Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Just wondering which boots you prefer. I'm going to KS this December, so I expect cold days and plenty of dew in the mornings. I'm thinking leather might not be waterproof enough, and I don't want to wear rubber boots if they can be avoided. So, which boots should I look at. Price is not a consideration. Thanks for your replies.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've used Danner Grouse (https://www.danner.com/men/hunt/grouse-8-brown.html) boots for the past 5 or so years and they're perfect for pheasant hunting in my area. Plus, they are USA made.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
For anything but hunting big game in the mountains, I like the Danner Hood Winter Light:

https://www.danner.com/catalog/prod...E-KDG6wIVAe21Ch28-gAzEAAYASAAEgJAmfD_BwE

H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks for the replies.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I presume you're not exactly roughshooting on this trip. No need to over think this. Any boots you'd wear at home will likely be plenty good. I have a pair of Meindl hikers I wear most often. Keens or Merrills would be fine as well. They're light and water proof and if I need more I step up to a pair of stitch down 8" Danners and more than that is Schnee pacs. You are unlikely to need more than the hikers and if you took gaiters along just in case, I'd think nothing more would be necessary.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gumleaf boots
You'll never go back to leather.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
95% of my upland hunting is western Kansas pheasants. Typically so dry you can’t even spit. Also have hunted more than once where $20 at the car wash was a good start.

The only time I wear rubber anything is when it is actually raining or just finished. Dew on the grass doesn’t effect my leather boots.

I’ve worn out Danner Pronghorns. They were comfortable for sure. But only held up a few seasons.

Current main boot is an American made Danner, all leather, no insulation, discontinued, but similar to Grouse Hunter. It’s held up well for several years.

If it’s completely dry, I’ll wear my work boots, Thorogood moc toe wedge sole. No insulation. No gore Tex. No issues.

I won’t wear less than a 9” boot. 6” boots don’t have enough height and enough gusseted tongue to keep weed seeds out of my socks.

H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks men. Going to look at some danners in the days ahead.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If the boot is "waterproof" enough to keep out water it's going to be "waterproof" enough to keep in persperation. No matter what you do your feet are going to get wet. I wear whatever boot is comfortable and lightweight as fatigue is more of an issue than dampness to me.

Most of my synthetic boots have Gore-Tex or similar material but that is not something I look for. Leather boots get a treatment of Sno-seal as it helps protect against weathering. If it's fairly dry I wear two pairs of thin moisture wicking socks or if wetter a pair of the moisture wicks and a thin Gore-Tex sock. Doubling socks provides protection from blisters and abrasions which can be had with poorly conditioned leather boots. The Gore-Tex socks don't exclude moisture but it does ease in making it a little less noticeable at first. No matter what, I have at least one extra set up of socks to switch into at some point. Generally, that is the halfway point but if it is warm and sunny I'll switch socks when I switch dogs or hunting spots. Leave the worn pair someplace they get the sun so they can dry and I'll switch back into them at the next break. Depending on how wet the areas you are hunting, one can even dry wet boots out in a few hours.

Almost forgot- as mentioned tall boots and gaiters are very helpful too. They help shed wetness and debris as well as prevent fraying of pants cuff season and cuts and tears to the shins of both pants and legs. Keep extra laces or a length of thin par accord or leather handy as some gaiters clip onto the bottom of the laces to prevent the gaiters from ridining up. This clip can wear through laces if there is a rough edge. The laces can also be used to replace the strap that goes around the foot to hold the gaiters down when that wears out.

Last edited by woodmaster81; 09/02/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If it is relatiavely dry then most times it will be Solomon 4D 3gtx...most comfortable boot I've found so far...

Wet or cold then one of the new fitted rubber boots...either Muck or Lacrosse Alphaburley...un or insulated depending on how cold...

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I live and hunt in Kansas. I wear Danner Pronghorns for all my quail and pheasant hunts. Haven't had a problem with moisture.

Be careful on the Kansas "roads" after snowmelt or heavy rain!

F
F
I like the Muck Wetland model. I use them for everything from deer hunting to small game. Easy to take on and off and fairly lightweight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I hunt in snow the most and personally would not wear rubber boots though I have Schnees pac’s. I wear the relatively inexpensive Rocky Mountain Hikers from Cabelas (though I do not shop Cabelas anymore) for from mule deer and elk to pheasants on the plains. I’m on my third pair in about fifteen years. They are Gore-Tex lined but uninsulated.

I don’t find the lug Vibram soles any disadvantage on the prairie soils as is often stated.

I rarely get cold feet but do have a pair of the much more expensive Browning kangaroo skin upland boots — very light though insulated and GT lined — but rarely wear them though they are also comfortable.

I find good gaitors will greatly lower the temps your feet can tolerate; in fact, they are almost too warm for me unless I’m in deep snow and in the -20* and lower temp range.

But feet are important and what works for each varies widely.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I actually wore snake boots last year in South Dakota. I wore them a bit loose and they worked great.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Bring a good set of gaiters too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use either my normal Lowa Hunter GTXs (with gaiters if there's snow) and a good coat of wax or just plain muck boots. I've never had an issue with good fitting muck boots on late season pheasant hunts. Grass and seeds may fall in from the top since I tuck my pant legs in, but that's a non-issue, for me at least.

H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks for the additional comments.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've had these browning goretex boots for 10 years. I don't use them except for one or two Upland trips a year. I just finished putting some waterproof wax on them, so they darker than they really are.

I wish I could remember what the model is, but boy they are great boots. Not mountain boots, for great for beating around in crp and brush.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

9er Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a pair of wood n’ stream moc toes that have performed extremely well with regard to being waterproof. Traction can be a little sketchy with the wedge sole though. Not sure if you can still find the wood n’ streams but thorogoods replacements (flyways) should be even better. I run their work boots as well and they are top quality.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

These are waterproof Oboz. Best hiking shoes made, and some great boots. I have worn Danners and many other brands over the years, but they get left in the closet now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
732 members (10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 73 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.