Print Thread
Hop To
L
LouisB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
It as a dinky one lane county and then our driveway that was just a little smaller two track looking like it lead off to some farm field.

One heard tractors, cows, horses, donkeys and in the spring, lovesick peacocks . . . that about covers then.

Now for some reason we can hear traffic on the interstate . . . even though it is a good distance away

And NOW every . . . . EVERY DAY a ^^^%$#@#big commercial sized lawnmower.

AIN'T in the country any more even though there are deer and turkeys in the front yard every day!

Heck one good thing to hear is the buzzing bees at the humming bird feeder.

Have not seen/heard a bee in several years! Maybe they are coming back!

Did I mention the %%$#@!@#%^ lawnmowers every . . . . EVERY day!

What's changed at your place over the years?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I just had one place past mine before the road ends.

But those idiots sold 50 acres to some city slickers... It has been non-stop traffic, construction, noise, etc. since then.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still pretty quiet where I am. I'm a half a mile from the highway, and that same distance from any other houses. A couple of times a year, I'll smell the manure that the Mennonites a few miles down the road from me are spreading. I kind of like the solitude.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Our place has corn on all four sides. Wife says we have been “cornintined” all summer. They will probably start shelling next week so our view will improve.

Last edited by skinner; 08/29/20.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm 60+ years old, still live on the farm I grew up on.
I notice the lights.
As a kid I could count the dd lights visible at night on one hand.
We don't have true nightime darkness anymore.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Well.....they put up a cell tower years ago.

There is a bright light on over at the oil field now. Thats 4 or 5 miles away.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
All these people moving out here, first thing they do is put a dusk to dawn big light up like they are afraid of the dark. Across the county road, a half mile away, there use to be 600 cows grazing there.Now they grow 8 houses per acre.Same county road is paved now and I hear morning and evening rush hour traffic.

I guess I was part of the problem. When I moved here in 76 there were four other homes on 1200 acres. Now there are 195. The bank would not give me a loan because they said it was too far out and would never be worth anything. We were 25 miles from town.Now I have two Home Depots and three Walmarts within 12 miles of me

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/29/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
L
LouisB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
First close neighbor we had put up one of those night lights.
Private, not power company owned.

I contemplated how something might damage it some night while he was in town!

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by skinner
Our place has corn on all four sides. Wife says we have been “cornintined” all summer. They will probably start shelling next week so our view will improve.

My neighbor rents the cropland on my farm, and we have corn on two sides of us every other year............crop rotation, you know. Wife hates it, says she feels "smothered" because she can't see across the fields. I'll admit that I like it better when the fields are in wheat, then soybeans after the wheat is harvested, because I can keep better tabs on things. But, he's paying me top dollar on rent, so I tell him to do what he wants, just as long as he doesn't scatter chicken litter on the fields around the house.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (21, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 2003and2013, 68 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.