Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Does anyone fill the uprights any longer?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It has been a long long time but our silo,like most, was next to the barn.The milk inspector decided that wasn't sanitary for a diary and we had start doing a trench silo.

Most farmers and ranchers I know use trench silos too. Easier to move the ensilage with a front end loader. A lot less labor intensive all around. A lot of them dump it in a grinder and mix some form of forage with it,

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, sure.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
We sold our last 2 upright silos about 5-6 years ago. When we sold the dairy cows in 2011 we started filling bags for the beef cattle as it was much easier to feed out of the bag when cattle were outside. We figured it was better to get a little money for the silos instead of letting them deteriorate and fall on the barn.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A lot of the Amish and Mennonites here still use them. Most of them don't have tractors with loaders, so they can't use the trenches. I can remember when there was a lot of corn here that was chopped for silage. Not so much anymore.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by JamesJr
A lot of the Amish and Mennonites here still use them. Most of them don't have tractors with loaders, so they can't use the trenches. I can remember when there was a lot of corn here that was chopped for silage. Not so much anymore.

We use to chop sweet corn when it got little too old to eat, but we planted more than we could ever use. Then cut alfalfa and put in layers with the corn in the silo. We would mow the alfalfa, rake it that day then bale the next morning. Take it right to the chopper.Those green alfalfa bales were heavy and two boys had a hard time throwing them on the wagon

We never had a loader. We wheelbarrowed it from the upright silo to the alley way between the stanchions.When we had to go to the trench silo, that meant pulling the wagon to the trench, shoveling it on and , hauling it to the barn, and then wheelbarrowing it in. Twice a day in the snow got old real quick.Especially when we had to do it and the milking before school.

It sure made good milk and I think the cows were drunk all winter

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/31/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I fill 4 upright silos and 2 pits. I like silos, just go out and flip the switch.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A friend grew up farming outside of Wichita. They had two silos glass lined. Don't know how common they were.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Mike, AO Smith Haveststores? Blue color?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don’t know. They are no longer on his family farm.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Spent time hauling wagons and blowing silage into uprights while I was in HS.

In college, we filled a couple at the beef barn with haylage. Spent more than a few days in those working on the unloader in the 90+ degree high humid midwest summers.

Still a fair number of harvestores being used around the country.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can remember as a kid in the middle 80's filling the concrete upright silo a few times, but eventually dug a pit in the hillside to use instead. Uncle bought grandpas dairy after it had sat idle for 15 years in the early 2000's, he just packed it in a pile at ground level or bagged it. He sold his cows a few years ago. I think dad is still picking up bag remnants that blew over to his place from not being disposed of....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 2,087 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.