Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Jake needed some parts for the Deere chopper. Nothing in the state of Iowa the Deere dealer could find.

Jake Googled up this place in Rock Valley, Iowa, and called them. A two hour drive but faster than waiting till tomorrow.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I think the bill was several hundred dollars cheaper.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Get you a can of Fluid Film when your at the JD dealer. It is ideal for your mixed material application.
https://www.fluid-film.com/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That looks like it's built to last

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
With the cost of new, a fellow has to patch up the old. laugh

W
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
W
Aftermarket, that’s the polite way of saying pirate. My company fights pirates all the time. Sure the parts are cheaper but if you call me for tech support, the first thing I do is look up your account, if you aren’t buying from us, enjoy your cheap part and broke machine.

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Aftermarket, that’s the polite way of saying pirate. My company fights pirates all the time. Sure the parts are cheaper but if you call me for tech support, the first thing I do is look up your account, if you aren’t buying from us, enjoy your cheap part and broke machine.

I get what you're saying but sometime OEM is flat out rape. For instance, trying to sort through some fuel related issues on a Yamaha 115 four stroke outboard. Factory mechanical fuel pump $220, high pressure fuel pump $370, injectors $160 ea. GTFOH with those prices. Bought a mechanical pump for $50 and entire set of injectors for $38 off Amazon. Some of us don't have an open checkbook to buy OEM parts. Maybe if their parts were more affordable and easily obtained we wouldn't have to resort to buying aftermarket.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
..... but if you call me for tech support, the first thing I do is look up your account, if you aren’t buying from us, enjoy your cheap part and broke machine.

That's one way to assure that you'd never get a dime of my business again and everyone I know would know about it. Keep that business practice up and eventually you won't have any, enjoy unemployment.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The chain with chair links, and belt held with bar stock, what is it used on! I'm familiar with the chain with flights, bolted to the chair links, for product moving! The chain i am used to is usually 160 and 140 size chain! That looks to be about 100 chain! Curious about the chain!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The chain with chair links, and belt held with bar stock, what is it used on! I'm familiar with the chain with flights, bolted to the chair links, for product moving! The chain i am used to is usually 160 and 140 size chain! That looks to be about 100 chain! Curious about the chain!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
One of the plants I used to inspect made different bearing products.

I mentioned the cost of two pillow block bearings on something I had just made.
He laughed and said, "just be glad the were painted FFFF gray, not JJJJ green, they would have been twice as much."

Only difference was the paint on the paint line for the days production.

I have to say that is a really interesting shipping case for that chain.

Last edited by LouisB; 08/31/20. Reason: add statement

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
..... but if you call me for tech support, the first thing I do is look up your account, if you aren’t buying from us, enjoy your cheap part and broke machine.

That's one way to assure that you'd never get a dime of my business again and everyone I know would know about it. Keep that business practice up and eventually you won't have any, enjoy unemployment.

Damn straight!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Opportunity for parts dept to make a sale.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
W
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
W

People who buy on price alone will always buy on price so really we were never going to get your business. My company pays for the r&d. Do you think that is free ? I can diagnose anything from hydraulic issues to electrical issues over the phone. I can mentally tear that machine apart in my head and tell you how to put it back together.
Do you think I work for minimum wage ? Fixing stuff in person is one thing, fixing over the phone through the eyes of someone that couldn’t spell PLC or hydraulics is a whole different level. Now add to that the language barrier. That cost has to be borne somewhere.

It’s kinda easy to charge half of what OEM price when you don’t have the Engineering and customer support Cost.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

People who buy on price alone will always buy on price so really we were never going to get your business. My company pays for the r&d. Do you think that is free ? I can diagnose anything from hydraulic issues to electrical issues over the phone. I can mentally tear that machine apart in my head and tell you how to put it back together.
Do you think I work for minimum wage ? Fixing stuff in person is one thing, fixing over the phone through the eyes of someone that couldn’t spell PLC or hydraulics is a whole different level. Now add to that the language barrier. That cost has to be borne somewhere.

It’s kinda easy to charge half of what OEM price when you don’t have the Engineering and customer support Cost.

I see what you are saying. Expertise isn't cheap.

But not sure I agree with that business philosophy.

My equipment and tractor dealer parts dept. offers me an aftermarket part when looking up something I need. Not only that, but they tell me whether the aftermarket is as good as, or sub-par to the OEM part.

That difference can be several hundred dollars.

Love my dealer. Wish I'd started buying equipment from them several years ago.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Hey Richard—you guys ever have to pour babbit bearings on any of your machinery?
I had a diesel mechanic checking out a 471 Detroit in a commercial fishing vessel. I mentioned that the stabilizer bearing on the 2 inch shaft needed replacing. He didn’t know what I was talking about.
Me and a old sawmill worker gonna pour a new one this afternoon.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
The big equipment companies sub contract a LOT of parts.

If you buy aftermarket.....you are probably buying from the same supplier.

Just without the 1000% markup.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad

I get what you're saying but sometime OEM is flat out rape. For instance, trying to sort through some fuel related issues on a Yamaha 115 four stroke outboard. Factory mechanical fuel pump $220, high pressure fuel pump $370, injectors $160 ea. GTFOH with those prices. Bought a mechanical pump for $50 and entire set of injectors for $38 off Amazon. Some of us don't have an open checkbook to buy OEM parts. Maybe if their parts were more affordable and easily obtained we wouldn't have to resort to buying aftermarket.

I understand where you are coming from. I am a consumer just like you. I just happen to see both sides from a very close vantage point.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Karl, I have not heard of pouring a babbit bearing for years.

Back when Noble was going great guns in Sac City, Iowa, they some made parts for the big machinery companies.

I've been told by shop foreman they call around to price parts other places, and stay competitive

Parts they call a closed item like a crankshaft that can not be bought elsewhere is where they really clean house on the costumers.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Oh, the belt, chains are on a three row John Deere chopper corn head.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Let’s see, guy on phone that knows what a door handle is for your 2000 GMC, OEM replacement cost $95.00 or spend $8.95 on aftermarket handle

https://www.amazon.com/Handle-Inter...&hvtargid=pla-682598551564&psc=1

Whose money do you want to spend? His or yours.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

413 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 36 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,373
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.