-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This thread is hilarious to me, because IIRC several years ago I was scorned by the majority in a thread here on this forum for suggesting that maybe new shooters should be trained first with an auto, partly because modern autos were arguably just as reliable and partly because they are easier to shoot well. I still hold to that opinion. Nice to see more now appear willing to accept it.

Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
And if people are carrying Shields and LCPs, they’ve already accepted only having 5-6 rounds. There’s gotta be another reason for choosing a revolver.

I'll give you two. A revolver requires no confirmation of reliability with untested factory loads. It's not a common issue these days, but we still mostly recommend a chosen carry round to undergo the usual "200 rounds with no malfunction". And sometimes during ammo shortages, 38 spl is the only thing on the shelf.

Doesn't normally apply to you, me, or anyone else who takes gun carrying seriously - but those are legitimate reasons for some.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I tailor to the individual student...

The problem with most instructors is that come in with the preconceived notion that because it works for them it has to work for everybody...and that isn't only talking about guns, but about stance, grip, kind of sight, holster...

Most "instructors"(not) just let students keep shooting and shooting until they get it right....most never do. LE instructors, most of whom aren't much more than a range officer, just have an officer who fails qualification keep shooting time after time till they make it...why, because they have no clue how to analyze what the officer is doing wrong and show the officer how to correct it.

As to guns, between what I have and my friends will let me borrow, there isn't much one of my students can't try before they invest. I don't steer a person in any direction... The guns will disqualify themselves as too big, too small, too complicated, too much recoil and so on...

Just started last Saturday with two young couples two of whom are the children of two of my students from 15 years ago. They have already purchased their guns and made pretty sound choices...now it is up to me to optimize their choices...but they will learn the basics on a .22 revolver...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RJM
I tailor to the individual student...

The problem with most instructors is that come in with the preconceived notion that because it works for them it has to work for everybody...and that isn't only talking about guns, but about stance, grip, kind of sight, holster...

Most "instructors"(not) just let students keep shooting and shooting until they get it right....most never do. LE instructors, most of whom aren't much more than a range officer, just have an officer who fails qualification keep shooting time after time till they make it...why, because they have no clue how to analyze what the officer is doing wrong and show the officer how to correct it.

As to guns, between what I have and my friends will let me borrow, there isn't much one of my students can't try before they invest. I don't steer a person in any direction... The guns will disqualify themselves as too big, too small, too complicated, too much recoil and so on...

Just started last Saturday with two young couples two of whom are the children of two of my students from 15 years ago. They have already purchased their guns and made pretty sound choices...now it is up to me to optimize their choices...but they will learn the basics on a .22 revolver...

Bob

Good insight, Bob.
Having worked with the US Army Marksmanship Unit taught me the importance of having an instructor who can properly analyze what's causing an individual to shoot poorly and help correct it in a way that works for THAT individual.

Last edited by Triggernosis; 08/28/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't comment on what current instructor schools are doing. I can tell you that for the past 30 years, the better law enforcement firearms instructor development schools included shooter error diagnosis and correction as part of their curriculum. If you can't do that, you're not an instructor at all.

And I'll agree with the comments that the instructor has to take into account an individual's strengths and weaknesses when sorting out a problem. There are no one-size-fits-all Solutions

Last edited by SargeMO; 08/28/20.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Going with my usual concealed carry and larger and higher capacity backup weapon to simplify reloading when needed...or vice versa.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll go ahead and add my obligatory dissension.

There actually is a right way to hold a gun. There actually are better holsters and better sighting systems. There are outliers in anything. But there are ways to stand and hold a gun and look at a gun and handle a gun that work for 99.9% of the population, barring some bizarre physical deformity or disability.

A good instructor doesn't walk up to each student wondering what will work for them, because "do what works for you". A good instructor wastes his life away figuring out what's best so his students can skip to (near) the top of the mountain he had to climb without all that effort and heartache.

I've trained with some of the objectively best shooters on the planet and when it comes to how to stand, hold the gun, what sights to put on the gun, and how to look at those sights, they all agree. And it's not just wrong, it's irresponsible to tell Billy Bob from down the street that whatever crazy thing he came up is likely as good as what the best on the planet are doing.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

When the shooter chooses the proper tools for the job/mission, never violates safety rules and never misses the target at selected distances...*then* the "instructor" becomes superfluous.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
[quote=Triggernosis]

Then you may wish to consider much of your OP.

Do you have anything positive to contribute?

He started picking out his clothes this summer. 😂

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I'll go ahead and add my obligatory dissension.

There actually is a right way to hold a gun. There actually are better holsters and better sighting systems. There are outliers in anything. But there are ways to stand and hold a gun and look at a gun and handle a gun that work for 99.9% of the population, barring some bizarre physical deformity or disability.

