24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Does anyone have experience with using the Shooters World Precision powder as a Varget substitute?

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have some on hand, but haven't had an opportunity to try it yet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It seems to be good stuff,but I have only shot about 50 rounds with it out of my Rem 700 LTR 308.I have been using Varget info.Don`t know if that is Kosher or not but seems to be fine.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In a 24" 6.5 BRM, I tried matching three different Varget loads with SW Precision. All three were able to match velocity and accuracy -- though all three needed 0.1 to 0.3 grains more powder to duplicate the velocity. You get that much or more variation between different lots of the same powder.

Extreme spreads were even lower -- though truly by a negligible amount. Different readings on a different day may go the other way.

Also, using the same charge as Varget, while only minimally slower, still gave me the same stellar accuracy and was close enough that -- at least in my barrel -- one would not notice the difference within typical hunting ranges/situations with the 120, 129 and 130 grain bullets I tried.

So far, in my limited usage, it is a viable replacement -- at least for for this particular barrel.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
As I just noted in one of the .308 threads going on in "Ask The Gunwriters," IMR 4166 is also similar to Varget--and right now is widely available on the Internet, and on many sites on sale. In fact I am pretty sure 4166 was developed as a Varget approximation, back when Varget was also in short supply during the Obama buying panic.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Varget, as all Hogdgons, is no longer available in Europe due to some (stupid) regulatory issues, so I am looking forward to hearing from your experiences with SW Precision.

This is an easy to find proposition about 40-50% cheaper than IMR4166, therefore a good alternative to Varget. Here it is sold unde the original manufacturer's brand as LOVEX 062.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Alvaro,

Thanks for the info!

I know the SWP powders are Lovex, but didn't know how much more affordable they are in Europe. (One of the other reasons for the IMR Endurons is they pass those Euro-regulations..

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Alvaro,

Thanks for the info!

I know the SWP powders are Lovex, but didn't know how much affordable they are in Europe. (One of the other reasons for the IMR Endurons is they pass those Euro-regulations..

They are very affordable here in the U.S.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes, I know--for the same reasons some powders made in North America are more affordable here than over there: Lower shipping and import costs.

Have around eight varieties of SWP powders on hand, but only have enough time to test them as applicable projects come along.

John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I hope to find out in the next few weeks. I went looking for Varget and it was out of stock everywhere with a shelf tag price of $34.99. Precision was in stock at $24.99, so I may have a substitute at a generous savings. Waiting for the heat to die down to try out some .308W loads and maybe some 120 grain 6.5 Creedmoor loads.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I purchased a jug of Precision Rifle and tried it this weekend. I am shooting a 20" AR15. Load is 25.3gr PR behind a 69 gr SMK with a CCI 450 in LC cases.

First, the powder meters very well through my Uniflow measure and the loads I shot were measured not weighed. This charge filled the cases just above the base of the neck, so they were slightly compressed. The shooting weather was breezy and sunny 68*. I shot 10 rounds through the chrono with an average velocity of 2809 fps and ES of 36 fps.

I next shot a 10 shot group at 100 yds, prone position with a sling and iron sights. Eight rounds went into 1.25" with two fliers out to 2" (ugh), this is about as good as this old man can do.

As a preliminary test goes, this looks reasonably promising. I will chrono again in the winter to see how the load holds up in cold weather.

405wcf

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
405wcf, please do sounds interesting I run a similar rifle as yours and a comparable 5.56mm load with Varget

We deal in lead, friend.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 405wcf
I purchased a jug of Precision Rifle and tried it this weekend. I am shooting a 20" AR15. Load is 25.3gr PR behind a 69 gr SMK with a CCI 450 in LC cases.

First, the powder meters very well through my Uniflow measure and the loads I shot were measured not weighed. This charge filled the cases just above the base of the neck, so they were slightly compressed. The shooting weather was breezy and sunny 68*. I shot 10 rounds through the chrono with an average velocity of 2809 fps and ES of 36 fps.

I next shot a 10 shot group at 100 yds, prone position with a sling and iron sights. Eight rounds went into 1.25" with two fliers out to 2" (ugh), this is about as good as this old man can do.

As a preliminary test goes, this looks reasonably promising. I will chrono again in the winter to see how the load holds up in cold weather.

