Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'd like to find an attractive thread protector for my CA Mesa. The muzzle brake is nice on my bad shoulder when sighting in and doing load development, but there's no way I am hunting with it in place. It came with a black knurled protector. The rifle is Tungsten finish. It's a 1/2x28 and .68 OD. I have surfed through quite a few sites and haven't found anything. CA doesn't have anything either. Any ideas?

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I don't know if you tried Brownells yet. They have a bunch of thread protectors listed.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Krylon

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I'd like to find an attractive thread protector for my CA Mesa. The muzzle brake is nice on my bad shoulder when sighting in and doing load development, but there's no way I am hunting with it in place. It came with a black knurled protector. The rifle is Tungsten finish. It's a 1/2x28 and .68 OD. I have surfed through quite a few sites and haven't found anything. CA doesn't have anything either. Any ideas?

Try these guys. If you don't find what you want send an e-mail and see if they can make it.

https://www.downrangeproductsco.com/product-category/handgun-barrel-thread-protectors/

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IMR4350
I don't know if you tried Brownells yet. They have a bunch of thread protectors listed.

I checked them out. They have the fugly knurled ones. I want it to look like it was made for the rifle rather than an afterthought.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by kwg020

Try these guys. If you don't find what you want send an e-mail and see if they can make it.

https://www.downrangeproductsco.com/product-category/handgun-barrel-thread-protectors/

kwg

Ditto, they have like 200 options....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

I had looked through their offerings. They have 50 1/2-28 rifle protectors. None of the smooth ones are of the correct diameter. I might order one just to try it out.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Paul,

In England, it's common practice for your gun/riflesmith to turn one when they thread the barrel to fit your sound moderator/suppressor. I have no doubt you could do the same over there as it's a straightforward turning job. See below.

Kind regards,

Tim

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have this one on my Ruger American.358 a Win. Nicely machined.
KAW Valley Precision

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tim1
Paul,

In England, it's common practice for your gun/riflesmith to turn one when they thread the barrel to fit your sound moderator/suppressor. I have no doubt you could do the same over there as it's a straightforward turning job. See below.

Kind regards,

Tim

Exactly what I want!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Alaninga
KAW Valley Precision

Pretty nice, but the OD is a bit too large.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 08/30/20.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Alaninga
KAW Valley Precision

Pretty nice, but the OD is a bit to large.

Yes. The run of Ruger American 358’s used the same muzzle thread as the 450BM barrels. The bore opening as well as OD are what they are, however I thought it was neat to obtain an affordable 358 alone much less one with a threaded muzzle.
I’ve probably strayed off your intent a bit. If you look at their website they have several sizes. Maybe worth taking a look.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There are thousands online. Someone is just seeking attention

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
This is who I use.
https://hughesprecision.com

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the responses so far. I am looking for one like our friend from across the Atlantic posted. I emailed Christensen and asked them if they knew of any. There are some in the links you provided that are certainly more aesthetically pleasing than the one that came with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IMR4350

I checked them out. They have the fugly knurled ones. I want it to look like it was made for the rifle rather than an afterthought.

They do have some smooth ones but they did not list your barrel diameter in black or stainless..

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Paul, you will probably need to have a gunsmith add the thread protector if you want it blended in. I had Karl Kampfeld add a muzzle brake and thread protector to my Tikka and I literally can’t see the line between barrel and brake/protector or even FEEL it once it is tightened down. I will take pictures later if you want.

My advice is to call Karl and ask about making a thread protector and blending it to your barrel. He is great to talk to and will tell you straight up what it will take/cost.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the heads up Dan.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
To get the fit that you want, you'll need to have it made and turned on your rifle. Go see a smith that you trust and trudge forward.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Ok, got some photos of the muzzle brake and thread protector that Karl made for me. This started as a regular Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .30-06. I called Karl about putting a brake on it and about fluting the barrel and/or bolt to save weight. Karl dissuaded me from getting the fluting if my goal was to save weight. His estimation for weight savings was in the 4 ounce range and it wouldn't be worth it for that little weight saved. On the subject of muzzle brakes, Karl makes 2 of his own design that he will put on. One is radial brake (which I got) and the other is a directional brake. For the Tikka sporter profile barrel he said he could machine and blend the radial brake to the same diameter as the barrel, but that the directional brake would be larger than the barrel (still blending where they join).

With that said, here are the pictures I took of the brake and protector on the barrel. I can just barely make out where they meet, but this is just hand tightening so I could swap them out. If I tightened either one down properly I am not sure the junction would be visible at all. And, even though it is visible in the photograph at 2x zoom, I can't see it with the naked eye and I cannot feel it either.

(Lots of Pictures here)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.