A good instructor doesn't walk up to each student wondering what will work for them, because "do what works for you". A good instructor wastes his life away figuring out what's best so his students can skip to (near) the top of the mountain he had to climb without all that effort and heartache.

I've trained with some of the objectively best shooters on the planet and when it comes to how to stand, hold the gun, what sights to put on the gun, and how to look at those sights, they all agree. And it's not just wrong, it's irresponsible to tell Billy Bob from down the street that whatever crazy thing he came up is likely as good as what the best on the planet are doing.

Agreed

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
To Blue and JWP....not to get into it with you guys, again, but was just wondering...

Are you NRA certified instructors?

How many FORMAL certified classes have you been chief instructor for, done the classroom instruction or been on the line as an instructor...

Just wondering...Bob

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you really want to go down this road?

Are we talking EVER, or do you want a more recent number like “in the last five years”?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Do you really want to go down this road?

Are we talking EVER, or do you want a more recent number like “in the last five years”?

No, we don't don't want to travel down that road - we can stop at "are you an NRA certified instructor?"

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That is the question...are you an NRA Certified Instructor...

My number is 17929XXX...I know it by heart as I have put it on 1000+ certificates. I used to belong to a club that ran 4-5 Basic Pistol, 2 Basic Shotgun, 2 Personal Protection, one Basic Rifle and 2-3 Home Firearms Safety classes a year. 10-20 students per class. I was at every class except for some of the Basic Shotgun and Home Firearms Safety classes....

I was also a NRA Training Counselor for 8 years certifying instructors for the NRA...

In addition I ran 4-5 tactical shooting sessions a month from 1993 to 2013 at the same club and still run 6-8 classes a year to advanced students at a private range.

At another club I ran a women's only day long rifle/pistol/shotgun class every summer for 13 years...

Just started four new pistol shooters last Saturday...

...and you sir...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, I’m not. In fact, the notion that “NRA Instructor” is your standard is pretty amusing.

So I guess it would be good to do this. I’ll start working on my shooting related CV. You’re welcome to do the same and we’ll all meet here again this afternoon to measure cyber dicks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM
That is the question...are you an NRA Certified Instructor...

No, no, no.... you had several questions about how many classes and how many students.

Let’s all answer all of those.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are some very good instructor schools besides NRA, folks. FBI and the some military combat schools come immediately to mind.

Then there is the level of instruction... basic handgun safety instructor schools are not the same as law enforcement instructor schools.

Blue and I don't always agree but I'm pretty sure he is a LE instructor. He can answer for himself.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have questions too.

Were Ed McGivern, Jerry, Elmer, the Topperweins,Munden, Annie, John Wesley and Jordan trained by certified instructors?

Did Kareem take a skyhook course?

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
MO...with all due respect sir, we are talking about Basic firearms instruction, not advanced combat classes.

Ever been to the world class SIG Academy? The head of the Academy when it started out was Bank Miller...a friend of mine. I've taken the week long Tactical Pistol Instructor Course (Instructor level course to teach instructors how to transition officers from revolvers to semi-autos), Low Light Firing Course and their two day ammunition effectiveness class.

Over the years I had several of their Basic Pistol Students take the NRA BP Course...I noted that none of them were very good shots initially. One of the at the time "older" couples came up to me as raved that they could not believe they "had their own instructors" while on the line...I thought this was "odd". A few years later I found out why he had made this statement...

In 2013 one of my beginning tactical students opened Granite State Range in Hudson, NH. He wanted me to be his head of training and while I would have loved to take the job it was an hour and fourtyfive minute drive from my house and I didn't want to move to that area of the state. So instead I interviewed candidates for the position for him.

One of the guys was a sergeant for a local PD who was their chief firearms instructor and just happened to be an instructor at SIG on those weekends when all their big name instructors were off representing the company at shoots or trade shows. So I ask about the classes...9-16 students...he does all the classroom work... On the range...if they have over 10 students he gets an assistant!!!!! 10/1 student/instructor ratio... And that's why none of their people who came to my classes could shoot to the $150 they paid for the SIG class...

And it hasn't changed. Two summers ago a friend who helped out on the line at the clubs courses took his two daughters to SIG for their Basic class... On the range..9 students, one instructor. And the guns for these new students many of whom had never fired a handgun before... 9mm SIG pistols....shot about 50 rounds....really... Three hours in the classroom and three on the range. What they were taught was how to safely make noise... At $150 a piece.

The NRA classes...1/1 on line instruction. 100-150 rounds of .22 ammo and another 50 rounds of centerfire over the course of two days/16 hours for a whole $75.00.

Hope other big name academies are a little better....

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hawk...you are talking about the 1%ers... I'm talking about the other 99%...

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I know you are, but I think "fundamentals", while important, take a back seat to practice.

The 1% invented a lot.

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1minute, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,209
Posts18,466,141
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.