Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
A buddy of mine breeds Pudelpointers. He is big into the field trials and so on. I am not. Just a hunter in need of a do it all dog. Upland, small game, waterfowl, driven game and tracking.

Primarily I would use the dog for waterfowl and tracking.

He has a one year old male that has been going through training primarily for upland. I am told he shows potential as an all around dog.

Anybody hunt this breed? Experiences?

I don’t want to take a good dog and turn him into a pet because I tried to have him do too much...

Semper Fi

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have owned and hunted a Pudelpointer, hunted/trained/tested with scores more, and have owned several German Wirehair Pointers which are closely related. They are considered to be "do all" breed though that does not mean every dog can do every task equally. I use my dogs for most of the tasks you mention except for driven game. I'm not sure what you mean by that but if you are thinking hound work then I would pass as I haven't had any versatile breed sound off when on a trail. For tracking wounded game, that trait would be discouraged as it may get the quarry up and moving again after laying down.

I chose the versatile breeds as they do a good job on most tasks though aren't masters of any. I switched from labs to wirehairs as I wanted a pointing dog that could also handle waterfowl. The various versatile breeds have been able to fulfill the vast majority of my waterfowl needs with the exceptions being marking more than 2-3 downed birds is iffy, not being as quick and responsive as a lab with hand Signals, and my not liking to use them on divers in big waters when rough. The latter is more a mental block for me than a physical problem for the dog. I do my water work with a retriever club so have the tools and expertise to draw from to get the most out of my dog's potential in that area.

As a tracking dog, a Pudelpointerpointer should do well with a little encouragement and direction. Mine was expected to track down winged birds which can end up in some long chases with pheasants. I didn't use him for tracking deer as I had a hard time breaking him from chasing though he did find a bear or two.

I did not encourage my versatiles to hunt small game animals as the versatile have a high drive to kill vermin and it would distract them when bird hunting. In addition, more than one of the dogs would have eaten any rabbit or squirrel I any rabbit or squirrel they were sent to retrieve. The degree of sharpness would depend on the line and the dog but all of mine woul gladly maul a squirrel or rabbit given the chance.

Depending on your needs and desires, the Pudelpointer may be a good fit for you. I don't think it would be a poor choice but maybe not the best. Talk to your buddy more on your expectations and get his thoughts. If you can talk to others that own or use versatile breeds that would be helpful too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a fan of the breed, but Hank is my first and the only "bird" dog I've ever had. Getting him to retrieve was easy, just something he took to and he very much digs the water. I haven't done much tracking training, so can't/won't comment on that. I'll echo wm81's last paragraph.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have seen Pudelpointers during NAVHDA events.

Their owners really liked them. With the pandemic going on, I'm not sure of the schedule for NAVHDA right now, but if you get to go to an event, you'll meet some cool dogs (and people) and get to see some versatile pups in action. It's kind of like cub scouts for dogs...owners show up to train their dogs in a field environment or run a test with mentors who have have trained dogs before.

YMMV,

L.W.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
I have owned and hunted a Pudelpointer, hunted/trained/tested with scores more, and have owned several German Wirehair Pointers which are closely related. They are considered to be "do all" breed though that does not mean every dog can do every task equally. I use my dogs for most of the tasks you mention except for driven game. I'm not sure what you mean by that but if you are thinking hound work then I would pass as I haven't had any versatile breed sound off when on a trail. For tracking wounded game, that trait would be discouraged as it may get the quarry up and moving again after laying down.

I chose the versatile breeds as they do a good job on most tasks though aren't masters of any. I switched from labs to wirehairs as I wanted a pointing dog that could also handle waterfowl. The various versatile breeds have been able to fulfill the vast majority of my waterfowl needs with the exceptions being marking more than 2-3 downed birds is iffy, not being as quick and responsive as a lab with hand Signals, and my not liking to use them on divers in big waters when rough. The latter is more a mental block for me than a physical problem for the dog. I do my water work with a retriever club so have the tools and expertise to draw from to get the most out of my dog's potential in that area.

As a tracking dog, a Pudelpointerpointer should do well with a little encouragement and direction. Mine was expected to track down winged birds which can end up in some long chases with pheasants. I didn't use him for tracking deer as I had a hard time breaking him from chasing though he did find a bear or two.

I did not encourage my versatiles to hunt small game animals as the versatile have a high drive to kill vermin and it would distract them when bird hunting. In addition, more than one of the dogs would have eaten any rabbit or squirrel I any rabbit or squirrel they were sent to retrieve. The degree of sharpness would depend on the line and the dog but all of mine woul gladly maul a squirrel or rabbit given the chance.

