have owned an Axis in 6.5 Creedmoor that had a Timney trigger and it shot well. Looking to see how the Ruger compares. I’m looking for an simple,accurate durable, no frills 6.5. Michigan allows a centerfire under .269” for night time varmint hunting so a 6.5 Creedmoor fits the bill and I’m looking for a decent shooter for around $500. Thinking this might be a flip of a coin between the two.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Ruger Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and I bedded the forearm to stiffen it up, other than that, it is about factory. I did cut a coil off the trigger spring to get the trigger weight down. I took factory Hornady 120 ELD-M and went to 1000 yards with it. Of course I did put a scope on it....

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh, I guess I should add that I liked it so well (for a cheap gun) that I bought the exact same rifle in 6 MM Creedmoor but this one takes the AI mags. The 6.5 uses the factory rotary mag. If I were buying new I would go the AI mag route. That was not an option when I bought my 6.5

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For that price, you're going to get a lot more bang for buck from a Winchester XPR. Same barrel and trigger as M70s, teflon coated bolt, already has their version of Cerakoat, etc. I had a standard length 6.5cm that shot Hornady SST 129s very, very well. Mine was just black, but they come in all kinds of camo patterns now, too.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like my Ruger Predator a lot. Stupid accurate for a rifle I paid $350 for. They are over $400 now. But I don't completely trust the magazines. I think Tikka is worth the extra money, about $600 in blue and you see them closer to $500 at times.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of options
Tc venture or compass are know shooters.
I don’t care for the RAR, I know people love them.
There are or were some sales on sauer 100 and that’s a lot of gun for the money.
Weatherby vanguard .
Mauser M18 for 399 last time I saw on sale. Great reviews

Last edited by Dre; 08/26/20.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
For that price, you're going to get a lot more bang for buck from a Winchester XPR. Same barrel and trigger as M70s, teflon coated bolt, already has their version of Cerakoat, etc. I had a standard length 6.5cm that shot Hornady SST 129s very, very well. Mine was just black, but they come in all kinds of camo patterns now, too.

I bought an XPR a few months ago, but haven't shot it yet. Was going to buy an M18 or Sauer XT, but went for the Winchester instead. For a budget rifle, I think it's actually pretty nice but mine doesn't have the Perma-Cote. I paid $350 and Winchester had a $50 rebate at the time. They processed the rebate really quick, with good communication. IIRC, I had a check in less than a week. Right now, there's a $25 rebate.

The stock on the XPR is quite a bit stiffer than the RAR that I had. I think the trigger is better than the factory RAR or 700 too. The rifling looks much better than the 700 rifles that I've looked at. Bedding luggette and magazine are similar to the Tikka. Fat bolt like an RAR, and easy to disassemble for cleaning. Safety locks the bolt. The bolt stop appears to handle impacts, not the pin. And it looks like there's decent primary extraction, but I'm not an expert at evaluating that so much. Feeding and ejecting dummies seems fine.

My only complaint is that the 60 degree bolt lift is a little heavy, compared to say a 700. Not a big deal for the intended use though. And mag OAL for L/A is sufficient, but not extended.

Assuming it shoots, this might become my favorite beater rifle grin

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I didn't realize they made a version without the perms-coate, though some of them are just coated flat black and you'd never know it just from looking.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
White paper towel wiped along the barrel, turned rust red. No different than some other blued barrels. Not a deal breaker, as I'll just apply Dyna Gun Shield.

I think their advertising is a little misleading, as I thought that all models had Perma-Cote. But if you check out their website carefully, they don't list it for the standard model. Just matte blued.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Weatherguard V2 or Compact V2 or regular V2 or Mossberg Patriot or RAR-P?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator

I bought an XPR a few months ago, but haven't shot it yet. Was going to buy an M18 or Sauer XT, but went for the Winchester instead. For a budget rifle, I think it's actually pretty nice but mine doesn't have the Perma-Cote. I paid $350 and Winchester had a $50 rebate at the time. They processed the rebate really quick, with good communication. IIRC, I had a check in less than a week. Right now, there's a $25 rebate.

