Campfire Regular
G
Details please.

BP-B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That to me would be akin to hunting prairie dogs with a shotgun, however, if the timber were thick enough, and shot close enough, it'd be a hell of a lot of fun, but packing a 10 to 13 lb expensive double on an elk mountain, never mind the butchering and pack out, plus the chance of a horse/mule wreck, i'll stick to my stainless/cerakoted syn stocked rifles for elk work, they're cheap, soulless tools that can easily be replaced.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gies, my elk hunting days were over before I got my first double but, if I were to go again there is a pre-WWI, Vierordt double in the toy box that has been re-chambered to 8 X 75R Brenneke that would be my first choice. At 7 1/2 lbs. it's a far cry from 10-13 lbs. and it wasn't nearly as expensive as a guided elk hunt would be. When we lived in Wyoming and I was hunting elk I carried my Shiloh Sharps Montana Roughrider in 45-90, without a sling, and it does weigh 10 1/2 lbs. Using the Vierordt would be a pleasure.

Big bore, dangerous game doubles need that much weight but even a good vierling, (as if there was any other kind), in a cartridge adequate for elk won't weight much more than 8lbs., scoped. If one chooses to scope a double and has the right load, those who demean the accuracy of a good double at 200-300 yards don't know what they're talking about. They won't shoot with a finely tuned bolt rifle but they're MORE than accurate mor "minute of elk. And, everyone's tastes are differnt.

Last edited by sharps4590; 08/29/20.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
G
Gies340 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Gunner - understood and I guess that is part of why it seems unusual.

Sharps - Thanks for the note. That sounds like a fun rifle. I won't likely get to the dark continent but assuming I do, I'd like to be able to handle a double with some experience. And, I've been lucky enough to get a few elk so hunting with a rifle that would limit range and success over the long range rig isn't a huge deal. Of course I say that and then will see a 400" elk at 350 yds the first time I would pack an open sight double, lol.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
In my dreams, I do. Something like a 30/40 Krag loaded with 200 or 220gr Partitions.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I would have thought it would be one of life's great experiences...until a couple weeks back when the illuminati cogniscenti of the 'fire determined that the .22-250 was the ultimate deer cartridge and a couple weeks before that, the .243 was the ultimate elk cartridge. And woe be unto any bumpkin who would claim otherwise. But then, perhaps you could have your doublegun sleeved down to a caliber approved by the wise ones.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It would be great sport. Think of it like bowhunting...purposely using a weapon that requires that you get within smelling range of your prey. Sounds like fun, although for Gunner500 it might be a bit much; carrying a heavy rifle, 2 flasks of Jim Beam, and a 6-pack up in the mountains :-).

Last edited by Biebs; 08/29/20.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gies, it is fun and a fine rifle as well. It was something of a challenge finding a load that regulated, given the re-chambering and lack of data. When I did find the right combination it was well worth it. Off a proper double rifle standing rest I had several left/right combo's slightly above or below 3 inches at 100 yards, open sights. I had one group of barely over 2 inches but I know darn good and well that was just a fluke. I worked it up to 2600 fps for a 200 gr. bullet and that's plenty. Amazingly it held pretty good regulation from about 2200 to the 2600 mentioned. For what hunting I'll be doing I run it between 2300/2400. It does have claw mount bases and I have the rings as well but haven't found a proper, pre-war German scope to my liking. I've never worked with a scoped double and I'd kinda like to, one time. They just don't look right with a scope screwed to them.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Red deer are almost elk size and a 300 grain .405 bullet will stop them in their tracks - bang flop! Guide said this one was a 300 pounder! Still eating on it!
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Simson & CO Suhl .405 WCF double.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Red deer are almost elk size and a 300 grain .405 bullet will stop them in their tracks - bang flop! Guide said this one was a 300 pounder! Still eating on it!

Simson & CO Suhl .405 WCF double.

