Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#15142727 08/17/20
K
kirt Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I’m looking to buy a double rifle as a gift. I have plenty of experience with bolts and shotguns but not double rifles. Looking for tips on good ones. Wanting to stay 20k and under. K guns and blasers look nice. Any suggestions? Thanks!

BP-B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
PM sent.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've owned a number of doubles. Mine have all been 9.3 or smaller and under $10,000. So no expert with the bigger bores or more expensive guns. Try to get together to a double rifle shoot and shoot a couple different guns. Short of that, go to some shops and shows and at least handle some. For the investment it will be time well spent.
Think about how you hope to use it. Dangerous game only, or mixed bag hunting, open sights or scoped or mixed.
I have decided that fit is critical. My current Chapuis fit me perfectly until I had some serious body repairs over the last two years. I've lost significant length of pull and whatever you call the space from your palm to the joint in your trigger finger. Now it is difficult for me to shoot it at all, let alone well, and the wood is just too ni kikce for me to chop it off and make it useless to anybody with a normal length of pull. So I'll probably be need to say goodbye to that one.
Single trigger or double trigger? Doubles are the classic, but i don't shoot them well, so I prefer single triggers. I like ejectors, others extractors. Old English or German, vs new? Lots of arguments for both.
If anything needs repaired on a double, you will need to allow time for repairs. Project doubles are like a free dog, expensive.
Doubles are fascinating and fun. Like bolt guns there are endless arguments about the perfect one. None of those arguments is all right or all wrong, just wonderful differences of opinion.
Just a few thoughts
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Bfly,
Have you tried switching shooting from the opposite shoulder?

I have switched from righty to lefty a couple of times due to eye operations and made it work.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
1. Blasers are an abomination and not real doubles.
2. Merkels have some doubling issues and although solid, pretty much a "low end" double which when you think about it, it's an oxymoron
3. Krieghoffs are well made, precise and tough. I wouldn't own one because of the cocking lever issue
4. Heyms are about as good as it gets, but esthetics are lacking in my opinion
5. Verney Carron (full disclosure, I own one) I did extensive research and handling of all of the above and without question is the best combination of value, form, fit and function and the strongest action.
6. don't know a whole lot bout Chapuis
7. Double gun market is depressed right now because of the Bologna virus, so all of the above can be had for that price, but for 20K, I'd also look hard at second tier English (used of course) double.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Kirt,
Both Bfly and Jorge have provided good information, so I will just recommend some modern research reading for you:
1. Read the Cal Pappas book, The Double Rifle Primer.
2. Look up on the Internet, the Ellis Brown Custom Shop. Buy and read the W. Ellis Brown book, Building Double Rifles on Shotgun Actions.

I know both of these gentleman shooters and they are quite knowledgeable hunters and shooters and know whereof they speak about double rifles.

Enjoy!

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Kirt, is the gift for you or someone else? Proper gun fit is much more important with a double rifle than with a bolt gun. If not you, is the intended recipient of normal dimensions? That said, for under $20K, I'd personally get a Verney Carron.

Last edited by Biebs; 08/19/20.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Cr,
I've had a lifetime of adventure with a lot of bad decisions and more good friends to hold my beer than I deserve. Recent work included right hand rebuilt, torn tendons repaired in my left arm and multiple fusions in my back, so both sides are less than new in the box. I need more work done to both shoulders and my back, but not sure I want to give up another year healing. It's too close to sunset to waste time.
Better living through chemistry, as DuPont used to say.
The good news is that I'm still pretty, have good stories and Xrays of nearly every bone in my body.

Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Kirt, that's a hell of a gift! Will be interested in your choice.

K
kirt Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Sorry forgot to include, not an extremely large caliber, a 375 HH or similar. Thanks

IC B3

K
kirt Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Jorge, do you know any available? I am from south ga.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kirt
Jorge, do you know any available? I am from south ga.

Any what available?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
How about something from Butch Searcy ?

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jmd025
How about something from Butch Searcy ?

I have handled them. Extremely well regulated, but they are even more ;lacking in aesthetics than the German stuff. way to "clubby' for me

K
kirt Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thinking of a pair of 375 krieghoff double for me and a friend, decent choice?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some thoughts:

- big +1 to everything Jorge said

- call Champlain Firearms and look at their inventory including British doubles

- there are 2 generations of Searcy doubles. Early ones were made on shotgun frames. Later versions on a CNC monobloc.

They are well made, and as Jorge said well regulated.

- caliber plays a big influence in price. 470 and 500s will be pricey. 450/400 are much less, but my favorite

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
762 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 90 invisible), 3,029 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.