405wcf

Today I'm following up in cold weather. Temp this morning is 14*, sunny with no wind. Prior to shooting, rifle and ammo were placed outside for 2 hours to cool. I'm shooting the same rifle and load. I'm using the same CED chronograph with it sitting in the shade. I first shot just for chrono data. Each shot was single loaded to limit warming in the rifle prior to firing. The first three shots resulted in "ERROR" message. I may have been too close to the screens. Backed up to about 12' and got the following velocities: 2754, 2735,2714,2722,2749,2759,2776,2778, ERROR, and ERROR.

Hmm....that pattern looks abnormal to me. For what it is worth the average is 2747 with and extreme spread of 64. If the data can be trusted, I lost an average of 62 fps over 54*, or more than 1.14 fps per degree. The label on the jug states "Better temperature performance....than Varget". I'm not sure about that.

I next shot a ten shot string at 100yds using the same type of 100 yd reduced target as above. I shot prone position with sling and iron sights. I got a nice horizontal group, 3 1/2" wide x 1 1/2" high. This looks to me like poor shooting on my part.

My conclusion is that I am not confident in the velocity data I generated (gotta take the plunge for the Lab Radar). However, I do suspect that SW Precision Rifle powder is more temperature sensitive (at least in this application) than the manufacturer suggests. Shooters World tends to emphasize the use of PR rifle powder for the heavier bullets in 5.56 such as the 77gr which may result in better ES.

I will keep working with it to see what I can learn.

405wcf

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If one needs powder, and can find something, anything, that’s suitable, that’s about all there is to it.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

My conclusion is that I am not confident in the velocity data I generated (gotta take the plunge for the Lab Radar). However, I do suspect that SW Precision Rifle powder is more temperature sensitive (at least in this application) than the manufacturer suggests. Shooters World tends to emphasize the use of PR rifle powder for the heavier bullets in 5.56 such as the 77gr which may result in better ES.

Temp stability of powders have become a "thing" among handloaders (long range shooting has been a big reason) in recent times. A lot of powder manufacturers are now making that claim. My experience, and shooting with friends is that despite the claims their are a lot of powders out there that may be less sensitive to temperature than in the past but still exhibit temp sensitivity to some degree.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 01/23/21.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

405wcf

Today I'm following up in cold weather. Temp this morning is 14*, sunny with no wind. Prior to shooting, rifle and ammo were placed outside for 2 hours to cool. I'm shooting the same rifle and load. I'm using the same CED chronograph with it sitting in the shade. I first shot just for chrono data. Each shot was single loaded to limit warming in the rifle prior to firing. The first three shots resulted in "ERROR" message. I may have been too close to the screens. Backed up to about 12' and got the following velocities: 2754, 2735,2714,2722,2749,2759,2776,2778, ERROR, and ERROR.

Hmm....that pattern looks abnormal to me. For what it is worth the average is 2747 with and extreme spread of 64. If the data can be trusted, I lost an average of 62 fps over 54*, or more than 1.14 fps per degree. The label on the jug states "Better temperature performance....than Varget". I'm not sure about that.

I next shot a ten shot string at 100yds using the same type of 100 yd reduced target as above. I shot prone position with sling and iron sights. I got a nice horizontal group, 3 1/2" wide x 1 1/2" high. This looks to me like poor shooting on my part.

405wcf

Sounds more like RL-15 than Vargay...
I've got some 2000MR ifin you'd like to give it a shot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

405wcf

405wcf

Sounds more like RL-15 than Vargay...
I've got some 2000MR ifin you'd like to give it a shot.

Thanks for the offer AJ, but I'm set for now.

Make sure you see the sticky for the Michigan get together.

405wcf

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have not used any of the Shooters World Precision powder, but have used their Long Rifle powder. Tried in a 6.5 Creedmoor with some 129 Hornadys, and it worked very well. I was impressed, to say the least, and will definately use it again.

Last edited by JamesJr; 01/26/21.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Does anyone know if Precision has a pressure curve suitable for a Garand, an M14, or M1A?

Last edited by mark shubert; 01/26/21.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Does anyone know if Precision has a pressure curve suitable for a Garand, an M14, or M1A?

The Shooters World online manual shows a Garand load with Precision. Makes sense being practically the same burn rate as Varget. I am fortunate that a shop near me gets Shooters World powders straight from the company. They have almost always had stock on the shelf of each Shooters World powder. The price is also $8-$10 per pound less than Hodgdon/IMR. My only complaint about Shooters World is that they do not have a sub for the 4831 burn rate. They go from their 4350 powder to an ultra slow 50 BMG powder.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.