Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Spotted a 12 gauge bolt action shotgun for sale today.Anyone know about these? Value? MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen 20 ga before, but never a 12. The owner said he paid $100 in 1994 or so.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Obviously I can't speak to something I haven't laid eyes on, but once I spied one of those contraptions that had the front lugs ground off (I guess to create clearance for the 12 gauge shell to enter the chamber, by removing the lug seats too), lockup for the shotgun relied entirely on the bolt safety lug....

Not saying they were all done like that, but I would look carefully at how they shoehorned a 12 gauge shell into a M98 action before going any further in a deal.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've read that it was a common practice long ago when there were gazillions of cheap Mausers, many probably crude war-time production models or with bad bores. Cheap Marlin, Mossberg, and JC Higgins models probably made them less attactive.

I shot my very first ringneck with a 16ga Higgins. That one had a tubular magazine like a pumpgun, not the cheesy boxes of later models. My uncle could flip that bolt pretty fast, fast enough to get a couple birds from a flush.

Last edited by Pappy348; 07/18/20.

What fresh Hell is this?
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 16 Ga. versions retain some of the front lugs, the 12's rely on the "safety" lug. Most commercial bolt action 12's do. I re-barreled a 16 for a customer, he lives in one of those states where its shotgun only and shoots slugs. The heavy barrel takes recoil nicely!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Took a quick look on GB. The Higgins guns are listed at about $250, too rich for mere nostalgia, and I lack both a truck or a barn, so that "use" is out.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks guys, I went back to look again. The action is very smooth operating, frt lugs both there but the lug seats are milled out,safety lug in rear ring is the lockup.might be enough but not for me. Appreciate the advice. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty sure the econo-guns I mentioned lock only on the root of the bolt handle, and those probably aren't forged in one piece either.

How much was this relic you uncovered?

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Pappy, they wanted $299 for it.you need a phone number for a contact? MB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned several of the Mauser 16ga Geha shotguns. If I remember right, the bolt face with extractor was removable, but I can't remember how it was attached.
The follower and the spring were also modified somewhat, and the magazine would only hold two rounds.
I did shoot one of them---remotely at first, and it shot and felt good. (in other words it didn't scare me)
As far as any of the many bolt action Mossberg/Stevens/ etc. there are still quite a few of them around. Some were tube fed and some had magazines. They are well built and back in the 80's I would drill and tap them if needed to make coyote and fox guns for the local varmint callers.

I just remembered there is a 16ga Mossberg mod. 190 clip feed shotgun with a poly choke for sale for $100.00. in Northern Montana. I was eyeballing the mate to it in 410, but I see it is gone.

PM me if you want to know more about it.

How are you doing Bart?

Ken

Last edited by kennymauser; 07/20/20.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kennymauser

How are you doing Bart?

Ken

Hanging in there Ken. I managed to get 6 projects done, but added 158 projects to the list. My list is now at 14,276!!! I should be knocking them out in no time!

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Y’all talking about those post WWI "Geha" shotguns ????? Cousin brought one back from Europe at the end of WWII. A 16 ga. it was. Gave it to my grandpaw. It burned up in my uncle’s old 71 Dodge pickup in like 1984. I remember it as a kickin’ sumbiotch!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The GEHA guns and others with other trade names were made right after WWI when there were tons (literally) of M98 Mausers in Germany and it was illegal under the Versailles Treaty for most German citizens to possess military rifles. So their dying gun industry started making everything useful that they could make from Mausers and Mauser parts. GEHA-type shotguns were one such item, and were made in all the common guages.

There has been DECADES of discussion on whether they should be fired (starting when they first came on the market in all the big catalog/"wish books," the "online marketplace" of the 20th century--those and "Shotgun News"--remember that?"). I won't rehash all that, google "Geha shotguns" if you wish to.

But I would point out several things. 1) 1920s shotguns in Europe and even in the US often had shorter chambers than we presently use, and using the slightly longer modern shells in them does raise pressures some. 2) Shotguns with rifle stocks ARE kickin' SOBs. 3) The smaller the guage a GEHA-type shotgun is, the more likely it is to have some safety margin because less of the locking area had to be milled away to fit the smaller guage shells into the action. So if you have a .410 (never saw one), a 28 (ditto), or a 24 (seen only one and findin' shells is a serious task), you are runnin' with a better safety margin, at least. Just sayin'.

Controversy aside, LOTS of people used GEHAs their whole lives and lived to tell the tale. Sometimes the gun for you is the one you can afford.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Local friend has a 16. Says they were produced during an interval when the Germans were not supposed to be building rifles. Just a repurpose of the actions. No markings, however, on this one to indicate gauge.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I saw a number of old surplus 16 ga Mausers for cheap at gun shows 10 years ago.

Anything authentic and German would not be cheap if they had not made a lot of them.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recall seeing them at gun shows years ago. Started to get mildly interested until a friend who's a lot more savvy on stuff like that than I am told me about how they were just repurposing stuff back then and it was all done cheaply just to be able to sell them. Not a death trap but not much of a high end gun, either. I would have consulted him before buying one anyway but he was right there next to me at that dealers table.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't imagine that they kicked at all. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (257robertsimp, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 338Rules, 13 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 765 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,237
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.