Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Leave this Tuesday, the 18th, for another AZ bowhunt. This time up in the Williams area. Last January was in the Buckeye area for desert muley. Had a couple almosts on that trip, hoping to punch my tag on this one. Not as prepared this time, was busy with elderly parent stuff and yesterday, we buried dad. So this is my "dad" trip, he started me big game hunting over 50 years ago now! Lots of mountains, hills, plains... covering most of the US and Canada and I'll keep going for as long as I can! Hoping to post back some pics of a nice buck still in velvet, but really looking forward to being up in the mountains and having another hunt!

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 08/16/20.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good luck to you. Utah archery open yesterday and it’s really hot. Deer are in the deep, dark, nasty stuff. Be safe...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get 'er done! A post some pics.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dean, I’m sorry to hear about your Dad. This sounds like a good trip in his memory, be safe, stalk them like you mean it!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Find you a water hole and sit!

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by GregW

Excellent advice, thank you, and definitely on the to-do list. I'm also bringing my old Primos Double Bull ground blind for a just in case. I usually try to make a natural hide out of what's available where I'm at, but sometimes that doesn't always work out.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GregW

yep

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Got back yesterday from my AZ trip. Hunted units 8 and 10. No animal, but did have a good time. The hot weather (every day over 100 degrees), the daily afternoon thunderstorms (got pounded with hail one day), and the high number of other hunters due to other units being closed because of the fires, made for some really challenging hunting. But saw some quality shooter bucks, just couldn't get close enough. Saw an incredible number of elk (they were everywhere), even got treated to some bugling and cow calls. Also saw all kinds of antelope, javelina, quail and coyotes. One diamondback rattler encounter and one tarantula too. Ran into some other hunters that were great guys and some others that weren't. Hopefully, I'll be able to go to AZ again, really like it out there. Almost get mesmerized watching the big storms coming in and then realize that I better get my rain suit on! Lol! Lightning pounding down all around me, temps going from the low 100's to the mid 60's really fast, getting lumps on my head from the hail, the incredible mud in unit 10... the sunrises and sunsets... the cool nights... the incredible scenery... Got close to deer a couple times, one stalk got me to within 45 yards of a group of 4 bucks, one of which was a 165" or better, but a little spike ended that stalk. Saw about a 180" buck, but so did another guy and he went after it hard and spooked it to the next unit, oh well. But in the end, I'll do it again! Looking forward to more seasons opening up this fall. Happy hunting to all, be safe! Dean

NRA life member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 11point, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 68 invisible), 2,764 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,628
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.