The stock on the XPR is quite a bit stiffer than the RAR that I had. I think the trigger is better than the factory RAR or 700 too. The rifling looks much better than the 700 rifles that I've looked at. Bedding luggette and magazine are similar to the Tikka. Fat bolt like an RAR, and easy to disassemble for cleaning. Safety locks the bolt. The bolt stop appears to handle impacts, not the pin. And it looks like there's decent primary extraction, but I'm not an expert at evaluating that so much. Feeding and ejecting dummies seems fine.

My only complaint is that the 60 degree bolt lift is a little heavy, compared to say a 700. Not a big deal for the intended use though. And mag OAL for L/A is sufficient, but not extended.

Assuming it shoots, this might become my favorite beater rifle grin

The ergs of the XPR stocks don't work for me, so my throw-away 6.5 Creedmoor is a Mossberg Patriot that came in a matte gray Cerakote finish.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by brinky72
Looking for real world experience with either a Ruger American or Savage Axis 6.5 Creedmoor. I have owned an Axis in 6.5 Creedmoor that had a Timney trigger and it shot well. Looking to see how the Ruger compares. I’m looking for an simple,accurate durable, no frills 6.5. Michigan allows a centerfire under .269” for night time varmint hunting so a 6.5 Creedmoor fits the bill and I’m looking for a decent shooter for around $500. Thinking this might be a flip of a coin between the two.

I have a Ruger Predator in 6.5 Grendel... I'm working with it, but am not impressed... paided $449 for it... 10 Round mag is standard..Metal work finish internally is rough

I picked up a 6.5 Creedmoor in a T/C Compass... for $200 on sale... I am very impressed with it...and its very accurate, well made ( good Q/C) feeds real well, especially compared to the Ruger Grendel...

Liked it enough and for $200, I picked up another for a disabled Marine Buddy again...picked him up a 223 Howa Mini a few years back from Short Action Smoker...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
The ergs of the XPR stocks don't work for me, so my throw-away 6.5 Creedmoor is a Mossberg Patriot that came in a matte gray Cerakote finish.

XPR seems pretty generic in terms of ergos. What doesn't "work"?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

XPR seems pretty generic in terms of ergos. What doesn't "work"?

The usual, fit and feel.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Compass for sure on the cheap, but a Vanguard would be super. I'm in the just can't like the RAR group, though I try and try and try again. $500? Hmmm.... IMO a Vanguard is a huge advancement over an Axis or RAR, a real forever rifle.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Compass for sure on the cheap, but a Vanguard would be super. I'm in the just can't like the RAR group, though I try and try and try again. $500? Hmmm.... IMO a Vanguard is a huge advancement over an Axis or RAR, a real forever rifle.

Agreed, lots more value in a $550 V2 than from a sub-$400 whatever.

Back in 02/20 Barrels and Arrows in Marshall, MN, was selling stainless Howa 1500 in 6.5 CM for $380, too good a price not to buy one.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Compass for $234 after rebate. Free shipping.

https://images.kygunco.com/Follow_Your_Compass/v1/Follow-Your-Compass.html

16.5" threaded 9 twist compact 223? Hmmmm.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 08/28/20.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bought a used Tikka t3x in 6.5 c with Tikka rings $450 put a used 3x9 bushnell banner bc on it for $40 that cheap enough? What a lot of people need are used rifles without paper trails.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Bought a used Tikka t3x in 6.5 c with Tikka rings $450 put a used 3x9 bushnell banner bc on it for $40 that cheap enough? What a lot of people need are used rifles without paper trails.

What advantage is there to "no paper trails" unless you think that the firearm was stolen or if you are planning to commit a crime with it?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well Jeff I think americans who are legally able to own a firearm should be able to do person to person transfer without any paperwork or government approval whatsoever. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.