Depending on your needs and desires, the Pudelpointer may be a good fit for you. I don't think it would be a poor choice but maybe not the best. Talk to your buddy more on your expectations and get his thoughts. If you can talk to others that own or use versatile breeds that would be helpful too.

Pretty well stated by this guy. I hunt and hang w the Drahthaar crowd. Similar but not the same. I'd rate all the German type versatiles a bit higher for tracking, as the nose is beyond stellar. They just have to know what you want and blood is different than deer. If that is a Top 3 desire, work on from Go. When we put on our Tracking collars and toss out a long line.....the dogs flip a switch and know they are to Track....or should.

Echo the same.....driven deer hunts I would guess a very niche dog thing. I would strongly attempt to Pass on that aspect.

Woods...I feel the same on Big Water work on the ducks. I have both a Chessie and a Drahthaar.....I so wish I could squeeze all aspects of the Draht into the Chessie platform. Be MY Utopia dog.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
PP's can hold their own in most any hunting situation, train them to waterfowl and you won't be disappointed. I've mostly hunted upland with mine, but she's picked up a few ducks for me. Keep in mind they are a very intelligent, high energy breed so need lots of exercise and mental stimulation. Do your research on the breed and get involved with your local NAVHDA chapter, then go kill some birds with him.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Not happening with this breed! Very driven!! Join NAVHDA for training clinics.
Originally Posted by haverluk
A buddy of mine breeds Pudelpointers. He is big into the field trials and so on. I am not. Just a hunter in need of a do it all dog. Upland, small game, waterfowl, driven game and tracking.

Primarily I would use the dog for waterfowl and tracking.

He has a one year old male that has been going through training primarily for upland. I am told he shows potential as an all around dog.

Anybody hunt this breed? Experiences?

I don’t want to take a good dog and turn him into a pet because I tried to have him do too much...

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Wow! I appreciate all the information. I will look up the local NAVHDA chapter and see if I can get involved with them. I made the agreement with my buddy. Panzer will be coming to me at the end of November. I really won’t need the dog to do everything. I was asking what the breed was capable of from the experience of other guys that have owned or hunted them.

Semper Fi

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Wow! I appreciate all the information. I will look up the local NAVHDA chapter and see if I can get involved with them. I made the agreement with my buddy. Panzer will be coming to me at the end of November. I really won’t need the dog to do everything. I was asking what the breed was capable of from the experience of other guys that have owned or hunted them.

Awesome, what a handsome fella! My wife wants our next one to be black, though its a bit of a crap shoot when the litters come. Put the time into his training and he'll do what you ask.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dandy looking dog! I've never seen a black one. Good luck!!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I only use mine for upland. He is great on woodcock but the grouse here don't hold for a pointer.

Mine is a smooth coat and would take another the same if I needed another. I don't think I would look for another breed after this one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ryoushi
Keep in mind they are a very intelligent, high energy breed so need lots of exercise and mental stimulation.

OP needs to keep this statement in mind. I'm not sure they would do well if left alone for long stretches through the day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I only use mine for upland. He is great on woodcock but the grouse here don't hold for a pointer.

Mine is a smooth coat and would take another the same if I needed another. I don't think I would look for another breed after this one.

Great looking dog!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Good looking dog. I have a griff( really like the breed) and debating now between , or a PP.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ribka

Good looking dog. I have a griff( really like the breed) and debating now between , or a PP.

I really like the smooth coat on mine. He's always clean, sheds very little, requires no grooming at all and in 7 yrs I've never seen a flea on him. There are other similar versatiles but the coat on this one has me sold. The longer wirehair coat on the PP is the norm for the breed. IIUC, one cannot register a litter from a PP without a beard.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
This is funny Matt. Just got on the bird dog forum and saw this post. I've had pudelepointers for years. Go check out Cedarwood Pudlepointers. Bob Farris really knows his stuff. But his book. It's a really great resource.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I get the poodle part, but type of pointer???

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
German wirehaired

Semper Fi

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Reba
I get the poodle part, but type of pointer???

German wirehaired

Wrong on both accounts fellas. Unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation about the breed floating around out there and the name doesn't help any. The "pudel" was a German water retrieving breed that is now defunct. The "pointer" comes from English pointers. Pudelpointers have been around since the 1880's and are a base breed for the German wire haired pointer breed.

Heres a couple good rundowns of the history of the PP.

http://cedarwoodgundogs.com/history.asp

https://projectupland.com/hunting-dogs/pudelpointer-the-complete-versatile-hunting-dog-history/

The last thing the PP breed needs is backyard breeders looking to make a buck by cross breeding "poodles" with GWP's or GSP's and calling them "pudelpointers". It happens and is detriment to the breed. If you're looking to get a PP, PLEASE buy one from an accredited breeder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Panzer looks great. Had him out any yet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 46 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,778
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.