For sharps45-90, Picture of scoped double with Talley QD rings that clamp onto grooves in the rear rib, giving same view as through express sights:

Last edited by crshelton; 08/29/20. Reason: add pic

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I still think we need a "like" button. Thank you Mr. Shelton! Nice Simson too, btw.

I hadn't looked for a vintage German scope in a while so after posting the above, I went looking for one. I found a 4X with post reticle and bid on it. I was the only bid and the auction ends today so.....maybe I'll have a scope for it!!

Last edited by sharps4590; 08/30/20.

NRA Benefactor 2008

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I hunted Red Stag in Oz in the Brisbane valley in heavy brush country with a Rigby Double. Ended taking one that hunt with a Rigby 275 on the last day, but had a nice 5x5 cold at about 20 yards trotting slowly past me with the double right on him. The guide said "why didn't you shoot?", I responded, "You never told me to shoot". (As instructed) Great memory though.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I used my Merkel .450-400 3" Nitro Express to shoot a bull elk last September. I was preparing for a hunt in Namibia for Buffalo and wanted to get some real experience with the rifle. It is equipped with a scope, and will group 6 shots, three from each barrel in 5CM at 50 meters. The elk was way off across a hayfield, and so I called it in to about 130 M and took a broadside high lung shot. It was a very foggy morning and when the elk dashed away I was worried I'd messed up the shot. I found it dead about 200 M away from the spot where it was when shot, hung up in some thick spruce saplings with a couple small chunks of lung hanging out of the exit hole. Ammunition was the new Hornady DGX bonded. I think it was an example of a bullet just too tough to produce a quick kill even with good shot placement. The rifle and ammo went on to produce a quick kill on a cape buffalo a few weeks later.

Attached Images
IMG_0465.jpg (9.71 KB, 341 downloads)
Last edited by castnblast; 08/30/20.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Biebs
It would be great sport. Think of it like bowhunting...purposely using a weapon that requires that you get within smelling range of your prey. Sounds like fun, although for Gunner500 it might be a bit much; carrying a heavy rifle, 2 flasks of Jim Beam, and a 6-pack up in the mountains :-).

LOL, you left out the saddle and pack frames! ; ] grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Gies340
Gunner - understood and I guess that is part of why it seems unusual.

Sharps - Thanks for the note. That sounds like a fun rifle. I won't likely get to the dark continent but assuming I do, I'd like to be able to handle a double with some experience. And, I've been lucky enough to get a few elk so hunting with a rifle that would limit range and success over the long range rig isn't a huge deal. Of course I say that and then will see a 400" elk at 350 yds the first time I would pack an open sight double, lol.

Guess when I hear double I immediately think 500 Nitro and up, my little 303 British double is certainly capable of 150 yard hits, the 215gr Woodleigh leaving at 2163 fps may indeed take a bull elk at that range.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have a friend here in Montana who used a .470 Nitro-Express on several elk--until as he aged a little (he's maybe 3 years older than I am) got tired of packing it's weight around in the mountains. He then sold it and bought another really nice double in .333 Jeffery, which weighed a LOT less, and used that for a few years.

I have a 9.3x74R Thieme-Schlegelmilch double .(T-S was a top German firm that went under during WWII.) It weighs 8 pounds and have packed it around during both spring bear seasons here in Montana, and in fall. So far it has only taken a mule deer doe--which worked out great because a 286-grain Nosler Partition at 2400 fps ruins almost zero meat. And I know from considerable experience with other 9.3 rounds that bullet will penetrate more than enough on any angling-away timber elk. Might just take it for timber hunting this fall....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I used to have a William Evans double in 450/400 3 1/4 Nitro Express. Used it on a couple cow elk in heavy timber in my native CO. I handloaded it with 400 gr Woodleighs and it tipped elk over real nice. In a serious case of advanced stupidity I sold that rifle.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
G
Gies340 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Need some photos. Bump...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,699 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.