Campfire Kahuna
W
It's called free enterprise.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wife is getting a new hip installed at this moment. OEM parts unavailable.

My shoulder, her hip. We gonna be the titanium twosome...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Let’s see, guy on phone that knows what a door handle is for your 2000 GMC, OEM replacement cost $95.00 or spend $8.95 on aftermarket handle

https://www.amazon.com/Handle-Inter...&hvtargid=pla-682598551564&psc=1

Whose money do you want to spend? His or yours.

Nice try but not even close to the same scenario.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Let’s see, guy on phone that knows what a door handle is for your 2000 GMC, OEM replacement cost $95.00 or spend $8.95 on aftermarket handle

Be specific. $86.00 seems like a large disparity between OEM and aftermarket.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I sense a little bitterness..

Do you work on commission?

Lol.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Nope it isn’t. I bought a brand new (not reman) Made in Arkansas aftermarket starter for a 04 Grand Cherokee for 65 bucks. Cheapest OEM remanufactured was 193.00 plus core. Big difference.

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LouisB
One of the plants I used to inspect made different bearing products.

I mentioned the cost of two pillow block bearings on something I had just made.
He laughed and said, "just be glad the were painted FFFF gray, not JJJJ green, they would have been twice as much."

Only difference was the paint on the paint line for the days production.

I have to say that is a really interesting shipping case for that chain.

Can remember when a valve lifter with a Chevrolet part # could be had for little over a dollar. The same lifter with a Cadillac part number was $5

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I needed a electric window button assembly they were over $100.00 from GM. I bought on line for $18.00 from china... the one I took out was made in MEXICO AND ONLY LASTED 2 YEARS... the one from china is still working 8 years later... the Dealer woulden't replace it , said there was nothing wrong with it when I took it in for repair...He is a liar.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Nope it isn’t. I bought a brand new (not reman) Made in Arkansas aftermarket starter for a 04 Grand Cherokee for 65 bucks. Cheapest OEM remanufactured was 193.00 plus core. Big difference.

I am talking about support along with the part purchase. Call that place you bought the starter and ask them to spend 2 hrs on the phone to help you remove and replace it.
I have worked on these machines since 1993. When the customer talks to me, they know I am not reading out of a book. I have spent hours on the phone with a customer tearing apart the machine and helping them put it back together. I know everyone on here is a crack mechanic so that portion has little to no value. It cost the customer $160hr labor and 85/hr travel plus expenses for me to show up onsite. 8hr minimum if I get on an airplane. That comes out to about $3000-$3500 for one 8hr day onsite. To them, the phone support is factored into the part price and if needed, is well worth it.

And no, I don't work on commission. I am just an hourly employee.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If the OEM gets arts are so great, why am I replacing them?
Sometimes OEM makes sense. Many times it does not.
My wife has 130k on OEM Honda brake pads. An aftermarket set will last her about two oil changes.
An OEM fuel injector for my Tacoma was going to be about $300. The $50 one from eBay squirts fuel just fine.
Somehow I got by without phone support both times.

Last edited by gregintenn; 09/01/20.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Swiftly, you need a calculator. The OEM part was over 10X the cost of the aftermarket, and that is a big difference.

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I am talking about support along with the part purchase. Call that place you bought the starter and ask them to spend 2 hrs on the phone to help you remove and replace it.
I have worked on these machines since 1993. When the customer talks to me, they know I am not reading out of a book. I have spent hours on the phone with a customer tearing apart the machine and helping them put it back together. I know everyone on here is a crack mechanic so that portion has little to no value. It cost the customer $160hr labor and 85/hr travel plus expenses for me to show up onsite. 8hr minimum if I get on an airplane. That comes out to about $3000-$3500 for one 8hr day onsite. To them, the phone support is factored into the part price and if needed, is well worth it.

Good for you, but the guy answering a phone for a part that is 10X the cost of the competition, isn’t worth the price of a cup of coffee. You must live in Fantasy Island if you think counter help makes any measurable difference. Most businesses today have such a ridiculous litany of phone prompts that a real person is as close as Mars. When you finally get that person, they are from Pakistan or Nigeria.

Pass me the aftermarket and hold the OEM.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Good for you, but the guy answering a phone for a part that is 10X the cost of the competition, isn’t worth the price of a cup of coffee. You must live in Fantasy Island if you think counter help makes any measurable difference. Most businesses today have such a ridiculous litany of phone prompts that a real person is as close as Mars. When you finally get that person, they are from Pakistan or Nigeria.

So do you get help changing out that starter for the price you paid ?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Aftermarket, that’s the polite way of saying pirate. My company fights pirates all the time. Sure the parts are cheaper but if you call me for tech support, the first thing I do is look up your account, if you aren’t buying from us, enjoy your cheap part and broke machine.

Bad attitude, Wally. I spent more than a few years in the biz, Ford dealerships and the aftermarket as well. Parts sales are a big part of dealer income and buying parts from a dealer gets expensive real quick.

So, up yours.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

My guess is you started out at a parts store out of high school and found contentment there. Ambitious? Not really, but someone has to answer the phone.

Meanwhile, the proliferation of aftermarket parts tells a bigger story you don’t get. Your advice on the phone may be comforting, but I would also guess it means more to you than it does to all the people that put those parts in a car.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

LMAO, took 20 min to put it in. Works just damn dandy after 18 months.
What’s your specialty?
I worked on Siemens, GE Fanuc and AB. SCADA applications for water systems, high speed cartoners, film wrap, shrink wrap bundlers, conveyors, stretch wrappers and whole bunch of other sh*t someone else fugged up.
But thanks for the attitude.

Swifty
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

LMAO, took 20 min to put it in. Works just damn dandy after 18 months.
What’s your specialty?
I worked on Siemens, GE Fanuc and AB. SCADA applications for water systems, high speed cartoners, film wrap, shrink wrap bundlers, conveyors, stretch wrappers and whole bunch of other sh*t someone else fugged up.
But thanks for the attitude.

No attitude here, just the way business works. I promise you, if I wasn’t courteous, polite to the customers, as well as knowledgeable, I wouldn’t have lasted 20 yrs and counting.

My life also revolves around unphucking things up. Sometimes it is in person, sometimes it is on the phone.

Machine repair , hydraulics, electrical 24vdc controls. AB , Siemens 3ph

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

My guess is you started out at a parts store out of high school and found contentment there. Ambitious? Not really, but someone has to answer the phone.

Meanwhile, the proliferation of aftermarket parts tells a bigger story you don’t get. Your advice on the phone may be comforting, but I would also guess it means more to you than it does to all the people that put those parts in a car.

If that was directed at me, you don’t know what you don’t know.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

If that was directed at me, you don’t know what you don’t know.

Of course not, but I’ll bet you didn’t have a football team on the campus of the college you attended to get your degree in counter intelligence.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Aftermarket, that’s the polite way of saying pirate. My company fights pirates all the time. Sure the parts are cheaper but if you call me for tech support, the first thing I do is look up your account, if you aren’t buying from us, enjoy your cheap part and broke machine.

I get what you're saying but sometime OEM is flat out rape. For instance, trying to sort through some fuel related issues on a Yamaha 115 four stroke outboard. Factory mechanical fuel pump $220, high pressure fuel pump $370, injectors $160 ea. GTFOH with those prices. Bought a mechanical pump for $50 and entire set of injectors for $38 off Amazon. Some of us don't have an open checkbook to buy OEM parts. Maybe if their parts were more affordable and easily obtained we wouldn't have to resort to buying aftermarket.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 54 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,329
Posts18,468,550
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.