Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I turned in my resignation today and will enter the ranks of the retired on September 11. I hadn't planned on retiring this early but I came to the conclusion I cannot buy these years back. My wife was diagnosed with early onset dementia last year. Not real noticeable yet to most, but I see the progression. I want to spend time with Etta while she is in reasonably good physical health and before this insidious disease takes it toll and we cannot do and enjoy the things we've always loved.

There will come a point when I have to care for her daily. Maybe in a year, maybe in ten years. That's the reality of dementia. I didn't want to work up until that point and then regret missing these good years when we could enjoy being together. It will be a big change but we are in a pretty good place financially. I'll still do some fill in work for the company and still have my credentials as a firearms instructor and wildlife intervention instructor and will do classes from time to time for the company.

And I have the sawmill. I'm looking forward to the freedom to run it without the demands of a full time plus job. It has turned a pretty good bit of business for me already this year. The beauty of the mill is it doesn't call me on my off time. It doesn't text me with the latest emergency as I'm walking in the church doors Sunday morning. And it doesn't mind if I want to take a day off to spend it with Etta.

So retirement here I come. I wasn't sure I'd actually get to this day.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good on you Mart. I wish you two many happy days.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Congratulations! Enjoy YOUR time.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Congratulations. You've earned it, and I hope you enjoy it as much as possible.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Good luck.

Glad you can spend some time.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Enjoy your time together. Retirement is a start not an end. Edk

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think that’s a good decision .

Happy Trails

Bob

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You both need to go knock out some bucket list sightseeing destinations.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Wish i would have done that years ago now. Didnt want to quit seeing patients i had seen for years and considered as friends. Didnt trust other eye docs to take care of them. Eye docs are sometimes a crazy lot. Exept for me, of course.

Now i fear i dont have what it takes to do the fishing i worked to retire to do. Theres another eye doc in town needing some help. Ha. Poor bastid. Wonder if i should go help him out.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A decision, I too would make, if ever faced with same.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Congratulations...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sorry to hear about your wife. Hopefully with the advances in medication, the onset will be postponed as long as possible. Good job regarding your priorities, I admire that! Enjoy your retirement!

Last edited by Ben_Lurkin; 08/31/20.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Good decision.

Enjoy, and best wishes for Etta.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Good man.
Good decision.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mart
I turned in my resignation today and will enter the ranks of the retired on September 11. I hadn't planned on retiring this early but I came to the conclusion I cannot buy these years back. My wife was diagnosed with early onset dementia last year. Not real noticeable yet to most, but I see the progression. I want to spend time with Etta while she is in reasonably good physical health and before this insidious disease takes it toll and we cannot do and enjoy the things we've always loved.

There will come a point when I have to care for her daily. Maybe in a year, maybe in ten years. That's the reality of dementia. I didn't want to work up until that point and then regret missing these good years when we could enjoy being together. It will be a big change but we are in a pretty good place financially. I'll still do some fill in work for the company and still have my credentials as a firearms instructor and wildlife intervention instructor and will do classes from time to time for the company.

And I have the sawmill. I'm looking forward to the freedom to run it without the demands of a full time plus job. It has turned a pretty good bit of business for me already this year. The beauty of the mill is it doesn't call me on my off time. It doesn't text me with the latest emergency as I'm walking in the church doors Sunday morning. And it doesn't mind if I want to take a day off to spend it with Etta.

So retirement here I come. I wasn't sure I'd actually get to this day.

I'm so sorry about your wife. I will pray for her recovery.
I just spoke about that issue to a group, some of which know they have early stage dementia, at an assisted living home. .....so I can sympathize.

With the Lord's help, I was able to see a complete reversal of a family member's dementia. He went on to live independently for two more decades. That's all I can say online, but wanted to encourage you.
She is blessed to have a husband like you.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 08/31/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good decision and best of luck

1Minute
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Brazos
Good decision.

Enjoy, and best wishes for Etta.

Indeed.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mart, I am very sorry to hear about your wife having dementia. I know what it means as my wife suffered early onset Alzheimer's disorder, also. I wish you and your wife the very best.

I suggest you get a copy of The 36 Hour Day book. It is extremely helpful, written by two medical people who have dealt with dementia patients for some time. It certainly helped me when things became more and more difficult.

Best of luck.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Best wishes to you and Etta. We only get one turn on this merry go round of life. Seek your happiness.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't think of a better reason to retire, than to spend more time with family. God bless you and yours.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 56 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.