Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by justsaymoe
What is he doing with his left thumb on the wheel? Radio or trim?

What are they going to replace them with?

Trim. The E2 does not have counter rotating props and was very over powered. Whenever you added power, the nose would go up and right, the opposite when you reduce power. You had to use both feet, both hands and your thumb to keep everything smooth.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Amazes me how much they saw on the controls.
That one guy, working the yoke and throttle, looks like his hands are pedaling a bike.
Not criticizing, hell I have never ridden in a plane, just an observation.

Everyone focuses on the fighters, but is it actually harder or more dangerous in the
lower performance aircraft?

Riding bike is about right!

It is not any easier or harder, just different. The fighters are faster and more maneuverable. We were about 25mph slower but our roll rate was a lot slower too. We also had another pilot sitting next to us to help with checklists and radio calls.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That right there is why Air Force pilots can never claim to be as as good as Naval Aviators ! If you watch the full version of the video the wing skipper personally takes up a tanker and lands last. He sticks the landing like a boss !

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My uncle was aviation fueling crew on the Lexington and the Midway in Pensacola. He said plenty of the aviators pissed themselves on their first landing. I imagine the first landing is unnerving !

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dave, I believe the piloting skills are about equal between Navy and AF. Carrier ops are indeed a lot harder, but most rated military pilots could perform about the same, given the same training. That does not diminish the level of difficulty one bit, mind you. It's just that all military airplane drivers are pretty damn good. The weeding out process insures that. If you make it through training and pin on wings, you are the 1% of the 1%.

That's accurate, btw. About 1% of the population is military, and only about 1% of those become pilots.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This !!

Originally Posted by 12344mag
Balls of steel.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Dave, I believe the piloting skills are about equal between Navy and AF. Carrier ops are indeed a lot harder, but most rated military pilots could perform about the same, given the same training. That does not diminish the level of difficulty one bit, mind you. It's just that all military airplane drivers are pretty damn good. The weeding out process insures that. If you make it through training and pin on wings, you are the 1% of the 1%.

That's accurate, btw. About 1% of the population is military, and only about 1% of those become pilots.

You know what's crazy?

When military pilots get out....they normally are not qualified to fly firefighting missions.

Dont have enough time.

Just like most combat medics cant work as civilian EMTS or Paramedics until certification is granted.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Helicopter pilots either. The need a certain number of hours flying solo and firefighting plus a few other quals that aren't military missions. 4000+ hours to apply at my old department.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

My family bleeds Navy blue wink Naval aviators are better !!!

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N

Years ago when I was an instructor in the F-4 RAG training newly winged Naval Aviators in the fighter mission we had an Air Force exchange crew, a major pilot and a captain WSO. There was always the the good natured back and forth you get between services but both were good guys to have in the ready room and very professional. After they had been there a while, the CO asked them if they wanted to go to the boat. Both said “sure”.

They went through a full carrier qualification work-up with all the “bouncing” just like a RAG student would. When it came time to go to the boat they did very well during their day traps. After they got the required day traps, the CO asked them if they wanted to go at night. Their answer.......”No thanks Skipper; daytime was good enough for us”.

As an aside, in the F-4 there was a nose gear extension system to get a good attitude off the cat and you held full back stick during the cat shot as well. Both were designed to get the jet to rotate at the end of the cat. Then you had to relax the back stick “just a bit” 😀 to keep from over-rotating. Our squadron rep up in the tower got a photo of the Major’s first cat shot when he was just a teeny bit too late relaxing the back stick. Their attitude was high enough that you could see both their helmets in the photo. We did some trig and figured it was about 45-50 degrees up. You can bet we never let them live that one down 😀

Last edited by navlav8r; 08/29/20.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You realize what that tale of the night trap offer proves, don't you? That AF pilots are as skilled as Naval guys - but have MUCH better judgment.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
You may have something there Rocky 😀. We have a couple of Air Force and Air Guard guys that work with us in the simulator building and I’ve shown them what it looks like at night. The simulator is VERY realistic in the visual appearance and it still makes my palms sweat. They’ve all said, “that’s crazy!”
The night traps just make you appreciate how much easier it is during the day. 😳

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
So at the end of part 2, there is no CAP over the carrier?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
CAP is not always airborne. If in an area where there is a real threat, there will probably be other aircraft from another carrier to provide CAP.

In ‘86 while things were leading up to the attack on Libya, there were three carriers involved. Our “fly day” went from noon to 0400 the following morning. We were flying three times a day, with two at night. When we weren’t flying the other carriers were. Even with that, our squadron had two crews in aircraft spotted on the catapult ready to go, two more crews suited up in the ready room ready to go too and two other crews standing by. Our sister squadron was doing the same. It was planning, fly, eat or sleep and not a whole lot of sleep. I was “Ops O” and felt lucky if I got four hours sleep.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it boils down to being a product of your training no matter what service branch..99 % of our air time was dusk to dawn because we didn't know anything different..Our crew was constantly on frequency with RO's on the ground requesting vectors/headings for 0-dark 30 engagements..

SOP's ? More than often not applicable, after awhile it's a gut feeling since most likely it mirrored another fight...

I'll take landing at 80 kn on a mostly lit 10K runway over a night carrier trap anytime just can't imagine any of you guys had fingernails !

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You realize what that tale of the night trap offer proves, don't you? That AF pilots are as skilled as Naval guys - but have MUCH better judgment.

laugh grin whistle

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

F
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
F
Frigging Kenny Loggins ruins it for me every time I watch one of these types of videos.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

laugh grin whistle

Naw...they’re just pu$$ies. 😮😁

Just kidding. We make a good team. 😀

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

480 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,837
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.