Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I need some clarification: Do the various models of the Ruger Hawkeye rifle in .375 Ruger caliber have a total capacity of 3 or 4 rounds? That is 2 in the magazine plus 1 in the chamber for a total of 3 or 3 in the magazine plus 1 in the chamber for a total of 4. I have searched Ruger's website and they just state capacity as being 3 without elaboration. 2+1 just does not sound right. I'm thinking about a new rifle and really want something controlled round feed, seriously weather resistant, and in .375 Ruger caliber. I like the Winchester M-70 Extreme Weather version, but it does not come in .375 Ruger. Montana Rifle Company's offering was looking very interesting, but I've heard they have had some serious quality issues. They may not even be in business anymore, I'm not sure.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
BP-B6

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The Guide Gun and FTW models I have had in 375 Ruger were both 3+1.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Good deal. That is what I was hoping for. I just could not imagine these would be a max 3 capacity rifle.

I see by your reply that you have had experience with both the Guide Gun and the FTW models. What is your opinion about the muzzle brakes and the stocks on these two models? I am thinking that I would prefer a synthetic stock, such as a Bell & Carlson. From what I can tell, Ruger does not offer such with either of these models. I could always change out the stock after purchase if I had to, but I would prefer to get what I want to start with. Your thoughts about the stocks? What did you like and not like about the two models? Thanks!

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Three rounds down in my .375 GG, as well. But it's snug. I chamber the top round and call it good. Don't like snapping the extractor hook over a rim. Supposedly OK to do?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
3 + 1 in my Ruger Alaskan....

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Henryseale
I need some clarification: Do the various models of the Ruger Hawkeye rifle in .375 Ruger caliber have a total capacity of 3 or 4 rounds? That is 2 in the magazine plus 1 in the chamber for a total of 3 or 3 in the magazine plus 1 in the chamber for a total of 4. I have searched Ruger's website and they just state capacity as being 3 without elaboration. 2+1 just does not sound right. I'm thinking about a new rifle and really want something controlled round feed, seriously weather resistant, and in .375 Ruger caliber. I like the Winchester M-70 Extreme Weather version, but it does not come in .375 Ruger. Montana Rifle Company's offering was looking very interesting, but I've heard they have had some serious quality issues. They may not even be in business anymore, I'm not sure.
...........Montana Rifle Co is kaaa-puuut. May re-organize at some future date but who knows..... Winchester it appears will always chamber the more traditional older round like the 375 H&H and not deviate into a round like the 375 Ruger. Too bad imo. I guess they figure that the 375 H&H is all they need for Winchester rifle buyers who seek a 375. Savage chambers their 110 Bear Hunter in 375 Ruger but no controlled round feed. One of Savage's better looking rifles imo.

Looks like you either go with Ruger or go with a build to get a CRF action. Check with Gunbroker frequently to see if any 375 Ruger Montana rifles might be for sale.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Good deal. That is what I was hoping for. I just could not imagine these would be a max 3 capacity rifle.

I see by your reply that you have had experience with both the Guide Gun and the FTW models. What is your opinion about the muzzle brakes and the stocks on these two models? I am thinking that I would prefer a synthetic stock, such as a Bell & Carlson. From what I can tell, Ruger does not offer such with either of these models. I could always change out the stock after purchase if I had to, but I would prefer to get what I want to start with. Your thoughts about the stocks? What did you like and not like about the two models? Thanks!

I've not felt the muzzle brakes were needed so I don't use them. I had the GG for a few years, during which the stock chipped away a little right behind the tang but it never became what I considered a problem. I figure it was the stock breaking in smile I switched over to the FTW model for a couple extra barrel inches and slightly lighter weight. The stocks in both platforms work fine enough for me but I think they are the limiting factors if ultimate ergonomics or accuracy is desired. I figure if I need better accuracy for longer range or want to shoot more leisure rounds, I have rifles better suited to that. My 375 is "a few zeroing and one hunting round a year" rifle.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My .375 GG front guard screw loosened early on. Shifting POI was the clue. Tightened, but loosened again. At that point read the manual (duh). Lotta torque on that guy. Has not moved since. A loose barreled action will impact load the heck out of any stock.

Like mine, shoots 270, 285, 300s to about same POI. 235s about 1.5" above that.

Blast from the brake runs oblique to the rear, not directly behind the gun. Shooting it don't appreciate any increased noise. Hunt alone. Ears now so bad must hunt with electronic muffs. Makes the brake a non-concern. With 300s feels like an '06 with 180s or 200s. Can shoot it like a varmint gun. Given the foregoing, no reason to remove it.

Got the Guide b/c of the adjustable length of pull. Ditched the spacers, use a Pachmayr decelerator slip-on at the range, no pad with cold weather clothing, length just right.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
752 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 87 invisible), 2,851 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.