Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Frankly I don't know why one would bother at this time. Let the countries sort themselves, whether you like it or not. I have a fairly high dollar northern BC hunt that has been deferred from a week ago now for a year later. I'll be there next year.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
BP-B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Again, I personally like to gather as much information as possible before traveling abroad. Although, I am ( not planning on any travel anytime soon) it's good to listen and share.

When the time comes and the restrictions are lifted I plan to travel thru the areas mentioned, at least the Alaskan Highway.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by castnblast
Check out the current regulations regarding USA citizens travelling through Canada to and from Alaska. The border is currently under Covid-19 restrictions, and so normal travel is NOT allowed. Because there have been so many abuses of the exceptions Canada allowed for USA citizens direct travel to/ from Alaska, currently any US citizen traveling through Canada must declare their intention to travel straight through to Alaska, without side trips or sight seeing stops, and the vehicle will be registered in a police database and identified with a special tag system. Time limits are enforced. Abusers have recently been fined and may be jailed. Don't test the patience of the Canadian border police until your COVID 19 cases are under control.

I heard/read travellers abused the Canadian rules and were caught visiting Banff and Jasper. Rules changed right after that.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
Again, I personally like to gather as much information as possible before traveling abroad. Although, I am ( not planning on any travel anytime soon) it's good to listen and share.

When the time comes and the restrictions are lifted I plan to travel thru the areas mentioned, at least the Alaskan Highway.

We call it the Alaska Highway. It's generally pretty boring really, as far as Whitehorse, which is as far as I've gone on it.. Straight, Paved. There is a section of the old highway you can drive on, all weather gravel with lots of curves .

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The ALCAN can be a beautiful trip especially if you can reference some of the history or take the time to look for wildlife.

JO'C hunted out of Buckinghorse River Country on the benches of Muskwa and Prophet River where the Chadwick Ram was taken.
He also hunted in the Kluane Country with the Jacquot Brothers out of Burwash Landing.

Read Alaska Yukon Trophies Won and Lost before you travel and you'll be amazed at some of these hunting trips the old timers
did prior to the Alcan construction.

I know of no other area in NA with as many diverse species of game as the Toad River Country. Goats, stone sheep, mule deer, whitetails,
moose, caribou, elk, black and grizzly bears are present with woods bison nearby. Hot springs are numerous in that area.

The side trips to Skagway and Atlin are great and always make the loop from Whitehorse to Dawson and to Tok on Top Of The World.

I live at the end of the Alcan and I've driven it several dozen times and never tire of it.

I'd hoped to drive the Eastern portion of the Robert Campbell Highway this year but I'll have to try next year.

And always read Robert Campbell's Yukon.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
VernAK

Read Alaska Yukon Trophies Won and Lost

Thanks, for the book tip.

Downwind,

I don't think I would be bored, "lifetime experiences".

Thanks, people.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Funny, it's never called the Alcan, always the Alaska Highway in BC. There is a section south of Ft. Nelson, it's worth while dong just to get a feel for what the highway was like after they finished it, before all the straightening and paving. We hunted elk in there. Given the choice, if we have time we travel highway #37, the Stewart Cassiar. It borders the Alaska panhandle. Guys at work got a couple of Alaska moose from that area, over 250# a quarter .

Last summer, 2019, we did the Dempster highway, from just south of Dawson City, Yukon into the Northwest Territory and then up to the Artic Ocean at "Tuk"

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
A family friend helped built that highway about the time I was born. He had a lot of tall tales about that. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The original highway was built with curves where they didn't need to be, so that military convoys could not be easily strafed by Japanese fighter aircraft. To emphasize the driving experience on the original very curved and sinuous highway, and for nostalgia I offer this bit of graffiti humour:

Winding in, and winding out,
Leaves my mind in serious doubt,
Whether the lout who built this route
Was going to hell, or coming out!

Last edited by castnblast; 09/03/20.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't buy that about the curves, the section south of Ft.Nelson is a long way from the coast. However there is spring in that section that is famous as mix with whiskey.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's a wonderful drive. But if you haven't done it while it was all still gravel road, you don't know about the curves. It has been tamed considerably since the pavement, sometimes in the 70's and 80's

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by castnblast
The original highway was built with curves where they didn't need to be, so that military convoys could not be easily strafed by Japanese fighter aircraft. To emphasize the driving experience on the original very curved and sinuous highway, and for nostalgia I offer this bit of graffiti humour:

Winding in, and winding out,
Leaves my mind in serious doubt,
Whether the lout who built this route
Was going to hell, or coming out!

castnblast;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the summer has been a good one for you folks in Saskatchewan and you all are well.

My family drove the Alaska Highway up to Whitehorse somewhere in the early '70's.

We were in a passenger car, pulling a pop up style trailer with the tiny wheels they had back then. I still have no idea how they made it up and back!

Anyway it was all gravel then as I recall and very much a winding road for sure.

The verse you quoted was on a little wooden tourist plaque that Dad bought in Whitehorse, so any time someone mentions the Alaska Highway it's the first thing I think of!

Oh, back then there were still some trucks and large equipment that must have either broken down or been abandoned when it was completed.

Thanks for taking me back down a road in my mind I might not have otherwise sir. All the best to you all and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We drove it in the mid '80s, it still had sections of gravel. But that section of curves is still there, it's used as an oil patch road. I'm from BC, with all the mountains, we have lots of curves on our forestry roads, but that section was ridiculous.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A shot from the aircraft with the wrap of my hunt with Stone Mountain Safaris circa 2008 on the ALCAN just outside Toad River.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Is the sign on the old section: "FREE ROCKS - Take Some Home", still there?

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
This guy pushed it a little too far - it looks like it is going to cost him some serious money,

https://www.travelandleisure.com/tr...eaking-canadian-coronavirus-restrictions

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A few always spoil it for everyone;

https://apple.news/AEhORY0GMTR-FmjXRGzXCyA

Ted

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
139 members (10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 12 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.